mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
KFC Ad Options
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:05:16 AM

Neurons: 39,933
I believe an Australian produced add for KFC has aroused claims of racism in the US,the claims were aired on our National News tonight.
The add was aired during a Test match with the West Indies & Australian cricket teams. There was a group of adds with a young man being in difficult situations and trying to watch the cricket.
One was with future in-laws that weren't cricket followers & the offensive one was, to my recall , as it has been removed from television due to the complaints, about being amongst a group of West Indian supporters and being out numbered. He offers a bucket of KFC to quieten everyone down. Apparently the offence is black people and chicken, or African- American people and chicken.In the full screen there are people with those Marlie berets, and calypso music playing, so I assumed it represented the WI. I would never have associated African-American people and chicken, I just don't get it.
Having said this, there is an Australian Broadcasting Commission out here where people who are offended by anything broadcast on the television, can complain. I have done so with another group of KFC adds that to my mind condoned dishonesty. Everyone has the right in a democracy, to complain if we are offended.
Srividhya
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:33:47 AM

Neurons: 246
Haagen Dazs (of the US) was in soup for a similar reason while opening its outlet in New Delhi, India.

The ad implied that the outlet was open only for white people. After public furore, the ice cream maker removed the offensive words and publicly apologised for using 'the wrong choice of words'.

While ads can be made with simple ideas, dont know why ad agencies and companies make advertisements that could hurt someone.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:02:27 AM

Neurons: 56,753
What the HELL has chicken got to do with African-Americans? On the face of it that sounds like one of the most bizarre statements I've ever heard.

While I agree that ads. shouldn't set out to hurt people the facts seem to be that this was an Australian advert? How on earth does some rather strange shibbolith from America affect it?

Every country has its in-jokes, or pertinent no-no subjects, but how are ad. copy writers expected to be au fait with those of countries all over the world?

Please tell us about the chicken-thing, somebody.
AJC
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:44:11 AM

Neurons: 2,436
Ever notice how when ONE person coomplains about something, it'a often treated as valid just because there was a complaint, Not withstanding how valid the complaint is.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 8:49:24 AM

Neurons: 2,132
Tell you the truth, the only possible connection I can even think of is that KFC resembles {is a form of} southern fried chicken, and the connotation of associating that with the days of slavery somehow, but I've seen as many African-Americans in the KFC's and other chicken fast food places in the US as other races, so I guess I'd have to see the ad to figure it out, really. And that's really stretching the issue badly, if that was the excuse!
Shadowstar
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:01:45 AM

Neurons: 106
The issue is that a long running and well known stereotype negatively depicts African-Americans doing various demeaning things for fried chicken and/or watermelon. Here in the United States, most racist literature denigrating African-Americans contains pictures featuring African-Americans eating chicken or surrounded by chicken. During the Presidential election of 2008, Barak Obama figured prominently in quite a few such ads.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:57:47 AM

Neurons: 56,753
Ye gods and little fishes! Eating chicken perpetuates a negative stereotype? How utterly puerile.

I still don't understand why the advert got pulled in Australia, though. I mean, seriously, how could anyone outside of certain states in America (witness sandraleee's puzzlement)be expected to know that?

It seems to me that AJC is correct and it only needs one person to complain and millions and millions of bucks are get thrown out the window. The world sure is a place of unending interest and mystery.
AJC
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:35:54 AM

AND...Having lived in the city of Detroit,now a suburbanite, I can tell you that most of the chicken emporiums (KFC & Popeye's) are IN the city. So, fried and breaded chicken sells in black communities. I think it's really the southern connection. Many blacks here have a southern connection from the northern migration during WW11 (as do I ) Fried chicken is more of a southern dish than anything else. Put that with some cornbread & greens and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgood
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:09:12 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Fried chicken and watermelon.

And impolite, if not downright nasty stereotypes.

Some of the participants here are far too young to remember any of this personally, but please remember there are still people for whom this is a vivid and unfair memory, and others for whom it is family history.

A brief history of the coon chicken inn

[image not available]
TL Hobs
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:14:53 PM

Neurons: 6,101
I agree that the KFC ad alluded to US "southern cooking." I am not racist and I did grow up in the South. I'm here to tell you that some of the best fried chicken in the world is cooked there. All southerners know that, including African-Americans. My guess is that the ad company's point was lost on the Aussies. Personally, I think KFC sucks. Popeye's and Church's chicken is much better.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:37:29 PM

Neurons: 1,222
In the US,during Super-Bowl and Championship games of many sports, the organizers reap profits as well as wrath from
public for their callousness. The capitalistic goal of the advertisers is to get a large exposure to their products in one stroke
(bang for the buck). Negative ads stay in the minds of people longer than positive run-of-the-mill ads. Some people call this "creative ads" to monetise this phenomenon.
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:17:00 PM

Neurons: 87,618
Isaac, you make a very good point!
Geeman
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:25:18 PM

Neurons: 125,022
It's a little ridiculous that people would actually be bothered by this sort of thing, but anything can be portrayed in such perjorative terms that it actually becomes racist. There are any number of these things if you think about it, not just those associated with black folks. For example, the fact that certain people eat potatos has been used in racist terms. Garlic, cabbage, oats, raw fish, roast beef, snails, salmon, rice.... Any number of things have been associated with a particular ethnicity and then been portrayed negatively. Even particular dishes. Hambugers are, for instance, are associated with Americans, and people sometimes joke about that. People sometimes even use the food as a racist word for that group. Kraut, for example, for Germans. Taco for Mexicans. Etc.

