mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives. Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,569
Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:34:53 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:
Men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives.

If one loves someone, truly loves someone, one will be the same after marriage as before.
Sarmad Ehsan
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:01:38 AM

Neurons: 1,489
loving someone and living with some one are two different aspects of life. if the former comes after the latter , life becomes worthy of living or you will wish inferno!
Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:50:41 AM

Neurons: 316,010
Daemon wrote:

The question is as old as life itself: Where did the love go and why? In narrow sense, love only meant to cement two different entities into one, all else beyond its scope.
moniquester
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:06:22 AM

Neurons: 87,227
Trivium Discipullus wrote:

"If one loves someone, truly loves someone, one will be the same after marriage as before."

I completely agree! Real love does not change. Courtship should not be about "chasing the doe" and after she is caught, you let your "true manlihood" show! (The same holds for women, too!) If it is really love, then the relationship will not become sour after the honeymoon, but will only grow more intimate and more special.

I have never been a lover of Shakespeare. No matter how many of his plays and poems I have studied throughout my life, I have never grown an appreciation for nor an enjoyment for his works.
Kathy Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:38:06 AM

Neurons: 5,974
It will be hard finding true love then! Love adapts and changes. living together presents challenges for a relationship that both have to overcome in some way. The original person and original love are both still there, but with more things to deal with on top and many couples have a hard time seeing through it all. They want the love to stay the same but it has grown and changed as it should.
Kathy Hall
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:39:24 AM

Neurons: 5,974
what does Shakespeare mean my april and decemeber and may??? what types of adjectives are those for describing people? is 'decemeber' a good thing or a bad thing? is 'the sky changes' a good change or bad???
Sarmad Ehsan
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:45:27 AM

Love is a relative notion that evolves over the years incorporating several indicators. People confuse this very term with attraction, crush, lust, sex, etcetera etcetera.
When a farmer plough a fields, he spends his time, money , energy and deliberation to let the crop grow. he never rushes to chop off the crop when it is too small , he does chop off the weeds to make his crop more fertile and healthy.

In a relationship , if love is taken as a crop , where bother partners are farmers cultivating the seeds of respect, trust and individuality, and curbing the weeds of hatred, suspicion, distrust and disrespect. Only in this case, the relative love will become an absolute one.

But again, it requires hard work.

SE
Sarmad Ehsan
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 3:50:28 AM

Kathy Hall wrote:
what does Shakespeare mean my april and decemeber and may??? what types of adjectives are those for describing people? is 'decemeber' a good thing or a bad thing? is 'the sky changes' a good change or bad???

That's called Analogies. By referring to months , it shows the mode/mood of individual month. Like In Pakistan , April and May are Summer season when sun scorching heat helps the crops to grow.( with me the author refers to the emotions) While in the midst of December, that's the winter season when things are cold ( mind is more active than emotions).

Moods swing is referred by the term "sky changes"

SE
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 4:11:03 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Daemon wrote:

Probably rhymed when he first wrote it.
zellij
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 6:39:00 AM

Neurons: 47,178
" Avec le temps tout s'en va." Brel.
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:27:25 AM

Neurons: 6,499,429
Quote extracted from:
AS YOU LIKE IT
William Shakespeare
Act 4, scene 1 page 7

For better understanding, read the context of the quote in origin an modern text.

ORIGINAL TEXT
ROSALIND
Now tell me how long you would have her after you have possessed her.

ORLANDO
Forever and a day.

ROSALIND
"Say “a day” without the “ever.” No, no, Orlando, men are April when they woo, December when they wed. Maids are May when they are maids, but the sky changes when they are wives. I will be more jealous of thee than a Barbary cock- pigeon over his hen, more clamorous than a parrot against rain, more newfangled than an ape, more giddy in my desires than a monkey. I will weep for nothing, like Diana in the fountain, and I will do that when you are disposed to be merry. I will laugh like a hyena, and that when thou art inclined to sleep."

MODERN TEXT

ROSALIND
Now tell me how long you intend to keep her.

ORLANDO
Forever and a day.

