mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Yo-Yo Ma Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
Yo-Yo Ma

World-famous American cellist Yo-Yo Ma was born in France to Chinese parents in 1955. A musical prodigy, he gave a public recital in Paris at age six and his first performance at Carnegie Hall at age nine. He later attended the prestigious Julliard School of Music and ascended rapidly to the highest rank of international soloists, winning the Avery Fisher Prize in 1978. What became of a centuries-old cello valued at $2.5 million that Ma accidentally left in a New York City taxi in 1999? More...
Al Rizwaan
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 1:42:16 AM

Neurons: 427,298
It was later recovered undamaged.
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 9:57:53 AM

Neurons: 7,559,187
THE IMPORTANCE OF KEEPING RECEIPTS

Ma tossed his famed instrument PETUNIA!!
- a 266-year-old Italian masterpiece cello - into the trunk of a yellow cab and asked the cabbie to take him to the Peninsula Hotel. "There was a bit of traffic, and I was one block away from the hotel," Ma subsequently recalled. "I said, 'I'm about to be late. I'll just run off.
' I paid the guy. Forty-five seconds later I realized what happened.
" By then the cab was long gone. "Do you know how stupid I felt?
" Ma moaned. BUILT BY a famed Venetian luthier in 1733, Yo-Yo Ma's beloved cello - he called it Petunia - was worth a fortune, "like a house, a very big house," he said. But more important: "It's my voice.
" Crestfallen, he sheepishly confessed his blunder to his wife, who notified Peninsula security. "Don't worry, ma'am," she was told. "We'll have it back in five hours.
" Lt. Keith Green of Midtown North caught the case. "I didn't know the value of the instrument," the policeman said later. "But from his voice, I could tell it was very important to him.
" Police used the fare receipt to trace the cab back to Yellow Management Corp. "Yo-Yo Ma, that's his name?
" said perplexed dispatcher John Aronas when cops and Taxi and Limousine agents decended on the Queens depot. "Never heard of him.
" The cops waited for cabbie Disashi Lukumwena, whose medallion number appeared on the receipt. "Did someone leave a cello in your cab?
" cops asked. "Dunno," Lukumwena said. Cops popped the trunk, and there Petunia was, nestled in her blue Fiberglas case, next to the spare tire. They had the instrument back to Ma by 5:15 p.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/importance-keeping-receipts-tale-lost-cellos-article-1.609169#ixzz33xfjbu2K
ellana
Posted: Saturday, June 7, 2014 12:12:50 PM

Neurons: 127,363
I have had the great pleasure of seeing this fine cellist a few times. In Montreal, in the preliminary piece before his solo, he sat with the other cellists playing along with them, as one of them. I also saw him at the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles with the Silk Road Ensemble where he introduced the other musicians and ended by saying: "I'll be your cellist this evening". He has a way of being a true partner on stage, in music. Such a pleasure to see and hear him play.
ghiwar
Posted: Sunday, June 8, 2014 12:04:22 AM

Neurons: 15
I dont know im newbie here