mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You, Or Can It? Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,641
What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You, Or Can It?

In medicine, early detection is a double-edged sword. It can mean the difference between life and death, but not always the way you might think. Being diagnosed with a medical condition can worsen a person's perception of his own well-being, and poor self-rated health has been linked to a greater risk of death. When it comes to minor conditions or "pre-disease" states, giving a patient a diagnosis could potentially do more harm than good. More...
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 6:16:42 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Very thoughtful article.

When push comes to shove, however, it is probably better for a person to know about "minor" problems.

I am glad to know that I have slightly elevated blood pressure. It encourages me to at least try to bring it down.

On the other hand, millions (billions?) of people in the world probably do not know about their slightly elevated blood pressure, and it will not make any material difference in their lives.

Minor problems have, indeed, often led to unnecessary tests (with nasty or even dangerous side effects).

Some people are probably getting too many unnecessary tests that involve radiation.

ellana
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:23:50 AM

Neurons: 127,363
Medical information needs to be well presented to the non medical person. A little bit of negative health information can be overly dramatised by some ill informed people, especially those who like to seek attention and/or sympathy. On the other hand, a well informed patient can heed medical advice and become pro-active in his/her treatment plan and make a difference. I for one, seek clarity in any medical consultation as I believe in being a full participant in what concerns me. But, having worked in healthcare my entire adult life, I have seen all aspects of responses to diagnostics. Not all doctors are equal in providing quality information and cynical me also sees the business side of things!!
The Realist
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:13:27 PM

Neurons: 4,920
The persons thoughts and emotions play a role with his/her illness.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 5:44:18 PM

Neurons: 22,062
ellana wrote:
Not all doctors are equal in providing quality information.

So true!

Accurate diagnosis is the key.

Here in the States, doctors have so many patients that they spend very little time with each patient and do not prepare ahead of time. When they enter the examination room, they then turn on the computer and quickly review the patient's case.

In theory, a doctor the day before an appointment should review the case.

In reality, that is just not possible.
Alexander Lo
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 9:41:57 PM

Neurons: 86,669
Ignorance is power!
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 12:11:45 AM

Neurons: 350,106
What you don't know about epigenetics (above genetics) hurts people, even kills people, every day.

Research an anti-inflammatory diet.

Don't be a chump and think Big Pharma, which controls medical schooling (not education, but schooling... training in what they want you to believe, not training in how to systematically discern truth), will tell you how to minimize Big Pharma's profits by being well.

As an aside, John D. Rockefeller (an almost assuredly every other Rockefeller), the European royalty and the top levels of the international banking cartel eschew allopathic medicine... you can read about it in the book Rockefeller Medicine Men and note that David de Rothschild has a degree in naturopathic medicine.

The oligarchs teach the serfs that the oligarch medical systems are "quackery" so that they will never investigate them.

Humans, as a whole, are such appeal to authority lemmings.