The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,330
He may not enter anywhere at the first, unless there be some one of the household who bid him to come, though afterwards he can come as he please.

Bram Stoker (1847-1912)
Geeman
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:31:22 AM

Neurons: 125,022
I had a cousin like that.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 1:08:01 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Strange man. With such a bloodthirsty imagination, yet manners are important to him. Are Vlad the Impaler & Dracula the same person, or is one fiction?
reiki333
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 2:13:16 AM

Neurons: 74,481
I just LOVE U GEEMAN!!! I sit here & laugh my self silly...
Applause
I also have friends like that. & yes, Dracula is based on the other. I dont think that was his nickname, tho.
DHeavyOne
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 6:13:44 AM

Neurons: 378
Tovarish wrote:
Strange man. With such a bloodthirsty imagination, yet manners are important to him. Are Vlad the Impaler & Dracula the same person, or is one fiction?

Yep, G, Vlad the Impaler was the historical figure upon which the story of Dracula was supposedly written.....not as any kind of biographical anaology, but just as a great story that was brought into his mind after discovering the legend of Vlad from eastern Europe.......partcualarly enchanting is the part where Vlad was known to have drunk the blood and eaten the flesh of his defeated enemies, specifically to wit their hearts, thereby taking into himself their power in battle.

...but then again, I'm just guessing.
ardii
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 9:37:58 AM

Neurons: 447
As a literary quote, this one is empty. I think Daemon randomly picks a sentence between two periods in a book and puts it out.
Christine
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:06:49 AM

Neurons: 15,842
ardii wrote:
As a literary quote, this one is empty. I think Daemon randomly picks a sentence between two periods in a book and puts it out.

I agree.

Shame on you to Daemon
MarySM
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:13:56 AM

Neurons: 6,084
Perhaps not the best quote ever, but all of us "Dracula" fans knew instantly where it came from. Stoker had a very interesting history.

Geeman you are always entertaining.
Tony Miller
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:42:53 AM

Neurons: 219
That sounds like an IRS agent...they come as they please and drain you dry....

Barbara
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 11:54:57 AM

Neurons: 27
i agree with you MarySM..
Moreover i find that line particulary interesting..
The first two sentences follow the general rules of politeness: anyone can enter a house if he's invited, but the third is quite weird.. who is allowed to "come as he please"? it makes you think of a robber or something, but he initially seems "normal", or into society rules.. This is exactly the point:he's not what he appears, he hides certain "qualities" that everybody knows even if they haven't read the book.. S. is giving us some clue but still keeping the mystery.
Or maybe, even if we don't consider the first lines comment the right one,we can even interpret it as "he comes to you if you provoke him", and this way the meaning is even more raw,brutal, so that you get more curious to his identity..
Stoker is a great writer, it's sufficient to read through his lines to find interesting details..
Geeman
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 1:24:38 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I strive to amuse....

Tovarish wrote:

Not a lot of people know that Stoker was a theater man. In her book Bram Stoker and the Man Who was Dracula Barbara Belford makes a pretty compelling argument that Dracula was inspired by the historic Transylvanian count, but in character and demeanor he is based most upon an actor, Henry Irving, with whom Stoker was closely associated. It's hard to nail down something like that, but if you see a picture of the guy it's kind of impossible to see the connection.
susanstar1234
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:09:28 PM

Neurons: 230
yes, half the time there is half the places.
mteleza@yahoo.com
Posted: Monday, January 18, 2010 10:09:38 PM

Neurons: 3
As a visitor to someone's home, you must be invited to come in with a formal, "welcome, please come in". On the second and further visits it will be appropriate to enter the home without a formal invite.