The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The world knows of Rosa Parks because of a single, simple act of dignity and courage that struck a l Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 84,825
The world knows of Rosa Parks because of a single, simple act of dignity and courage that struck a lethal blow to the foundations of legal bigotry.

Bill Clinton (1946-)
nott
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:13:55 PM

Neurons: 27
well, I don't know about Rosa Parks. Possibly I am not of this world. But I do know about Clinton, and why should I be impressed by whatever he has ever said?

MarySM
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:55:11 PM

Neurons: 6,084
Nott: I see this is your first post. Welcome!

Rosa Parks was an unknown seamstress who refused to relinquish her bus seat to a white passenger on Dec. 1, 1955. This happened in Montgomery, Alabama. She was arrested and fined but her protest started the movement that ended legal segregation in the United States.

I understand that some individuals do not like Bill Clinton but Rosa Parks and her struggle is worth talking about.

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery." Samuel Smiles
nott
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 7:40:10 PM

ignorance doesn't hurt, you know...

I've heard the story, only never cared about remembering the name nor date. Some countries in this world have just never had a race problem, you know? Never bothered to create one.

I reacted to this particular quotation for two reasons:
1. that the reputable TFD quotes Clinton; but I understand that some people actually do like him.
2. that you Americans just can't imagine there is something more to world and humanity than the US of A and its inhabitants, and that US problems are somehow local. Clinton is quite a good example of this mentality, incidentally.

Thanks for the information, though, now I will look less of a barbarian from behind the Pond :)

oxymoron
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 12:45:48 PM

Neurons: 845
If it were not for slavery there would be no USA. The only reason america and europe exsist is due to the 400 years of toil and sweat from peoples who were unpaid, hunted and murdered in their thousandsin most every conceivable way; disregarded, even after shedding blood in white mens wars, they could not ride a bus or drink water from a fountain alongside whites, you sir (nott) are the lowest form of life, lower than a snakes rectum.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. Jiddu Krishnamurti

.wichitarick
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 5:14:14 PM

Neurons: 752

Hi
Quote:
The world knows of Rosa Parks because of a single, simple act of dignity and courage that struck a lethal blow to the foundations of legal bigotry.

Ouch! DisclaimerShame on you I would not sit next to Mr. Clinton on a bus OR at a lunch counter because all I would do is run my mouth about how I voted and he cheated and lied .!Liar
I LOVE Rosa ! "because" her feet hurt!
I have always wondered why I do not know the persons name she refused to give the seat to?

I have sore feet a lot and myself and a co worker used to make jokes about Dr Scholls using Rosa as a marketing tool.
Something like Think "parks pads" or "when you have to give up your seat"
I have seen all types of racism and would give up my seat to most people just because they were the elder .
Although a white person might have been beat for that in 50,s Little Rock .
Rick

Read to your kid they will read with you,re neighbors kid
It is not the crazy people you worry about ....It is the one,s that don,t know it!
will
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:43:54 AM

Neurons: 4,830
nott wrote:
well, I don't know about Rosa Parks. Possibly I am not of this world. But I do know about Clinton, and why should I be impressed by whatever he has ever said?

Because he knows or cares to know who Rosa Parks is. That would be one reason.
nott
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:55:42 PM

will wrote:
nott wrote:

Because he knows or cares to know who Rosa Parks is. That would be one reason.

And I already know who Rosa Parks is. From now on, I expect you to be sincerely impressed by my utterances.

As for Clinton, the other reasons would be his widely known moral integrity, strict adherence to truth, radical independence of thought, and broad mind with no horizons in sight, I presume. Please don't hesitate to correct me, if I am wrong.

nott
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:57:25 PM

oxymoron wrote:
If it were not for slavery there would be no USA. The only reason america and europe exsist is due to the 400 years of toil and sweat from peoples who were unpaid, hunted and murdered in their thousandsin most every conceivable way; disregarded, even after shedding blood in white mens wars, they could not ride a bus or drink water from a fountain alongside whites, you sir (nott) are the lowest form of life, lower than a snakes rectum.

Love you too, oxy. Ever so thrilling to meet ubermensch.