ROSALIND
You might as well just say for “a day,” and forget the “ever” part. No, Orlando, men are like April when they’re wooing a girl—young, and passionate—but like December once they’re married and their passions have cooled.
Women are as sweet and temperate as springtime when they’re single, but the climate changes once they’re married. I’ll be more jealous of you than a wild rooster over his hen; more noisy than a parrot chattering about the rain; more fond of new things than an ape; more giddy about getting what I want than a monkey. I’ll cry at nothing, and I’ll always do it when you’re in a good mood. And when you want to go to sleep, I’ll be up laughing like a hyena.

http://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/asyoulikeit/summary.html
jcbarros
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:39:59 AM

Neurons: 9,127
Changing weather conditions.(But there are loves for all seasons);)
Uncle Billy
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:25:25 AM

Neurons: 1,508
It's lust in Shakespeare's April and the lack of love in his December, which seems to be the correct time interval, at least in my experience. Unfortunately those are truly separate aspects of humanity that our culture (at least the one I grew up in and failed to subscribe to) has tied together in an effort to simplify the progress of complicated society by creating the union called "marriage". Lust comes on unilaterally from visceral instincts, love from a much gentler, more complex and intricate interface, so if a union that requires both to be successful lacks the higher, more comprehensive, more bonding and most of all more contributing aspect, then the aims of marriage are unmet: The products of lust expressed need the nurture of love to become whole adults, their wholeness making them at least not harmful members of the society, which is obviously a necessity. But a marriage based on the moral blindness of lust alone is at its outset incomplete and doomed to unhappy, dissatisfying times, even failure, and the corruption of the products of the lust that sired the marriage. So Shakespeare's observation ought to be seen as a warning and an instruction: Live together as fully as marriage allows but without its imprimatur until the heat cools, then see what's left. If it and all the other parts of living closely together have forged a love connection, then let issue issue. If nothing bonding remains, move on, having left no monuments to seeds sown that had to grow with no nurture from the loving bond of its creators.
dkaz
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:50:03 AM

Neurons: 7

To me it means men are young when they begin sowing their oats (woo). April is the beginning of Spring, the beginning of rebirth. December being the last month of the year, is when a man is beginning to enter the prime of his life. It's time for him to wed and father children.

Maids are May, as they are fresh and pure. Maia (meaning "the great one") is the Italic goddess of spring. And as every man and woman knows, our skies do change when we become wives. Sorry 'bout that fellas, but it is what it is. Deal with it, understand it and love us no matter what the skies look like. Dancing
CheVegas ☁️ ✈ ☁️
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:23:12 AM

Neurons: 350,540
A man marries a woman hoping she will never change.
A woman marries a man believing she can change him.

Vive la différence! Let the games begin!
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:15:57 PM

Neurons: 350,106
Chevegas wrote:
A man marries a woman hoping she will never change.
A woman marries a man believing she can change him.

Vive la différence! Let the games begin!

This is often true. I was at a party and the woman part of a couple we know was commenting about some features of her man that annoyed her and then commented, "but I can change him." I bit my tongue... no winning for losing here.

My simple observation, that I think applies more often than not, is “Men tend to get married because they love the girlfriend “thing” while women tend to get married because they dislike the girlfriend “thing.”
Articulate Dreamer
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:53:24 PM

Neurons: 96,430
Thank you monamagda for the context.

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 5:35:03 PM

Neurons: 6,499,429
Articulate Dreamer wrote:
Thank you monamagda for the context.

