mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
From "The Great Expectations" Options
Tomahawk71
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:47:54 AM

Neurons: 123,003
The bold sentence here is really hard to understand for me. What does Dickens say here?
What shall Estella do with her hands or prescence?

"Out of my thoughts! You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here, the rough common boy whose poor heart you wounded even then. You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since -- on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets. You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with. The stones of which the strongest London buildings are made, are not more real, or more impossible to be displaced by your hands, than your presence and influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be. Estella, to the last hour of my life, you cannot choose but remain part of my character, part of the little good in me, part of the evil. But, in this separation I associate you only with the good, and I will faithfully hold you to that always, for you must have done me far more good than harm, let me feel now what sharp distress I may. O God bless you, God forgive you!'"

Barbara
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:50:36 AM

Neurons: 27
I imagine Pip is speaking.. Estella can't be removed from his mind and heart as he can't displace the heavyer buildings of London with his own hands.

He won't never forget her
Romany
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:39:31 AM

Neurons: 58,164
Yes - Barbara is correct - apart from a slight pronoun slip. Dickens could have written the following and it would have meant exactly the same thing:

-"Just as it is impossible for you, Estella, to move the huge concrete blocks that make up the buildings of London, so it is impossible for me to remove your influence from my life. You have been, and will always be - just as real and important to me whether I am with you or not, as those huge blocks of stone are in this city."

I hope that, between us, we have made this a little clearer? If not, don't hesitate to ask for more help.

BTW - in English the book is called "Great Exprectations". The word "The" is not used.