mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
A moment please, for the good old days of being a child Options
jupiter
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:23:37 AM

Neurons: 170
There are so many memories of our childhood which are stamped, inked and imprinted in our minds through the constant remembrance sought by those who saw us take our first few tiny steps.It may be heard very often that as children we were very inquisitive and eager to know of anything and everything that came in the slightest contact with our senses,an excited glint at anything new was never missed.That gives room for loads of interesting real life stories.

I believe each one will have something very interesting to say about his/er childhood. Memories anyone? be it the naughty ones,the haughty ones,the mighty ones or even the cutie ones.
How do you remember yourself as a child?
Seeker
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:05:31 AM

Neurons: 1,715
jupiter wrote:
...It may be heard very often that as children we were very inquisitive and eager to know of anything and everything that came in the slightest contact with our senses,an excited glint at anything new was never missed.That gives room for loads of interesting real life stories...

WHAT???? You mean I'm not a child any more??? I'm an adult?? OMG!!!!!! Anxious Anxious Anxious
Jeech
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:47:54 AM

Neurons: 4,436
For a while I really was going to believe that I've lost my childhood. Thanks for reminding me I still have a child in me.

"Dreams of future to keep you young."Whistle
Cass
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 12:11:14 PM

Neurons: 1,770
How do I remember myself as a child? Pretty boring. As the oldest of four children I had responsibilities. I was a run-of-the-mill student and I didn't come to life until I was 15 years old and had to leave school to bring in some money. Consequently I now tap dance in malls if I have on the right shoes, wear the current fashions and have my hair done in the current style because I am old enough to not care what anyone thinks. It is so liberating that I call it my second childhood. I daresay a lot of other people do so, as well!
The Saurus
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:34:43 PM

Neurons: 762
I keep my childlike ways alive by arguing with people on the internet.
gatodepatasblancas
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:35:49 PM

Neurons: 66
Why, and I thought I was really a boring adult.

The grass under my feet, drinking water from any faucet (and not form a plastic bottle), no cell phone, playing with my school friends, learning from a book (well now I learn from books and Internet, but I keep learning), riding a bike on the street (without care for the cars), playing soccer in the middle of the street...

My oh my!, my childhood memories are still fresh, and I can do all of them.

I guess in my heart, I'm still a child.

That means I will live forever.
kaleem
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:14:33 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Yes, I still have a child in me too, that comes out from nowhere and disappears after pulling the tail of a dog. Some time, I feel the memories of childhood are better than dreams of today.
Christine
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:23:52 PM

Neurons: 15,842
One of my earliest memory was me standing at my grandmother's table. The top was marble and I would feel the coldness and wondering why the another furniture were not cold.

Geeman
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:48:53 PM

Neurons: 125,022
This is weird, but my strongest memory of childhood is of indignation at being so consistently patronized. Seriously. I was too well-mannered to say anything, but had I the gumption back then, I'd have ripped into a few "adults" who talked down to me when I was little. I couldn't stand meeting adults because of the mealy-mouthed, smarmy way they spoke to me. It wasn't until I hit my middle teens that I started letting people know I wouldn't stand for that kind of thing... but by then it was kind of obvious.
jupiter
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:19:12 AM

A story of the elusive forest brigand Veerappan(1952-2004) gets vividly described at my family get-togethers and here’s how it goes…

There was this period(1990s) in my state when the atrocities of the robber bandit Veerappan had reached such peaks of notoriety that he had become a hot topic of discussion under every roof. His name was more than just effective in triggering the fear hormone in the innocent yet unruly minds, we as kids possessed. We were fed the fear inducing stories of his misdeeds en effet our nutritious (unpalatable) food.

Having heard enough of his killing people, poaching elephants, smuggling ivory and sandalwood, my cousin and I took it on ourselves to bring the criminal to justice(this again is rarely seen in adults, it’s for them always the government’s task or the official’s task or some special force’s task never theirs!)

My cousin having an uncanny nerve for adventure or what ever else it was, inspired me to overcome my own fears and thus we set out on our mission valiantly with the confidence not familiar to the adult world. Our trusted weapons being the pawpaw stalk to knock the villain out with and hot chilly powder to set his eyes on fire!
It never occurred to us that we would need a ladder to level ourselves up to the man we sought.