capitán
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:57:47 PM

Neurons: 28,396
Uncle Billy wrote:
It's lust in Shakespeare's April and the lack of love in his December, which seems to be the correct time interval, at least in my experience. Unfortunately those are truly separate aspects of humanity that our culture (at least the one I grew up in and failed to subscribe to) has tied together in an effort to simplify the progress of complicated society by creating the union called "marriage". Lust comes on unilaterally from visceral instincts, love from a much gentler, more complex and intricate interface, so if a union that requires both to be successful lacks the higher, more comprehensive, more bonding and most of all more contributing aspect, then the aims of marriage are unmet: The products of lust expressed need the nurture of love to become whole adults, their wholeness making them at least not harmful members of the society, which is obviously a necessity. But a marriage based on the moral blindness of lust alone is at its outset incomplete and doomed to unhappy, dissatisfying times, even failure, and the corruption of the products of the lust that sired the marriage. So Shakespeare's observation ought to be seen as a warning and an instruction: Live together as fully as marriage allows but without its imprimatur until the heat cools, then see what's left. If it and all the other parts of living closely together have forged a love connection, then let issue issue. If nothing bonding remains, move on, having left no monuments to seeds sown that had to grow with no nurture from the loving bond of its creators.

---- ---- ----
Pretty nice picture
and cool name,
Mr. Uncle Billy, Sir.
Welcome to TFD Forum.
Miriam...
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 9:43:21 PM

Neurons: 12,634
I very much liked some of the other forum member's posts. I thought they had some very good insights.

I would like to add, however, that it has been my experience, that often in the beginning of a new relationship, the woman's 'purpose' is to please or accommodate her boyfriend. But as time goes on, the woman begins to express needs, desires and expectations of her own, which she fully expects her boyfriend, lover, husband to fulfill, as she is the other half of the equation--which is always a big surprise and never seems to be much of a problem while the man is being 'given to'. It is only when--suddenly--she turns into a real and separate person...and this is usually the point at which the little darling princess turns into the "selfish bitch".

I think it is good to reach this point before one marries, when both people become real to each other, and truly realize and understand each others needs and who they really are. It always helps, when both people are happy, not just one.

I do think relationships can last and become richer and fuller with the passing of time. And I dothink , as some of the other members have said, when two people truly love each other, they do not change into or toward each other in a bad way, but actually fine-tune their responsiveness and commitment to the other--fancy, romantic words, and trying to keep the beloved entertained by trying to pull a bunny out of one's hat each each day, is not what love is.
Verbatim
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 10:29:52 PM

Neurons: 248,292
Daemon wrote:

Each simile employed in the quoted text has the unique quality of reflecting how little has really changed since the 16th Century as far as perception of love
and marriage between men and women is concerned, whether a preconceived notion or elementary truth.

Interesting that Shakespeare chose the metaphor "the sky changes" for the maids once they are wives.
Perhaps the secret is in one of these facts, though not certain to be hard facts Not talking :

William Shakespeare Facts: 3
Shakespeare married his wife Anne Hathaway when he was 18. She was 26 and she was pregnant when they married. Their first child was born six months after the wedding.

William Shakespeare Facts: 4
Shakespeare and Anne Hathaway had three children together – a son, Hamnet, who died in 1596, and two daughters, Susanna and Judith. His only granddaughter Elizabeth – daughter of Susanna – died childless in 1670. Shakespeare therefore has no descendants. Read more about Shakespeare’s family.

William Shakespeare Facts: 19
Shakespeare lived a double life. By the seventeenth century he had become a famous playwright in London but in his hometown of Stratford, where his wife and children were, and which he visited frequently, he was a well known and highly respected businessman and property owner.

Courtesy of : http://www.nosweatshakespeare.com/resources/shakespeare-facts/

Cpprasad
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:44:08 PM

Neurons: 8,476
cant understand
Desiree
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 11:55:28 PM

Neurons: 207,221
One of the most beautiful Shakespeare's sonnets is "True Love",perhaps, it expresses what he thought about love.

True Love (sonnet CXVI)

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O,no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth´s unknown,although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool,though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hour or weeks,
But bears it out e'en to the edge of doom.
If this be error an upon me proved,
I never writ,nor no man ever loved.

excaelis
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 1:04:35 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I like what Miriam said. I've been a wedding bartender for years watching people throw themselves recklessly under the wheels of happiness. A thing I've noticed is that too many are all about getting married. Relatively few, frankly, seem to have thought about being married.
It is a great mistake to subsume your life to another's. Accomodation is one thing, surrender another.