mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Critical sinus Options
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 11:41:54 AM

Neurons: 592
I have a runny nose. I sneeze uncountably every morning. I indeed very sensitive to dust. Luckily, no pimples around my nose like some of those who have the same problem as mine have. Any of you who is enduring such disease, what do you do to cure your runny nose?
Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:25:09 PM

Neurons: 18,102
Really, I don't know of much to stop a runny nose. I have sinus trouble all the time. If it is dust-caused, you might try a neti pot with saline rinse to see if it can flush the dust from your sinuses and thus help stop the constant drip. I pretty much just use a lot of tissues when it happens and during the winter, the central heating at work dries my nose out so I get constant nose bleeds and have to use a saline gel.

Beyond that, google ideas on how to lessen dust in your environment. You can get special sheets and pillows that will help you sleep and HEPA filters aren't too much for a regular-sized room, depending on what you want out of it, anyway. My sister also has a humidifier for her room, which may prove advantageous.
Mr. Montag
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:32:44 PM

Neurons: 118
Raparee pretty much covered it. You sound like you are suffering from allergies, or an allergic reaction.
Again, as was suggested, cleaning your immediate environment, of, and limiting you contact to dust, is a start.
Dust is however not the only cause. Pollen, plant exposure,animals dander, diet or even fabrics (wools for example) can also be
sources of allegens. In America allergy shots and anti-histamines are available. I would look up nature solutions as Raparee suggested,
or a DE-Himidifier. This lessens the humidity, which can stop dust mites from thriving.
McGill
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:51:47 PM

Neurons: 15
In addition to the above replies. If you do not have stomach issues, you can try taking 500 - 1000 mg of vitamin C per day. This worked for me.

Good Luck!
Rhondish
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 2:39:49 PM

Neurons: 787
You could be reacting to pollens. Try local honey - it must be local. It works on the same principle as immunization, you are putting small amounts of the allegen into your system and allowing your body immune system to build up resistance.

I live in New Hampshire, in the US, and I used to have a horrible time with allergies every Spring and Fall due to a variety of tree, grass and plant pollens. I have been on the local honey regimin (1 to 2 Tablespoons a Day - taken whole or in my Am and PM tea) for close to a decade with remarkable success.
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:17:15 PM

Sometimes I can't breathe through my nose as if something is stuck in my nose. I used to breathe through my mouth. After I got injected in a clinic, I can now breather normally. I will take all the advices and practice clean environment starting from now. Thank you!
Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:33:32 PM

KhaleeqaIDRUS wrote:
Sometimes I can't breathe through my nose as if something is stuck in my nose. I used to breathe through my mouth. After I got injected in a clinic, I can now breather normally. I will take all the advices and practice clean environment starting from now. Thank you!

Whew! That sounds bad. :( Definitely try Rhondish's idea of the local honey. It will work wonders if you're allergic to more than dust. In most cases, people allergic to dust are sensitive to other allergens, so it will boost that and add a bit more local flavor to your immune system. You may want to wear a mask while cleaning, just to keep the exposure down. I'd say try some things for a month and see how you feel after, then update us to let us know. :D
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:52:42 PM

The doctor himself said that my sinus was really bad. I had once faced difficulty in expectorating the mucus in my lungs. I was given some pills to melt the mucus so it would be easy for me to expectorate it Sick I haven't use a mask while cleaning so far but will definitely do as advised after this :) If there is any improvement, I will let you all know. Thank you so much :D
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:59:20 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Khalee, I have had sinus problems all my life, but I have never heard the honey suggestion, going out to buy local honey. I try and avoid milk & dairy products, they seem to make it worse. In the spring when you can see the pollens in the air, we all duck for cover.
Do your cheek bones and eye brow bones pain? I have wanted to use a Neti Pot but I'am sure I would drown my self.
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 3:54:23 AM

Tovarish,
No, my cheek bones and eye brow bones are not pain. Luckily, I don't drink milk. I never knew that milk and dairy products make it worse. However, I've already eaten honey for quite some times and it works :)
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:20:32 AM

Tovarish wrote:
I have wanted to use a Neti Pot but I'am sure I would drown my self.

Pardon the giggle (I wondered the same thing myself), but really, you can't drown yourself with it (well, unless you really, really try). Gravity will send it from one side to the other. You actually can allow it get further down in the throat, but you rather naturally gargle (hork) that back up.

