The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Turkey Mine Tragedy Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 90,096
Turkey Mine Tragedy

An explosion and fire in a coal mine in Soma, Turkey, on Tuesday claimed the lives of at least 245 miners and possibly more than a hundred more who remain unaccounted for. Though oxygen was pumped into the mine in an effort to keep those trapped alive during the rescue effort, many of the dead recovered thus far succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning, and hope is rapidly fading for those still underground. Because the fire took place during shift change, the precise number of miners inside at the time of the incident has been uncertain but is estimated at 787. The mine's operator reports that 450 have so far been rescued. This is one of the worst mining tragedies in the country's history. More...
IMcRout
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:13:35 AM

Neurons: 563,379
ATTENTION. THIS LINK TO REUTERS HAS MADE MY BROWSER (FIREFOX) CRASH THREE TIMES!!!
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 5:57:38 PM

Neurons: 6,047,708
TURKEY MINE ACCIDENT: THE PRICE OF COAL

The 2010 Chilean copper mine disaster’s happy ending, with 33 trapped miners eventually escaping, glossed over the cruel conditions that led to the disaster in the first place. Firstly, mining is terrible for the environment — in the direct damage it causes to the area being mined, and also with the pollution caused by the products being burned. Secondly, it is terrifyingly dangerous for the miners themselves. Since 1970, 30,000 people have been killed in mining accidents, compared to just 1,500 in the natural gas industry.

Such mining accidents unfortunately are not unusual in Turkey. The General Mine Workers Union reports that in 25,655 accidents between 2000 and 2009, 63 miners lost their lives. One could argue this is solely a problem with Turkey’s health and safety provision, but this is overlooking the forces that drive the industry. 40% of Europe’s energy comes from coal. The industry is still growing, and with it annual carbon dioxide emissions.

http://www.greenfudge.org/2014/05/14/turkey-mine-accident-price-coal/