mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Cursive Options
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:24:32 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Has cursive become redundant?
A young man in our accounting section,was looking puzzled at my hand writing. I asked him if I was having a 'bad hand day'?, he said "No I just can't read old fashioned writing".
When I was in Primary School, hand writing was a subject, I know that was so long ago that knuckles were barely off the ground, but is printing the main hand writing now?
and how do you tell signatures apart?
TYSON
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:24:04 PM

Neurons: 3,793
I print. I have done for a long time. Not sure when it happened, I dont even think about it. But I feel it's much neater and easier to read.
AnthA1G
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:30:12 AM

Neurons: 3,432
I also print. I started to do it when I came to US. I started doing it because my teachers told me to, they said it's "better" and more understandable; since then I only print.
CoreyForeside
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:46:26 AM

Neurons: 15
I never learned how to write in cursive. I guess I just never caught on. I find it difficult to read cursive writing. For example, my mom, she ONLY writes in cursive. Even her print looks like cursive. I don't like how the letters connect. It looks kinda sloppy, to me.Think

Quote:
"It is quite certain that in seeing the people who treat us so well despite their own misfortune, we are more obliged than ever to work hard for their happiness."
Marie Antoinette

[image not available]

[image not available]

Serge
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:35:55 AM

Neurons: 9
A warehouse manager whose helpers can hardly read English, should PRINT.
A love letter or a poem are better be in cursive.
To those who never learned how: don't be proud of your lack of skills.Boo hoo!
nooblet
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:15:21 AM

Neurons: 4,778
Cursive is used almost explicitly for signatures nowadays, it seems. I mostly print when I have to write stuff down, mainly because it's easier to write in print for taking notes and doing shorthand.

Cursive takes me longer to write and is harder to read, especially when I'm trying to write fast.
MarySM
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:34:55 AM

Neurons: 6,084
Penmanship skills are declining because of the use of email, text messaging, and word processing. I was taught cursive writing but now I have to slow down and make a concerted effort just to sign my name. Recently I read a family land title deed from August 12, 1870 and, although the cursive was beautiful, I found myself having to go over some of the words several times before I could comprehend what they were.

Raparee
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:52:43 AM

Neurons: 18,102
I mostly write in cursive, though I tend to have a somewhat odd blend of cursive script and print. I find the flow of cursive to make it faster for notes and general writing, though certain letters I always found to be more awkward in cursive, so I wind up printing them. That said, I hated taking penmanship when I was in sixth grade. When I was learning how to write, sure, that was fine, but we had several years without it and then again in sixth grade, when we were all already learning out distinctive and personal ways of writing? Feh!

And seriously? Can we fix the scroll in this page? Pictures can be edited to fit a certain parameter. :(
Drew
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:25:05 PM

Neurons: 4,487
Ever since I was taught cursive as a youngster, I've avoided it like the Plague. Penmanship is not one of my strong suits, so the prospect of an entire school subject centered on the precision with which you can draw fancy letters was not exactly my cup of tea. I never even consider writing in cursive, except when I sign my name, and the more I think about it, cursive does seem very old-fashioned today, especially since the digital revolution took hold. Good riddance.Applause
Franky44
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:18:18 PM

Neurons: 26
I have not lost my penmanship skills. In the 1950's and 60's, penmanship was
a required subject in both primary, and elementary education. Today, my Grand-
parents would look down their nose at my sloppy handwriting, while my Grand-
children would marvel at it's elegance. I am far from being a calligrapher.

Good penmanship requires practice, patience, persistence, and polish.

While some people cheer the digital age, and the passing of handwriting, I would
hasten to point out that the digital age lives, only as long as there is
electricity to give it life.
guitar53
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 2:44:54 PM

Neurons: 290
I started printing in College, I took notes in 'script' and transposed to print, a clean and organized page was easier to review instead of my 'scrawl'. 30years later, I've lost the skill to write in script... although I am trying to regain the skill. I can't take shorthand notes as my hearing is damaged from too many years of being in a loud band. (see signature)
Cass
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:10:35 PM

Neurons: 1,770
I read an article in our local paper about the dearth of people using cursive. I thought the author was exaggerating
but from reading these posts it seems they were not. I enjoy writing in cursive and will not give it up.
There was a lot of knuckle-rapping in my youth to make my handwriting clean and clear.