The only problem I've had with the neti pot is that sometimes, my sinuses are just too blocked up and the saline just can't get past it.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:34:39 AM

Just my sense of humor Raparee, but I really must have a try one day.
cleopatra clover
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 9:57:13 AM

Neurons: 999
Khaleeqa, I think what Raparee wrote in his earlier post about taking local honey is true.
You should try taking it everyday. I had the same problem when I was younger.
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 12:31:44 PM

I might sound silly for saying this but I honestly do not know what neti pot is ><" Cleopatra, I've taken the honey for quite some times and it really works. I realize that if I stop taking it, my sinus will become worse than ever. Like what you've just said, I should take it everyday. Anyway, can sinus be cured completely?
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:08:02 PM

KhaleeqaIDRUS wrote:
I might sound silly for saying this but I honestly do not know what neti pot is ><

Google - Neti Pot

It looks like a mini teapot. :) You essentially use it to make a saline rinse. Then you tip your head to the side and insert the spout in one side of your nose, pouring the saline solution gently into the sinus area and letting it rinse any contaminants out through the other side. Then you reverse and do the same for both sides. You can get non-pot type ones (my sister has one that is more of a squeezy-tube).
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:18:22 PM

Raparee, that sounds daunting. I've actually never heard of it and I doubt I can find it in Malaysia. Have you tried it before? How did it feel?
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 1:27:37 PM

KhaleeqaIDRUS wrote:
Raparee, that sounds daunting. I've actually never heard of it and I doubt I can find it in Malaysia. Have you tried it before? How did it feel?

Well, since I have nasty sinus infections yearly and most clinics don't want to give you antibiotics until after 7-10 days of insane suffering, I was willing to try anything. ;)

The experience is slightly bizarre. If you've ever inadvertantly snorted salt water, it feels like that, though not nearly so burny. The saline is a light saline (not like sea water) and should not burn or hurt. The water is warm, but not too hot and not too cold because either extreme will feel more uncomfortable (aiii...too cold and it is unpleasant). You do tend to feel like your sinuses are more "open" after, so long as it actually worked. If you're too blocked, forget it. Oh, and if you are getting crud out, that crud is going to drip out and into the sink, just a warning. ;)

If you cannot find a neti pot (and they are all over the place, probably even in your area - I think they originated with yoga, oddly enough), you can try the soft rubber bulbs often used for babies (ears and noses) or any small spouted device. Get creative, so long as you clean it and control the flow. :D

This site has a homemade saline rinse recipe and directions on how it works and what it hopes to accomplish. I have used the recipe and it does work well.
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 8:37:45 PM

Even now I can feel the unpleasantness. *snort* Anyhow, I'm grateful that my nose is okay for the moment. I can breathe normally through my nose. But if the sinus come back (I'm not sure about the correct verb to use), maybe I'll try to get the neti pot. Can sinus be cured completely?
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:01:37 PM

See, its already working. Ha Ha
Raparee
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 10:21:23 PM

KhaleeqaIDRUS wrote:
Even now I can feel the unpleasantness. *snort* Anyhow, I'm grateful that my nose is okay for the moment. I can breathe normally through my nose. But if the sinus come back (I'm not sure about the correct verb to use), maybe I'll try to get the neti pot. Can sinus be cured completely?

Hee! Really, it's not that bad and if it helps, trust me, it's worth it. It's just different the first few times until you get used to it. :)

As for being cured? The closest you will get is sinus surgery, which for extreme sufferers is often considered a godsend. I want to say they cauterize, but am not entirely sure.
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2010 11:24:27 PM

Tovarish, how about you? Have you tried the neti pot? :D Raparee, thank for the advises. I will definitely suggest the neti pot to my mother. She'd be glad to know there's a way to cure my sinus because she was already irritated to hear me sneezed almost everyday, every morning back then before I got injected and took the honey. The unpleasantness of neti pot .. I shall deal with it. The bitter is the medicine, the sweet is the poison, the Malays always say that.
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2010 7:00:40 AM

No I havnt tried it Khalee, I am sure I would drown my self, ha ha,
BUT I am game if you are, what say we both try it??
I will report back to you on my progress.
That is of course if I havn't drowned!!!!
KhaleeqaIDRUS
Posted: Saturday, February 20, 2010 12:05:12 AM

It's not that I don't want to try, but it's just ... I don't think I can find the neti pot in Malaysia. Hahaha ><" Why don't you try first? :D And make sure your report back here ;D Okey Tovarish? Lalalala Whistle
capo403
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:58:15 PM

Neurons: 1,815
I took a combination of apple cider vinegar and local honey during allergy (hay fever) season for several years. At first, it worked only temporarily, but for over ten years now, I have been virtually allergy-free. If I do have a reaction when pollen counts are very high, it is very mild.

I have tried the neti-pot recently (I still have sinusitis) and it really works! It has also caused me to gag on occasion, usually when I'm especially congested.

Have you read the article on this forum about postnasal depression? Oh, wait...that was postnatal depression.
marylamb
Posted: Thursday, April 8, 2010 10:58:02 AM

Neurons: 1,017
You may have allergic Rhinitis. You need to find out what you are allergic to and avoid it if you can. What was your injection? Cortisone? That medication has side effects like diabetes and obesity. Try wearing a mask when outside or move to a drier climate.