mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Ebola virus Options
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 10:17:39 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Footage of the outbreak of the Ebola virus in three countries in Africa is of great concern with a greater than 90% death rates.

I have posted in the Medical section of the forum before about the Hendra virus in Australia, killing many horses and several people.

The Hendra virus is carried by the fruit bat, about the size of a pigeon, from urine and other body fluids.

The Ebola virus this time is also carried by fruit bats, I believe it was previously thought that monkeys were responsible.

Our CSIRO has developed a vaccine for our horses against Hendra, lets hope a vaccine can also be developed for Ebola.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 2:37:15 AM

An addition to this information, the Hendra virus is contacted by horses and passed onto humans, with the Ebola virus humans seem to be the primary contact.

Ebola is much more virulent than Hendra, but still very much a Bio-Hazard.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 3:30:39 AM

Neurons: 57,489
My valiant little dog, who became the University mascot in China, died of canine ebola in China. I discovered that the city I was then living in was the Chinese "capital" of canine ebola. I hadn't even known such a strain existed.

Anyway, it was the most terrible death an animal of mine has ever had - so I hope it never gets to Oz.
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 4:38:55 AM

Rom, how terrible for you and your little dog, yes a dreadful death so far claiming 470 people in this outbreak in Africa.

I have never heard of an animal strain of Ebola, but I believe there was also the death of a dog in Queensland with the Hendra virus,

so they (viruses) seem to be able to cross species.

Rom, were there fruit bats where you were in China?,... also were you still in Queensland when Vic Rail died along with his horses?
Romany
Posted: Friday, July 4, 2014 7:31:59 AM

Tov.,

Yes, it was such a horrible experience it still makes me cry if I even come across a photo of Monkey.

And I never saw any wild-life whatsoever in China, let alone fruit bats. It's too industrialised. Or else hasn't recovered from the Great Famines enough for wild-life to proliferate.

No. I don't remember hearing about Vic Rail and his horses, so I must have been in China then (2006 - 2013)?
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 5:20:59 AM

I am amazed, not even birds?, how awful not to be able to hear birds singing or laughing, the things I take for granted.
Ray41
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 8:32:17 AM

Neurons: 45,980
Romany wrote:
Tov.,

Yes, it was such a horrible experience it still makes me cry if I even come across a photo of Monkey.

And I never saw any wild-life whatsoever in China, let alone fruit bats. It's too industrialised. Or else hasn't recovered from the Great Famines enough for wild-life to proliferate.

No. I don't remember hearing about Vic Rail and his horses, so I must have been in China then (2006 - 2013)?

Was in 1994 Romany. The two links will give you an idea of what was experienced.
Australia has lost a couple of top vets, plus a vet nurse, to this virus.

He was a very down to earth dinkum guy, quote:

"As you slide down the banister of life, you are bound to pick up a Splinter or Two in your Arse " - Queensland Horse Trainer Vic Rail.

http://www.queenslandhistoryofracing.com.au/people/vic-rail/

http://www.news.com.au/national/mystery-virus-fells-trainer/story-e6frfkp9-1225704641469

Romany
Posted: Saturday, July 5, 2014 9:24:55 AM

Oh, ok. '94 I was still in South Africa. Didn't get much Oz-news there.

Thanks for the links Ray - he sounds like a top guy.
Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM
Posted: Sunday, July 6, 2014 1:27:49 AM

Neurons: 54,261
Any wild animal can transmit Ebola: bats: monkeys. Dogs too

Here in Central and South America we have some new diseases like Chikungunya virus. Fortunately is not as lethal as Ebola

Previously on 2009 we had the first cases of swine flu

[image not available]

Tovarish
Posted: Monday, July 7, 2014 3:28:14 AM

We have very stringent quarantines about bringing in animals and animal products from overseas, thankfully we are an island and it is slightly easier to police.

These variants are frightening, thankfully the vaccine does protect our horses and the bat-horse cycle can be broken.
LostinSC
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 6:04:10 PM

Neurons: 1,328
Ebola is spreading across Africa. The US is sending 3000 military troops and funding $1Bb to stop the pandemic. President Obama declares ..Ebola outbreak, "is a potential threat to global security".

I, as a US taxpayer, agree with the POTUS on this approach.

Five thousand infected, 2,500 deaths.

http://time.com/3386936/ebola-timeline/

The news reports that this virus is not (yet) an airborne spreadable disease. I guess the definition of airborne comes into play here. If an infected person gets on an international flight, sneezes or coughs on a few fellow passengers seated nearby then they are subject to the infection. Just suppose they are traveling to Geneva, Rome, Paris, New York and Mexico City. Ebola has just escaped East Africa.

Tovy, your post has become more relevant with the passing months..

thar
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:42:37 AM

Neurons: 92,675
From a biological standpoint, it is extremely unlikely Ebola will mutate in such a drastic way as to become airborne. (It is different from plague, which has two phases, one spreads by contact, and once it reaches the lungs there is an airborne version). It is also different from bird flu/SARS.

It is very serious because it has such a high fatality rate once infected. But, in terms of transmission, it is such a problem because of where it is. It is spread by bodily fluids, and it can be contained by hospital hygiene procedures. It has spread in these countries in West Africa for several reasons.
1 - the poor health care facilities - the doctors and nurses do not have access to things the West takes for granted, such as gloves, and running water in clinics and hospitals.
2 funeral practices involve close contact with bodies - one sufferer infects a large number of people who attend the body during funeral rites and ceremonies.

and
3 there are areas where health care is unavailable or unaffordable, and distrust of the authorities including health care, so people do not seek treatment, and spread it further.

The disease is a killer, but the threat is not in its ease of transmission as such. It is its ease of transmission given the financial and social conditions in those countries.
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:05:20 AM

Neurons: 97,444
Nature throws up at her most intelligent (presumptuous?Liar ) creation, from time to time, challenges that are seemingly insurmountable, Tov.

thar:
The disease is a killer, but the threat is not in its ease of transmission as such. It is its ease of transmission given the financial and social conditions in those countries.

Very well put, thar
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:52:31 PM

An Australian nurse working for the Red Cross in Sierra Leone for the last month has shown an elevated temperature.

The procedure is to enforce home quarantine for 21 days following arrival back home, it was after 1 week that the temp was detected and the nurse

presented to Cairns Infectious Diseases Unit for a series of blood tests, the first test was negative for the disease so all are hoping the following two will also be negative.

Thar and AD, did I do something wrong?, I cant understand the top two posts.
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2014 3:52:52 AM

4,000 souls lost to Ebola in this outbreak.
Ni un voto al PRIAN PVEM
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 1:32:53 AM

Neurons: 54,261
In Spain people is very angry wit the Health Minister for bringing home the Physician Miguel Pajares who was working in Liberia. People says Spain was not ready to treat Ebola. Physicians working at Carlos III Hospital say they don't have a clue how to wear the protective suit. They rallied outside the Hospital while President Mariano Rajoy was inside.

Fortunately the nurse that got infected seems to doing ok
Tovarish
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2014 10:00:38 PM

Good news PP, the Aussie nurse has been released from hospital being cleared with her third blood test and is to return home for one more week of quarantine.

The impact of health workers returning home from this medical hot spot has to be treated with absolute respect for the possible transmission.