mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Looking for a translation for a tattoo Options
11neil11
Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2010 7:31:56 AM

Neurons: 21
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and was hoping for a translation to italian of a phrase I'm thinking of getting tattooed. The phrase is "family comes first", I've used a few free translators on the Internet and got some different results, a couple were very similar to each other with small differences. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
11neil11
Posted: Friday, February 5, 2010 7:23:28 AM

This is a couple of translations I have found so far :
•La famiglia viene in primo luogo. (I have translated this back to English on another site and it came back as "family comes in the first instance". Similar but doesn't quite sound right. And also translated back using google translates to "the family comes first" which is perfect but would like to confirm it.
•La famiglia viene dapprima
76betty
Posted: Saturday, February 13, 2010 12:15:01 PM

Neurons: 15
Hi! "La famiglia viene in primo luogo" is correct, but "La famiglia viene al primo posto" is more idiomatic. I would rule out "La famiglia viene dapprima", as "dapprima" sounds odd at the end of a sentence. Another way of expressing the same concept: "la famiglia prima di tutto". I prefer this one!
11neil11
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:16:55 AM

76betty, thank you very much for your answers. Much appreciated. "la famiglia prima di tutto" obviously has the same meaning as "la famiglia viene in primo lougo" then? Thanks again, I will see which one of those two look best and make a decision from there. Thanks again.
EliBlu
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 2:35:09 AM

I also suggest "la famiglia prima di tutto". An Italian would say this in this way, even if the other two sentences are grammatically correct and perfectly understandable.
11neil11
Posted: Monday, February 15, 2010 10:55:47 AM

Eliblu, thanks for your reply also. I am yet to decide which one looks best but glad to get a couple replies so I can at least decide on which one I prefer. And also confirm that they do actually mean what their meant to mean. Thanks again.
winterlovexo
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:50:59 PM

Neurons: 3
Hi! I am also looking for an italian translation for a tattoo. I've looked on websites but they're giving me all different responses. If it's possible, can someone translate "Count your blessings, not your troubles" for me? I got "Conti le vostre benedizioni, non vostre difficolta." Thank you!
11neil11
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:13:31 AM

Went for an Italian meal last night and asked the waiter to translate 'family comes first' for me and he wrote down 'priorita alla famiglia' which is pretty easy to translate back but have checked anyway on online translators and it reads 'priority to family'. Not exactly what I was looking for but has the same sort of meaning. Got decisions to make now. Any more feedback would be much appreciated.
marcy
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:07:20 AM

Neurons: 27
I would add the following translations as having the same meaning:
"La famiglia al di sopra di tutto" (family above everything)
"La famiglia al primo posto" (family is at 1st place)
"Prima viene la famiglia" (first comes the family)<-The latter sounds a bit more 'italian', informal but convey the key message.
11neil11
Posted: Friday, March 5, 2010 10:19:40 AM

Marcy, thank you for adding your thoughts to this. I like "La famiglia al di sopra di tutto" a lot, sounds much better I think. Looks like that is the one, think I'll go tomorrow and book it in.
11neil11
Posted: Wednesday, March 17, 2010 1:44:15 PM

Have definately decided "family above everything" is what I'm going for (still havnt gone for it - need to make sure it's perfect, don't want to rush in!), the only problem I have is that I've used several translators and there seems to be different variations of the same sentence in Italian. For example "la famiglia sopra tutto" as oppose to the above translation from marcy of "La famiglia al di sopra di tutto". I know they both basically say the same but wondered why they were different. Can anyone clear this up for me?? Thanks.
tenbatsu971
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2010 8:41:20 AM

Neurons: 9
EliBlu wrote:
I also suggest "la famiglia prima di tutto". An Italian would say this in this way, even if the other two sentences are grammatically correct and perfectly understandable.

hi 11neil11,
IMO the quote above is the best translation possible, i.e. the only one that really sounds italian speaking. Literally it means "first of all the family" but truly respects the meaning of "family above all".
"above all" literally could be translated into:
1. "sopra tutto" but it sounds too much similar to the word "soprattutto", italian word for "especially"
2. "al di sopra di tutto" but it's kind of a prosaic wording, "prima di tutto" is more colloquial