BTW, guitar53 - is your signature a quote from Monty Python?
lemonk
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:13:51 PM

Neurons: 642
At work I print because it's easier to read. When taking notes at a
meeting, I use a strange combination of printing and cursive that
probably only I can read, but then I'm the only one reading my notes.
My dad used to write lovely letters in cursive, even after his hands
were so shaky it was hard to read. I prefer reading letters in cursive,
as it's prettier. On the rare occasion I write a letter, it's in cursive.
siouxsie
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:58:40 PM

Neurons: 12
that's funny. we have cursive as part of our curriculum here for the primary levels in the Philippines and when I recently tutored two Korean children on English for their summer vacation, cursive writing was their most requested part of our session. being an otaku i know that cursive writing is also taught in Japanese schools. it's sad that "native" speakers of English no longer pay any attention to cursive writing. isn't the american constitution written in cursive? tsk tsk.
The Saurus
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:07:48 PM

Neurons: 762
In general, I print for the simple reason that the majority of the time I'm writing something, it is to be functional, and not decorative. Cursive writing is more elegant, but most of the time, I want something that's easy to read quickly. Notes, labels, technical documentation, that sort of thing. It has gotten smoother and more natural to the point that I use block letters for the majority of my writing. Being able to write cursive is seen as a skill that implies culture, but I no longer feel the need to use it outside of signatures.

At work, I click "print" for the simple reason that otherwise it's practically impossible to read the thread with the browser all stretched out for that image. Hooooooooooly crap.
nooblet
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:27:18 PM

Neurons: 4,778
I agree with The Saurus. Cursive letters tend to have very little easily definable features to them, which makes it take longer to discern what is written. While I have no problem actually reading cursive, I find it nearly impossible to skim through cursive since it's considerably harder to discern a lowercase "B" from a "D" or an "L", which all have an identical "L" loop in them, and depending on who is writing them, the extra loop of the B or D may be written sloppily which could look like it belongs to a separate letter.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:10:13 PM

Neurons: 2,132
Okay,I'll be the odd ball. I use both and shorthand{Gregg}, as well as typed or digital media.
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:13:35 PM

Neurons: 39,933
Hi Sandra, yes you have cursive, printing, shorthand, typed & digital as well as DR, who no one but the pharmacist can read.
I love the look of older generations writing, almost copperplate.
TL Hobs
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 1:28:32 AM

Neurons: 6,101
As a left handed writer, cursive was awkward in school, but I persisted and can write faster in cursive. However, while in Architecture school, we were taught to develop our own style of printing. Now, I print almost as fast as I can write cursive. This was before the days of computer aided drafting. I still print well and write legibly in cursive. I take pride in making my writing readable. I consider it an attribute of good communication. To not be able of doing so is a disability.

And, I type 75 words a minute.
risadr
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:41:49 AM

Neurons: 3,545
Cursive writing was part of the curriculum in my elementary school during third, fourth, and fifth grades. After fifth grade, we were required to complete every assignment in cursive during sixth grade. Beginning in seventh grade, we were no longer required to complete our assignments in cursive. Also in seventh grade, I took a woodworking class, where we had to draft our own plans for projects. Since taking that class, I find that I tend to use draft-printing for pretty much everything that anyone else will read, including note-taking in my classes, because I often share my notes with classmates since I take them legibly and in outline format.

When I'm not writing for anyone else, I find that I usually use a kind of print-cursive hybrid writing that I think most other people wouldn't be able to read. I use it for list-making and shorthand note-taking. I rarely use cursive anymore, outside of signatures, and even then, the cursive that I use isn't formal cursive, it's my own style.

I don't want to think that it's really true, but I think that cursive handwriting may be going the way of the dodo. : (
deebee
Posted: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:31:17 PM

Neurons: 573
My understanding is that your style of handwriting is a personal reflection of the author. It highlights many aspects of a person, including their educational background and some believe that one's style of handwriting is indicative of personality traits with many prospective employers still requesting handwritten submissions,even having these analysed (as do some police forces with regard to ongoing investigations!). I understand that in this age of the computer & the need for urgency and clarity that the keyboard is king, but it would be a sad day if we were to completely give up on one of the few skills that still underlines our individuality.
Angel-Baby
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:15:14 AM

Neurons: 243
I primarily write in cursive or a print/ cursive combo with my right hand and printing only with my left. I'm mildly dyslexic and worked very hard over the years to make my writing legible - though I still have instances where letters are upside down or backward (primarily "p" vs "b" and "3" vs cursive "E"). I use a block print on all envelopes I address and I'm almost as fast writing that way as I am with my regular handwriting.

That isn't to say I don't understand the frustration people feel when trying to read other people's handwriting. Where I work, the lab books are shared with multiple users entering data. Some days it is a toss up whether the entry was actual data or if a chicken with ink on its feet got a hold of the book.
essisdaddy
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 1:51:18 AM

Neurons: 876
It's true what they say, you know. Ignorance is bliss. I quite happily knew nothing about this 'trend' until I found this thread, and quite frankly it horrifies me to learn that those of us who use joined up writing are on the same list as the Black Rhino and the Giant Panda. Of course, in this day and age, when actually putting pen to paper is as rare as rocking-horse droppings, although it horrifies me, it doesn't really surprise me.

I have roughly forty students at the moment (I teach EFL in Helsinki) and it is my plan over the next week to give them all a short handwritten assignment for homework.

As their ages range from the early twenties to mid fifties, it will be interesting (for me at least) to see what the results are.

Watch this space.