mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Salutation for multiple addressees in a business email Options
EliBlu
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:32:44 AM

Neurons: 21
What is an appropriate salutation for multiple addressees in a business letter or email?

Typical recipiens are our agents/distributors or our customers. We know them, the letters are not generic.
Often I have to write to a couple of male addressees (one of those is the Boss of their company) and often also females in CC so I think that "Dear Sirs" is not very kind in respect of the ladies. But "Ladies and Gentlemen" is too generic and too formal.
We call the boss Mr.XXX, but we call the other people in CC with their first names. I don't have to be too formal, but also not too informal. Somewhere in the middle.

In the past I was opening with "Good morning" and that was all Think but there must be something better.

Thank you very much in advance!

PS: one collegue would use: "Dears," but I think it doesn't exist. Who's right between us? d'oh!
bird's eye view
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 6:29:46 AM

Neurons: 504
Hello EliBlu and welcome to this forum. In my experience, if the letter is written to Mr. XXX, you need not include the people to be copied (cc) in your salutation / greeting. You simply copy them and they read what you have sent to Mr. XXX without expecting to be greeted. However, if you want to include all the recipients in your greeting, I would simply write, "Good morning everyone, ...". I hope this is helpful to you?
Dreamy
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:33:17 AM

Neurons: 10,806
bird's eye view wrote:
Hello EliBlu and welcome to this forum. In my experience, if the letter is written to Mr. XXX, you need not include the people to be copied (cc) in your salutation / greeting. You simply copy them and they read what you have sent to Mr. XXX without expecting to be greeted. However, if you want to include all the recipients in your greeting, I would simply write, "Good morning everyone, ...". I hope this is helpful to you?

Hi EliBlu,
Most of the business emails I receive and send simply use "Hi".

eg. Hi Michael,or Hi Mr.XXX.

At first I found this a little informal but now I realise it cuts through the awkwardness of using the formality "Dear" when emails are sometimes only a sentence or a few words in content, and are simply acknowledging this or that more like a conversation than a letter.