The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Judy Garland (1922) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
Judy Garland (1922)

Born Frances Gumm, Garland was an American film actress considered by many to be one of the greatest singing stars of Hollywood's golden age of musical film. She began her career singing in her parents' theater at an early age and later toured in vaudeville. In 1939, she played Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, and went on to star in numerous other movies and musicals. Her untimely death and personal tragedies have come to represent the pitfalls of stardom. Who is her famous daughter? More...
LucOneOff
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:03:54 AM

Neurons: 696,826
Her famous daughter is Liza Minnelli.
Momsey
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:04:02 AM

Neurons: 23,879
One of the most famous child stars with the all too familiar end of many of them.
ChristineC
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:57:41 AM

Neurons: 1,492
LucOneOff wrote:
Her famous daughter is Liza Minnelli.

stop answer the questions
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 12:41:41 PM

Neurons: 6,386,108
Judy and The Wizard of Oz

For nearly forty years this story has given faithful service to the Young in Heart; and Time has been powerless to put its kindly philosophy out of fashion. To those of you who have been faithful to it in return...and to the Young in Heart...we dedicate this picture.

In an expressionistic, sepia-toned (beige) opening, young adopted orphan Dorothy Gale (16 year old star Judy Garland, whose real name was Frances Gumm) hurries down a flat, dusty Kansas country road with fences on either side, accompanied by her small black terrier dog Toto. [Teenaged Judy Garland was far too old for the part of young 9 year-old Dorothy in Baum's storybook - so her breasts had to be bound to flatten them and make her appear younger. She wears a blue-and-white gingham pinafore, and sports pigtails.].....
Michael E. Porter
Posted: Tuesday, June 10, 2014 4:03:04 PM

Neurons: 14,936
Happy Birthday Judy Garland June 10, 1922 to June 22nd, 1969

In 1969 I was 14 years old, or would have been 14 come November. I remember reading about Judy Garland dying in New York, and about the “Gay Riots in New York.” I was reading the Kansas City Times, and I remembering thinking, “I’m not the only one!”

There was something comforting about knowing you are not alone. And from that point on I read everything I could on the “Gay Liberation”

Happy Birthday, Judy!

Below was taken directly from www.thefreedictionary.com

Gay icon

Garland always had a large base of fans in the gay community and has become a gay icon. Reasons often given for her standing, especially among gay men, are admiration of her ability as a performer, the way her personal struggles mirrored those of gay men in America during the height of her fame and her value as a camp figure. When asked in the 1960s by a reporter about how she felt about having a large gay following, she famously said, "I couldn't care less. I sing to people”

Some have also suggested a connection between the date of Garland's death and funeral on June 27, 1969 and the Stonewall riots, the flashpoint of the modern Gay Liberation movement, which started in the early hours of June 28. In a 2009 interview gay historian David Carter stated that this connection is untrue, and based on a mocking reference to the riot by an anti-gay writer in the Village Voice the next day. However the same historical documentary states that there were several patrons at the Stonewall bar that night, Garland fans who, according to bar patron Sylvia Rivera had come from the Garland funeral earlier in the day to drink and mourn. Rivera said that indeed there was a feeling in the air that something would happen that night: "I guess Judy Garland’s death just really helped us really hit the fan."
Archer5007
Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:10:52 AM

Neurons: 8,824
Such a sad death for someone with so much talent. I grew up in the 1960's watching her in movies and The Wizard of Oz. When I hear her sing Over the Rainbow, it still gives me goosebumps. What a shame that she and so many other talented actors have died way before their time.