mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Merengue Festival Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,641
Merengue Festival

The merengue is a lively Caribbean dance that originated in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. The world's most famous merengue festival takes place in Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic's capital city, where outdoor stages are set up along the city's waterfront, and top bands play merengue music while couples swirl and shake to the fast-paced, pulsating rhythms. In addition to watching the performances and competitions among merengue dancers, festivalgoers can enjoy the music of DJs and bands on the street, imbibe rum and beer, and eat the signature pork sandwiches, chimichurris. More...
AnjanaDutt
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 4:15:30 AM

Neurons: 18,392
I wish I was there! This is what I call fun while you dance!!
Alenka
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:18:06 AM

Neurons: 183,010
What a wonderful event!!!Applause
Alenka
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 5:19:25 AM

Neurons: 183,010
I'd like to learn this merengue danceDancing
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:30:34 AM

Neurons: 7,687,248
My favourite festival!!

The history and evolution of the merengue is very complex, involving influences from both inside and outside of the Dominican Republic. However, one questions still remains unanswered by ethnomusicologists. From where did the merengue originally evolve? We know that the music was heavily influenced by the contradanza from Europe and then by Afro-Caribbean influences from Hispaniola. Nevertheless, there is an ongoing struggle between the Dominican Republic and Haiti on whose music is the merengue. Ethnomusicologist Jean Fouchard has theorized that the Haitian meringue evolved from different slave music such as chica and balenda fusing with the French contredanse. He then states that the Dominican merengue developed directly from Haitian meringue as manual labor from Haiti would enter the Dominican Republic on a daily basis for work. Other ethnomusicologists from both countries have made claims that the merengue started in their countries, and most people will refuse to believe anything else. It must be understood that while the Dominican Republic claims the merengue as their source of national pride, Haitians also claim their meringue to be the same for them. Haitians embrace the Afro-Caribbean heritage of the dance, while the Dominicans do not acknowledge it. Due to the Haitian invasion of 1822, the Dominicans still harbor ill feelings towards their neighboring country and it would be a crushing loss if they ever were forced to believe that the merengue is Haitian in origin. On which side of the island merengue originally developed we may never know, but it is no longer an important aspect of what makes merengue the way it is. The two merengues diverged shortly after they began, the Haitian meringue becoming a slower, guitar based music while the Dominican merengue has become the international success it is today. This is ironically related to the way the two countries have developed. We find the Dominican Republic to have become a much more flourishing country than Haiti, which has become the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. Even if the Haitians did originally develop this music genre, it was the Dominicans who triumphed in making their version popular.

http://www.heritageinstitute.com/danceinfo/descriptions/merengue.htm
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:12:58 AM

Neurons: 2,787

How I wish to get this favourite festival in reality