The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Giving chocolate Options
reinsalkas
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 2:32:36 PM

Neurons: 11,683

Hello, I was just watching a video of John Oliver about the World Cup and he said in one moment that Brazilians "loved to give up chocolate temporarily" when it was lent.

I don't understand what this expression means, can somebody tell me? Thanks in advanced.

You can look for the vide with this title: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: FIFA and the World Cup (HBO)

Or here it's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I&list=PLmKbqjSZR8TZa7wyVoVq2XMHxxWREyiFc&index=11
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:36:12 PM

Neurons: 55,476
reinsalkas,

I think the reason no-one has responded is because no-one else understands it either!

(Or maybe it's just me who doesn't?)
cstinsitu
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 3:46:56 PM

Neurons: 8,696
Lent is the 40 day period (beginning Ash Wednesday) leading to Easter. It is a time of preparation for the celebration of Christ's resurrection. It is customary to "give up" or abstain from something important or enjoyable during this season; hence "giving up chocolate". Really didn't
get this?
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:19:54 PM

Neurons: 55,476
Sorry - I didn't follow the lead to the context, just took the phrase in isolation and realised it must have sort of particular significance of which I was unaware. It didn't even occur to me that it was relating to Lent.
RamufAznag
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 7:20:53 PM

Neurons: 578,405
OK, my view is as follows:
It think that Lent's (the christian fasting thing) day is somehow (by magic!) related to the day at which Carnival day is set in a given year, by christian logic. So John says "they love to give up chocolate temporarily" as a way to link (or is it confuse?) the ideas of fasting for religious purposes (Quaresma [Lent]) and fasting for tiny bikini fitness purposes (Carnaval [Carnival]).

By the way, thank you for the link to the show's playlist. John Oliver's ffunny!
CovenantWord
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 8:00:51 PM

Neurons: 5,755
I hope a word of clarification might be of assistance. Lent is a period of fasting included in the liturgical calendar followed by some Christian denominations. However, whether the liturgical calendar itself is a Christian practice has been hotly debated from time to time in Church history. One of the arguments against it (other than it is not commanded in Scripture) is that it tends to foster religious hypocrisy.

Yours, Cov
Mr Epstein
Posted: Thursday, July 10, 2014 11:52:42 PM

Neurons: 354,485
Rein,

Lent is a time period (40 Days) prior to Easter during which observant Christians, mostly Catholics, typically refrain from one personal activity that is usually pleasurable. This isn't the only religion that has built in times of disciplinary refrain, some others that observe a similar practice are Jews, Muslims, Janists, Buddhists and others.

These days the practitioners "sacrifice" may seem comical e.g. tobacco, alcohol, sexual intercourse or certain foods, so much so that this practice is the butt of comics.

I don't understand the context of your statement coming from the Brazilian player unless it has to do with a perceived connection with fans sacrificing something in connection to the almighty looking favorably on this and therefore returning favor by nodding toward the Brazilian soccer team. But if you watched that Brazil Germany game you already know the outcome, the Brazilian team suffered their worst defeat in modern history. Draw your own conclusions.

KE
reinsalkas
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:10:29 AM

Neurons: 11,683

Thank you all! Now I get it. What troubled me was the "give up", I took the construction as "give" instead of what it really means. Now, the host is saying about Brazilians that they love to celebrate anything. He says (joking) that they celebrate that "it is about to be lent" by parading in the carnaval. Now, I knew about the fact that during lent you must refrainf from pleasures (in my country is just "eat fish, don't eat meat"), but as I said before, the give up makes sense now. They love to give up chocolate (a pleasure), temporarily (during the 40 days of lent), so they parade about that.

Basically I took give up as give over, like if they went over there giving over chocolate to anybody. Don't ask me how could it happen, it did :)
thar
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 7:14:02 AM

Neurons: 90,158
Yep, them phrasals will give you a headache!

give up (intransitive) - surrender, admit defeat
give up something (abstain from)