mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Health Videos on the Net Often Uninformative, Misleading Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
Health Videos on the Net Often Uninformative, Misleading

In the age of the Internet, everyone is a doctor, or at least, everyone thinks he is. With boundless information at our fingertips, self-diagnosis is now commonplace. But beware, as this can have dangerous consequences. Researchers found that the most viewed and "liked" YouTube videos about managing high blood pressure are often uninformative and sometimes even misleading. The presence of this sort of medical misinformation on the Web is certainly not isolated to this one condition, so people need to take care when trying to self-manage their health. More...
Alexander Lo
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 2:54:17 AM

Neurons: 86,669
Not just on the web or net; also in magazine. Recent issue of Time said 'Eat Fat is good for you'. Just live a happy life, people die regardless of whichever way they pick.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:01:12 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Don't even get me started on Dr Oz and his mallardy cures...

thar
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:28:58 AM

Neurons: 97,804
Alexander Lo wrote:
Not just on the web or net; also in magazine. Recent issue of Time said 'Eat Fat is good for you'. Just live a happy life, people die regardless of whichever way they pick.

That is the problem - this fact is perfectly correct - fat is good for you, and essential for health. It is just the source and amount that is problematic.

Putting health messages in a simple 'rule', a system of good and evil, and a cure-all to fix everything, is just too simplistic.

And that is just the ones that get their facts right.

As to the kooks, profiteers, desperate or just misinformed - it is the internet. What do people expect? Brick wall Brick wall
What next? - shock new finding - water is wet!
pedro
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:52:06 AM

Neurons: 63,022

[image not available]
TheParser
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 7:55:53 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Sometimes the media does give us useful information.

I was shocked to learn that whole wheat bread, long touted as super good for you, actually contains a lot of sugar.

While some people feel that they should cut out all bread, including whole wheat, perhaps a more realistic approach for most people is to simply eat bread in moderation.

High blood sugar, we are told, is a serious matter.

It is probably true that drinking sodas is a bad idea -- except occasionally. The "real" soda has a huge amount of sugar; the "diet" kind has artificial sweeteners that may be worse than sugar.

In the old days, I am told, sweet goodies were an occasional treat. Mother would bake a pie perhaps once a week or even more seldom.

Today, sweet food is available everywhere at any time.

The media health "experts" are telling us that sugar is a poison. Maybe that is an extreme statement, but it does appear that sugar is playing havoc with people's lives.
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:42:32 AM

Neurons: 1,430,822
I love this bit from the article:

"Dr. David Calhoun, a physician and professor at the University of Alabama in Birmingham, noted that although the findings are consistent with what researchers know about digital media and other diseases, it’s encouraging that two-thirds of the videos were considered accurate."
ellana
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:38:40 PM

Neurons: 127,363
Pedro... a picture is worth a million words. Balance, moderation and exercise lead to good health... as well as favourable genetics. People are gullible and are ready to buy into false information to support their bad habits. And, there is a significant number of charlatans out there who sweet talk you down devious pathways. One needs to separate the evidence based medical facts from the deceptive popular gibberish.
GreenBanana
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:24:36 PM

Neurons: 20,818
I did not know that I thought I was a doctor. Thank you for alerting me to this crisis of identity of which I myself was not aware.

Also, too bad there isn't some kind of international medical association that could just provide the correct, scientifically-proven, non-commercial information on the internet that everyone could rely on. That way random people wouldn't have to make up information out of their own heads.