mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
palpable Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,932
palpable

(adjective) Capable of being handled, touched, or felt.

Synonyms: tangible

Usage: Every time she held the skimmer under the pump to cool it for the work her hand trembled, the ardor of his affection being so palpable that she seemed to flinch under it like a plant in too burning a sun.
Joy Frohlich
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:25:03 AM

Neurons: 240,520
I always associate this word with the "Is this a dagger that I see before me ..." speech from Macbeth. It goes on "I see thee yet in form as PALPABLE as this which now I draw and such an instrument I was to use".
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 4:41:28 AM

Neurons: 2,787

My Princess Mona... though like this flame of my love as time goes by may seem more palpable, do you recall a day in the past when your sleeve flapped close to mine?

io4yiu
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 6:30:00 AM

Neurons: 162,013
Is this word then carries a negative tone of usage then the word conspicuous ..?

ElizabethBennet
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 10:22:06 AM

Neurons: 59,891
I always thought 'palpable' is something which i can phisically tocuh with my hand, though it appears to have a deeper meaning also.My bad.. d'oh! I find great relish in learning something new each day on this site.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:21:39 PM

Neurons: 7,758,423
The adjective palpable means able to be felt or touched, easily perceived by the senses, or clear to the mind.

"palpable. The work that has yet to be done is palpable from the crowded paper of amendments with which the House is faced. A good illustration of the need for caution in handling dead metaphors. Palpable means literally touchable, or perceptible by touch; that meaning is freely extended to perceptible by any of the senses, and even to appreciable by the intelligence. The final extension is necessary here, and would pass but for the from phrase that is attached. From the paper implies sensuous perception; when intellectual inference is intended the dead metaphor is stimulated into angry life by the inconsistency."
(Henry W. Fowler and Ernest Gowers, A Dictionary of Modern English Usage, 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, 1965)
walirlan
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 4:58:06 AM

Neurons: 253,078
1: capable of being touched or felt : perceptible to the sense of touch : tangible

<a barely palpable dust>
<an enlarged palpable spleen>

2: easily perceptible by one or another of the senses other than touch : noticeable, patent

3: easily perceptible by the mind : plain, distinct, obvious, manifest

<a palpable absurdity>
<such palpable impostures>