We were only a few feet away from our house after successfully sneaking out of it when we were caught not by veerappan’s men but by our own dear grandmother, reprimanded and taken safely back to her loving custody. We were then taught not to do things without adult consent which we no doubt perceived as not to get caught the next time.
Who knows in what manner the gross mustache would have been caught had it not been for my granz then, is all I can wonder if I may now!
risadr
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 8:40:28 AM

Neurons: 3,545
Being not so far removed from childhood, and having a young child myself, I find that I still have very much of my childhood left in me.

I was 16 when I started working full time to help my single mother take care of my three younger siblings, and the home, but before that, I spent most afternoons outside with my friends -- riding bikes, climbing trees, and generally getting into mischief until our parents called us in to dinner when the streetlights came on. It terrifies me to think that my own daughter might not get to have the same experiences, because of the ways that our culture has changed -- so many children would rather be inside playing video games than outside riding bikes. It's a shame, really...
Geeman
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:12:43 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Christine's post reminded me of something from my childhood. My grandmother used to bake. A lot. All her kids and grandkids got a cake on their birthdays. She had four children, each of whom went off and had 4-8 (my family, with four children, was the smallest) of their own. And her grandkids bred pretty soon. Plus, there were wives/husbands to cook for. And every month she'd deliver these chocolate chip cookies to each of the families. Then there were holidays. I once did the math on her baking and it turns out she was doing a pretty major baking job at least once, usually twice and sometimes three or four times a week.

The big memory I have of her is of her making rolls for dinner. She had this way of taking the dough in her hands and doing some weird, prestidigitation with it so that it would arrive in just a heartbeat at her fingertips as a perfect sphere. It wasn't simply rolled out with her palm on the table the way most people would do it. When I took a bit of dough and rolled it out on the table with my palm it came out much less round and substantially more crinkled than those she made. I watched her do it dozens of times, but was never able to figure out how her fingers worked the dough into that shape without using her palm at all even though she showed me several times. It was like watching a magician explain the trick as you watch, but still believing it was magic....

God, I wish I knew how she did that. Anyone seen this kind of thing done?
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2010 6:29:28 PM

Neurons: 4,778
One of the memories that shaped my personality was my dad playing music from Boston and Wang Chun and acting like a complete goof while jamming on makeshift instruments. I now do the same thing, and burst out into goofy dance maneuvers when I hear a song that dictates I should do so. My girlfriend took a few years to adjust, but she does not even bat an eyelash or even acknowledge that I do this anymore and continues whatever conversation we were having at the time as though nothing out of the ordinary has occurred.

Playing a cheaply emulated version of "American Gladiators" with Nerf toys on jungle gyms was excellent fun. I spent countless hours playing this with my friends.

One of the other memories I really enjoy is when a few of my friends, my brother, my sister, and myself began live action role playing when we were in elementary school. We chose to have the setting based in ancient Egypt and used our surroundings of the UCSD student housing as a means to explore, simply using our imagination to make student housing into ancient Egypt. The students must have been rather confused as to what we were up to, as we'd run away from them all, since the story we were playing in had us on the run. There is quite a lot of fun in exercising your imagination, we even ended up improvising outfits, tools, and all sorts of props that we would use in our adventures. Nowadays, my imagination is mostly limited to my shoddy writing and weekly pen and paper role playing games.

marenet
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 12:56:03 AM

Neurons: 6
My childhood involved having a pacifier until I was 10 years old. Watching my grandma cooking and having the first one to taste it straight from the oven. Drinking cooking oil that was laid on the table (in a glass) when I thought it was the water I asked for. Or having a grand time during the household help 'day off' - as I get to plant sugarcane, wear those big hats and loose shirts (borrowed from them) without my grandparents knowledge. This is the best!
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 6:22:24 AM

Neurons: 39,933
What a lovely post, thank you Jupiter.
Does a lot of good to remember the good times, its very easy to only remember the dark ones.
I can remember waiting for the Christmas stamp, sound silly now but a new stamp was a novelty then, before the Post Office became corporate.
It is so good to see so many people relating good times with cooking/baking, the kitchen really is the soul of a home.
jupiter
Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2010 8:22:08 AM

Geeman, I have observed chefs turn the dough a few times with a movement of their fingers which definately involves several sophesticated physics patterns and toss it into air with the right angle of projection and a thrust that's neither above nor below the exact amount needed and voila the required shape is ready for further processing!
Apparently it's only practice and not physics that helps the cause of getting the right shape.

Tovarish, it was my pleasure!
Reminiscing over childhood,I love it any day.