mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Technology Options
pljames
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 5:36:15 PM

Neurons: 15,207
Why didn't business tech invent a pen driven computer instead of a typing computer? Writing was here before typing and has speaking when writing got to a point where it might take over typing on a computer? Paul
frosty rime
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 5:43:39 PM

Neurons: 13,151
pljames wrote:
Why didn't business tech invent a pen driven computer instead of a typing computer? Writing was here before typing and has speaking when writing got to a point where it might take over typing on a computer? Paul

I think a pen driven computer is harder to programme than a typing computer. It's because human hand writing styles vary and far harder to read against typing that is standardised.
frosty rime
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 6:07:19 PM

Neurons: 13,151
I guess these days there are smart tablets..that change handwriting characters to typed characters.
I used it once or twice and they were quite smart, to my surprise.

Personally, I like typing better. It's easier for me.
Ray41
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 10:16:39 PM

Neurons: 45,980
You can read my typing, but I doubt that you would readily read my hand writing.Think

My age doesn't affect the clarity of the words that I type, my writing is a different ballgame altogether.Anxious

I recently read back through some of my old diaries and even I had trouble deciphering some of the words.d'oh!
shahidsheikh
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2014 5:43:21 AM

Neurons: 62,777
I totally agreed with lights
Wobbles
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2014 7:19:34 PM

Neurons: 1,369
When I first used computers, fifty years ago, we interacted with the computer through a teletype machine (teletypes had already digitized key presses) and through a series of toggle switches located on the front panel of the computer. These were research computers with maybe 8 kilobytes of memory and clock speeds measured in kilohertz, not Gigahertz . Everything was precious. Nobody would have ever wasted resources trying to digitize writing or develop code to translate script into computer instructions.

However, ten years later, when we had somewhat larger computers, we were already developing touch screens for interacting with the commuter. It was a surprisingly easy thing to do.

Also, we were using our computers to communicate via the telephone system to transfer data and notes to other labs. It was a sort of personal Internet, again very easy to do. Setting up a World Wide Web is much more difficult. Hats off to CERN personnel for doing this.

Joe
progpen
Posted: Monday, June 2, 2014 3:40:25 PM

Neurons: 55,284
The palm pilots were one of the first popular computers to do some sort of handwriting recognition, but you had to learn a totally new way to write.
Teknovanza
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:32:26 AM

Neurons: 382
Maybe for a few years, it will come true
early_apex
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:16:38 PM

Neurons: 12,855
Car makers have developed input screens that read finger writing. The idea is that you can quickly gesture with one finger to input climate control settings, sound system functions, or navigation inquiries. From one article about the new Mercedes S Class:

The S65’s touchpad measures 2.6 inches high by 1.8 inches wide, and it’s located in the center console, in front of the armrest. The touchpad links to a large screen mounted on the dash. It lets you draw with your finger to write words for navigation, like “Main Street,” as you drive, all without having to look down. You can also write numbers and symbols. Unlike the touchpad in several Audi models, it supports gestures like two-finger pinch.

The idea is to communicate with the car's computer without taking your eyes off the road.

It might help left-handed people if they bought a UK-spec car for this function.