The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

B-Grade Saturday Sci-Fi from the late 50s, early 60s Options
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 8:21:36 AM

Neurons: 166,361
Anyone remember the classic b-grade (I think that was the term) sci-fi movies from this period?
I wonder if anyone has done a video collection of them, like "The Crawling Eye", or any of the radioactive mutant insects that threatened the world due to nuclear testing. Anyone else remember watching these on Saturday afternoons, and what you thought of them?
rluna
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:06:09 AM

Neurons: 570
The Blob! Dancing
SteveB
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 9:19:46 AM

The blob was great at the time! =d>
Betsy D.
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:00:46 AM

Neurons: 558
Let's don't forget Night of the Living Dead and all the Vincent Price creepy movies!
fred
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:08:57 AM

Neurons: 4,457
traveler
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 10:21:38 AM

Neurons: 3
The term was B movie which were the “Bottom” half of a double feature. These were low budget films that theaters could obtain at a flat fee rather then a percentage of the box. As a child of the 50’s I spent many Saturday afternoons at the movies (admission 25 cents) where they would show 2 “B” movies, a ton of cartoons and numerous trailers. In the 50’s the B movies were mostly Sci-Fi, horror, westerns and war movies. Some of these movies were good, like the movie “Them” and some were bad like “I was a teenage Frankenstein”. If you look at the credits you see names of directors and actors who would later become famous, but got their start in these movies.
fred
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 11:18:06 AM

Neurons: 4,457
traveler wrote:
The term was B movie which were the “Bottom” half of a double feature. These were low budget films that theaters could obtain at a flat fee rather then a percentage of the box. As a child of the 50’s I spent many Saturday afternoons at the movies (admission 25 cents) where they would show 2 “B” movies, a ton of cartoons and numerous trailers. In the 50’s the B movies were mostly Sci-Fi, horror, westerns and war movies. Some of these movies were good, like the movie “Them” and some were bad like “I was a teenage Frankenstein”. If you look at the credits you see names of directors and actors who would later become famous, but got their start in these movies.

Luftmarque
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 11:51:19 AM

Neurons: 39,962
I watched them every Saturday night at a friend's house while my parents played cards with his parents. Got to stay up late too! I vividly remember Creature From The Black Lagoon and various scenes of giant grasshoppers and other mutants destroying buildings. I never missed a chance to see The Day The Earth Stood Still when it was on TV (although that movie was definitely an A not a B).
Drew
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 1:17:28 PM

Neurons: 4,487
rluna wrote:
The Blob! Dancing

The Blob is still somewhat of a big deal In Phoenixville, PA, where much of the film was shot. The town holds an annual "Blobfest" where they celebrate the movie and reenact scenes in their original locations. I've never been, but I would like to go one year.
kaliedel
Posted: Friday, April 10, 2009 2:30:25 PM

Neurons: 1,029
I recall a film entitled "X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes." It was classic B-Movie schlock in that it was campy and yet wholly entertaining. I heard that they're doing a remake, which surprised me, because I thought I was one of the dozen or so people who has ever seen it.
Ian Pean
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:10:26 PM

Neurons: 33
Me and my father love all forms of B-movies but the problem is my mom hates them to the point of leaving the room till the movie is over.
Luftmarque
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:17:26 PM

kaliedel wrote:
I recall a film entitled "X: The Man With X-Ray Eyes." It was classic B-Movie schlock in that it was campy and yet wholly entertaining. I heard that they're doing a remake, which surprised me, because I thought I was one of the dozen or so people who has ever seen it.

Is that the one where he ends up going crazy because he sees too far into the horrors of the universe? I liked that one a lot.

Ian Pean wrote:
Me and my father love all forms of B-movies but the problem is my mom hates them to the point of leaving the room till the movie is over.

You don't have to do everything as a complete family unit!
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:24:19 PM

Luftmarque wrote:
kaliedel wrote:

Is that the one where he ends up going crazy because he sees too far into the horrors of the universe? I liked that one a lot.

I'd hate to give away the ending, but yes - his vision gets stronger and stronger, until eventually he sees light years beyond earth and into the center of the universe. Here's the final lines (courtesy of IMDB):

Preacher: Are you a sinner? Do you wish to be saved?
Dr. James Xavier: Saved? No. I've come to tell you what I see. There are great darknesses. Farther than time itself. And beyond the darkness... a light that glows, changes... and in the center of the universe... the eye that sees us all.
[Looks up at the sky]
Dr. James Xavier: No!
Preacher: You see sin and the devil! But the lord has told us what to do about it. Said Matthew in Chapter Five, "If thine eye offends thee... pluck it out!"
Luftmarque
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:33:31 PM

kaliedel wrote:
Luftmarque wrote:
kaliedel wrote:

I'd hate to give away the ending, but yes - his vision gets stronger and stronger, until eventually he sees light years beyond earth and into the center of the universe.

Oh yeah, that's the one all right! I'll keep an "eye" out for the remake. The story is very H.P. Lovecraft-ian, I wonder if that's where it came from?
kaliedel
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:47:25 PM

Luftmarque wrote:
Oh yeah, that's the one all right! I'll keep an "eye" out for the remake. The story is very H.P. Lovecraft-ian, I wonder if that's where it came from?

Yeah, I heard they were making a remake slated for 2012. I have to say, for a film that's supposed to be Saturday shlockfest fare, it had a brilliant idea behind it.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 10:56:04 PM

Neurons: 9,763
Easy, I think it was called "Creature From The Black Lagoon"....they made several of these: a dude in a rubber gill-man suit. Priceless!
TL Hobs
Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:39:56 AM

Neurons: 6,101
I have The Lobsterman From Mars from Netflix right now. It is an early Tony Curtis B movie from the 1950s. I love the plot, lack of direction, acting, script and budget, yet it still makes me laugh.

Last week, I watched The Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death starring Bill Maher & Shannon Tweed. It is about as bad as it gets.
Kat
Posted: Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:04:25 AM

Neurons: 3,389
When I was a kid in NY, there was a show on every Saturday night
called,"Chiller Theatre". A monster movie to watch right before bedtime.
There was, "The Creature From The Black Lagoon", "Attack of The Giant Crabs",
Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman",(rather sensual for the time period),
The Blob" of course, "It Came From Beneath the Sea", The Tingler",
and one of my favorites, "The Crawling Hand".
It's amazing my brother and I got any sleep at all on those nights.