mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Alicia Alonso Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 102,711
Alicia Alonso

Alonso is a Cuban prima ballerina and choreographer. She danced in Broadway musicals before becoming a soloist with several leading companies, including the American Ballet Theatre, in 1939. She is best known for her work in Giselle and in Agnes de Mille's Fall River Legend. Her own works include La Tinaja, Ensayos Sinfonicos, and Lidia, all created for her company, which Alonso has continued to direct despite being almost blind. What caused her failing vision? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 3:10:22 AM

Neurons: 696,826
From the age of nineteen, Alicia was afflicted with an eye defect and was partially blind, she was diagnosed in 1941 with a detached retina.
TheParser
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 5:38:14 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Interesting, touching, inspiring article.

It raises the age-old questions: (1) SHOULD AN ARTIST PERFORM FOR A DICTATORSHIP? (2) SHOULD AUDIENCES BOYCOTT ARTISTS WHO DO?

monamagda
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:10:35 AM

Neurons: 8,341,104
HAPPY US FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY ALICIA!

At 90, almost blind and hard of hearing, retirement is not on Alicia Alonso’s agenda.

"Everybody has something to give in life and something that they want to achieve. I wanted to make a ballet company in Cuba professional. I had fame I was a great ballet dancer, a ballerina of the world, but I wanted Cuba to feel that and to have all this same opportunity for the dancers in Cuba. And that is my life. And I wanted very much and that is what is keeping me alive."
Alicia Alonso
At age 20, Alicia suffered two detached retinas which in 1941 was a difficult process to correct and she lost the peripheral vision in her right eye
Alexander Lo
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 7:30:07 PM

Neurons: 86,669
Well, time wash away many things. But she will always be remembered as one of the finest ballerina.