mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Igor Stravinsky (1882) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Igor Stravinsky (1882)

Stravinsky was a Russian-American composer considered by many to be the greatest and most versatile composer of the 20th century. His first major success, The Firebird, brought him international renown in 1910. He followed this the next year with the great ballet score Petrushka and two years after that with his most acclaimed—and controversial—work, the ballet The Rite of Spring, recognized as a landmark and masterpiece of modern music. Why did its premiere provoke a riot? More...
Alexander Lo
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 2:58:09 AM

Neurons: 86,669
I like both Rimsky-Korsakov and Stravinsky music. I didn't know Stravinsky was a student of Rimsky-Korsakov until I read this article. Thanks.
Momsey
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:19:07 AM

Neurons: 23,879
A very interesting man. I love his ballet music. I found his connection with Chanel and Picasso fascinating. That is something that I didn't know about.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 6:11:48 PM

Neurons: 7,576,235
"I saw in imagination a solemn pagan rite; sage elders, seated in a circle, watched a young girl dance herself to death. They were sacrificing her to propitiate the god of spring.” – Igor Stravinsky (1911)

Le Sacre du Printemps (The Rite of Spring)

“No one had ever heard music like it before; it seemed to violate all the most hallowed concepts of beauty, harmony, tone and expression. Never had an audience heard anything so brutal, savage, aggressive and apparently chaotic; it hit the public like a hurricane, like some uncontrollable primeval force." – Roman Vlad after witnessing the premier of The Rite of Spring"

The premier of The Rite of Spring was a volatile event. At the premiere, the worlds of the old traditionalists clashed with the new “avant-garde." Quiet protest to the music began even in the prelude music, and as soon as the dancers appeared performing Vaslav Nijinsky’s intensely provocative choreography, chaos ensued. Traditionalists protested the intensely dissonant music and what they thought were vulgar gestures of the dancers. Meanwhile, supporters of the music yelled for silence. “Shut up you Berkley Square bitches!” yelled Stravinsky’s friend and composer Florent Schmitt. As the riot continued, Stravinsky left the performance and went backstage, where he found Nijinsky (the choreographer) shouting numbers to his dancers because the dancers could no longer hear the orchestra over the riot. The event was truly a clash between the old and the new. Surprisingly, the following performances of the ballet were well received, and a year later Stravinsky was carried triumphantly through the streets of Paris after a performance.

http://www.shepherd.edu/englweb/362/euan.htm