mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
All in a Days work... so to speak. Options
ithink140
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:01:30 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Expressions or clichés I hate. The sayer often crows as if they are the first to coin the phrase. I think it is often a sign of a poor grip on language.
Here are a few:

‘Unbelievable…’ Well then don’t believe it.
‘That’s what it’s all about’ No it is not…it is more complex.
‘They need to wake up and smell the coffee’ Duh
‘At the end of the day’ Ugh
As horny as a three balled tomcat’ So delicate… not!

Clichés used sparingly can be effective but as a rule they lower the standard of speech. In the long term they are off the wall in my opinion. But having said that, all things considered, at the end of the day it is a matter of personal choice …you pays your money and takes your choice… so to speak. The acid test of good speech is fluency without the need to rely on old chestnuts of speech phrases. It seems to be a matter of class or upbringing and as often the acorn never falls far from the tree. The shame is that clichés seem to appear good, but one should remember that all that glitters is not gold, and all that jazz. I seldom make use of clichés and would give an arm and a leg to never set eyes on one again but them we live in an age of anything goes… so to speak. Some dumb idiot once said that a cliché a day keeps the teacher at bay… I mean… as if! As far as I am concerned clichés are as welcome as a skunk at a lawn party, but then again everyone has their cross to bear. Clichés are like death by a thousand cuts… not to put too fine a point on it and as far as I am concerned if you have heard one you have heard them all. Someone once asked if I hated clichés, my reply was does the Pope wear a funny hat. In response he pulled a face like the dogs bollocks.

What cliché do you hate the most?
moniquester
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:23:47 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Actually, I love clichés! And thanks for your humorous article! It gave me a little chuckle, brightening my morning. I disagree with you, ithink140. I think that clichés make the language more colorful--IF they are not overused. Your article makes a strong point in this regard. Thank you!!!
ithink140
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:31:19 AM

Neurons: 17,922
Well at the end of the day Monny, you pays your money and takes your choice...so to speak. As my old dad used to say there is more than one way of skinning a rabbit.
sarah71
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:56:51 AM

Neurons: 79,784
moniquester wrote:
Actually, I love clichés! And thanks for your humorous article! It gave me a little chuckle, brightening my morning. I disagree with you, ithink140. I think that clichés make the language more colorful--IF they are not overused. Your article makes a strong point in this regard. Thank you!!!

Well, they become clichés because they are overused - aren't they?

Jeff Siemers
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:22:08 AM

Neurons: 18,444
Never liked "It is what it is." Wow really, how insightful!