mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Dinosaurs "Tepid-Blooded"? Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,514
Dinosaurs "Tepid-Blooded"?

Researchers have long debated whether dinosaurs were warm-blooded or cold-blooded creatures, but the answer, it turns out, may be neither. A new study suggests that dinosaurs fall into some in-between category, which the authors have termed "mesothermic." They came to this conclusion after analyzing the growth rings on the bones of 381 species, of which 21 were dinosaurs, and correlating this data with metabolic rates, which are an indicator of endothermy or ectothermy. What they found was that dinosaurs, along with a handful of living species, have metabolic rates that do not fit neatly into either category but instead lie somewhere between the two. More...
Alexander Lo
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:46:26 AM

Neurons: 86,669
I think these researchers are cold-blooded, they are wasting the tax payer money for those useless research. Why don't they spend more time on the global warming problem?
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:02:10 AM

Neurons: 87,227
I like the mesothermic dinosaurs!They are in a class by themselves!If they had been endothermic or ectothermic, they would have been either "in" or "out" in relation to us human beans!As things stand, they are just right in the middle, where they belong.Neither hot nor cold, but just right. Like Baby Bear's porridge!And Goldilocks knew what she knew! Probably about dinosaurs and their blood too!
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:11:24 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Alexander Lo wrote:
I think these researchers are cold-blooded, they are wasting the tax payer money for those useless research. Why don't they spend more time on the global warming problem?

Exactly. God forbid we learn something from a multi-species extinction caused by global climatic change. The noive !
maillady
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:48:03 PM

Neurons: 3,375
Sometimes it's just fun and interesting to learn something new. Learning doesn't always have to have a reason beyond that!
Anatolian
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:09:45 PM

Neurons: 79,198
This has made me think of evolution theory in metabolical terms, i.e. evolution from ectotherms to endotherms (so far): ectoherms > mesotherms > endotherms. If this is true, then there may be transitional forms (e.g. dinosaurs) with respect to the evolution of metabolism, I guess.