mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Data Recoverable on Some Used Phones Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Data Recoverable on Some Used Phones

If you are in the habit of snapping racy selfies with your smartphone, you may want to think twice about reselling it when you get a new one. Security firm Avast purchased 20 used Android devices on eBay and managed to recover the previous owners' data from at least some of them, including emails, text messages, Google searches, and 40,000 photos—more than 1,000 of which featured the subject in various states of undress. Google responded to the report, saying that the phones in question are older models that do not reflect current Android protections, but security researchers caution that the only way to fully protect your data on any device is to destroy it entirely. More...
Alexander Lo
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:07:12 AM

Neurons: 86,669
I like my flip phone; it serves the purpose. I guess I have one less thing to worry about.
MechPebbles
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 1:56:34 AM

Neurons: 226,313
Alexander Lo wrote:
I like my flip phone; it serves the purpose. I guess I have one less thing to worry about.

Alexander, I salute you.
Pieter_Hove
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 7:54:17 PM

Neurons: 805,365
Daemon wrote:
Data Recoverable on Some Used Phones

If you are in the habit of snapping racy selfies with your smartphone, you may want to think twice about reselling it when you get a new one. Security firm Avast purchased 20 used Android devices on eBay and managed to recover the previous owners' data from at least some of them, including emails, text messages, Google searches, and 40,000 photos—more than 1,000 of which featured the subject in various states of undress. Google responded to the report, saying that the phones in question are older models that do not reflect current Android protections, but security researchers caution that the only way to fully protect your data on any device is to destroy it entirely. More...

Destroy my old iPhone 3G? You mean, take a hammer and slam it in pieces? That would require my buying a gas mask: http://ifixit.org/blog/3443/chemical-analysis-reveals-that-new-phones-have-fewer-toxics/. Dirty business.