The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Florence Nightingale (1820) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
Florence Nightingale (1820)

Though Nightingale is considered the founder of modern nursing, she had limited formal nursing training. She became superintendent of a small London hospital in 1853. The next year, she organized a unit of 38 female nurses for service in the Crimean War, and her efforts made her legendary. With the testimonial fund collected for her war services, she established the Nightingale School and Home for training nurses at St. Thomas's Hospital in London. Why was she called "The Lady with the Lamp"? More...
TheParser
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 8:00:22 AM

Neurons: 22,062
Happy Birthday, my dear Miss Nightingale.

You are surely one of the finest human beings to have ever been born. (There are so many humans who should never have been born!)

Many people wish that all nurses today lived up to your high standards of care for the sick.

Some "nurses" today do not deserve that revered title.

Here in Los Angeles, they erected a statue of you in a park. It was done in 1937 (the year of my birth).

I have just read that some ____ (I do not trust myself to insert a word) have been vandalizing it. Those ____ are, of course, too stupid to even know who you were.

As the Red Cross once said, your "heroic efforts on behalf of suffering humanity will be recognized and admired by all ages as long as the world shall last."
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 9:51:26 AM

Neurons: 170,308
She was dubbed 'the lady with the lamp' because she performed her rounds at night
monamagda
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 4:23:36 PM

Neurons: 6,386,108
During the Crimean war, Florence Nightingale gained the nickname "The Lady with the Lamp", deriving from a phrase in a report in The Times:

She is a ‘ministering angel’ without any exaggeration in these hospitals, and as her slender form glides quietly along each corridor, every poor fellow's face softens with gratitude at the sight of her. When all the medical officers have retired for the night and silence and darkness have settled down upon those miles of prostrate sick, she may be observed alone, with a little lamp in her hand, making her solitary rounds.

"Nightingale receiving the Wounded at Scutari", a portrait by Jerry Barrett The phrase was further popularized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's 1857 poem "Santa Filomena":

"Lo! in that house of misery
A lady with a lamp I see
Pass through the glimmering gloom,
And flit from room to room."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale
Henry Martinez
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 10:18:46 PM

Neurons: 1,811
One of the most beautiful of beautiful women. If I had lived during her time I would have pursued her relentlessly. It devastates me to this day her failure to acknowledge the existence of unseeable bacteria. It is easy to imagine the heartbreak this must have caused her when the evidence became irrefutable. Oh God, if we could, all of us of noble heart, taste the wonder of perfection. I would be devastated to learn that my convictions caused innocents suffering and death. It would give a whole new meaning to depression. But, she learned and came back to spread the word against prevailing misconceptions. I haven't the words to praise her enough.
Shashank Kumar Singh
Posted: Monday, May 12, 2014 10:56:43 PM

Neurons: 7,080
Daemon wrote:
Florence Nightingale (1820)

Though Nightingale is considered the founder of modern nursing, she had limited formal nursing training. She became superintendent of a small London hospital in 1853. The next year, she organized a unit of 38 female nurses for service in the Crimean War, and her efforts made her legendary. With the testimonial fund collected for her war services, she established the Nightingale School and Home for training nurses at St. Thomas's Hospital in London. Why was she called "The Lady with the Lamp"? More...
Think