The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

that time/ then/ at that time. Options
s21d
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:23:18 PM

Neurons: 8,364
Kindly tell me what's the difference among then/ that time/ at that time.

For e.g- Ram- I knocked on your door, but nobody answered it.
Tom- Oh! I wasn't home then/ that time/ at that time.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:42:09 PM

Neurons: 66,996
"then" and "at that time" would be the two I would use, and both would mean the same thing, and both would indicate that specific time of day.

However, "that time" would only be used if you were aware of an additional occurrence.

For example, the person came by in the morning, knocked on your door for the first time, and you answered.

However, later in the day, that same person came by, knocked on the door, and you were not home. You could then say, "I wasn't at home that time (when you knocked the second time. The emphasis is on the second occasion, not the time of day.)."
The Realist
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 1:10:56 PM

Neurons: 4,920
Was not home when you came by.
Kilda
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 1:43:27 PM

Neurons: 543,415
There is no major difference. When you recall a moment in the past, you could say then which is commoner, or at that time which is more formal and not used in daily conversations. Then just explains the particular time period you're referring to. For example: A: Did you catch the game yesterday? B: No, I was working then. You could say that time too, but it's not very common.

Also, when you're merely talking about a memory which took place a long time ago, you could use in those times or in those days. For example: During the 90's almost nobody had cellphones. So in those days we had to call people from a telephone.