If given a moment's thought, this... culinary racism is particularly weird, but some people need very little provocation or excuse to begin pointing out differences between people, even if those differences are so slight as to be ridiculous. Does pointing out the differences in diet really make any less sense than pointing out things as minor as the angle of the eye? The color of the hair? The tendency for one facial feature or another to have a particular shape or size? It's really all nonsense if you think about it, but we appear to be hard-wired to see such differences.

The fact that people still use food as a marker of racial/cultural identity illustrates how wedded we are to this kind of silliness. Of course, I more than suspect that quite a few of the more vociferous complaints come from people whose agenda really is to get themselves public attention and maybe parley that into some sort of monetary rewards... but the simple fact that that might work does indicate how ingrained this kind of thing is.
.wichitarick
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:11:30 PM

Neurons: 752

I watched this advert. what a lark, for this to get lost on an Aussie is preposterous (that was niceApplause )

The term "culinary racism" is great I like that thank you.
The complaining should be about KFC selling "grilled" chicken huh!
The colonel would be sad.
Tl Hobs you are right popeye's has the recipe .

The Aussies complaining were seeing this as reference to shutting up a group of blacks with fried chicken but all my friends with laugh hysterically at this AND ask where is the watermelon.(oops not p.c.).
Hungry cricket players might be dangerous no matter what the food or race.
This advertisement is here and a large "discussion" on culinary racism KFC AD. culinary racism
Tovarish
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:24:54 PM

The racism complaints came from the US not Australia, as I understand it.
I think something got lost in translation with the last post.How have a group of WEST INDIANS cricket supporters, become African Americans? Is it at all possible that there is a hint of litigation here, & not racial sensitivities?
Anyway they were only little wee strips of chicken.
.wichitarick
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 12:28:50 AM

Neurons: 752
Hi
Yes I guess I understood already or should have just assumed it was an American lawyer screaming LAWSUIT.
Hint of litigation, NO But what do I know ?Think anything I could say would not be "politically correct" and would be lost in translation (type) as it is .
"Culinary Racism" I like that thanks . that website was quite the eye opener .To be honest I did not start looking for that advert. but found it while looking for pictures of "Aunt Jemimah" .
The wee strips of chicken is why I say the lawsuit should be about the person offering a cricket team a bucket of chicken .
Those folks are rough .We saw an Aussie soccer game in Perth and they warned US, Certified tough,Government issue,legally drunk,Uniform wearing, Government SAILORS to be carefulThink and not from the team mates but from the fans Dancing No fear Whistle Free beer.

These issues get so twisted up so quickly ,I would love to know the opinion of every one of those west Indians? HintThink Think I know they have better food than KFC ever will. R.C. politically correct
Tovarish
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 1:26:54 AM

Ha ha wichitarick, you got it!. We love our sports. All's fair in love & war & sports!. Wait until we get to horse racing, Aussie rules football,& Union.
I don't know about you but I'm really getting sick of this political correctness. Now if our politicians were correct, that would be another issue.Its taking all the fun out of things,Australia has been playing cricket against Commonwealth Countries for as long as, & there has never been such interest in the game until little wee strips of chicken got handed out.
TYSON
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 5:33:06 AM

Neurons: 3,793
I think it's all a bit silly. By the way, was'nt Colonel Sanders a Klansman anyway?
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 6:31:25 AM

Neurons: 2,132
Having watched that commercial, I'm still mystified. It looked to me like a "tailgate" party in full swing, and everyone was eating the chicken, so where's the slur?? I saw white hands going into the same bucket as black! It was just a bunch of people having a good time. First, the emancipation proclamation outlawed slavery in 1863, and it took full effect in the former Confederate states in 1865. Now the way I count that, that's 145 years ago. so NOBODY who was directly affected by the issue of slavery is still alive, and hanging onto what some of my ancestors in the south MAY have done to some of the African-Americans' ancestors a century and a half ago, all of whom are long dead now, is just about personal gain based on guilt, the way I see it. I'm not my ancestors, and I didn't do any of the things they're complaining about. The Aussies and West Indians had NOTHING to do with any of it, so how can what they were doing be construed as racial stereotyping?? That's just carrying "PC" WAY over the line! The notion of a potential lawsuit over it, does make a small bit of sense of it, although on what grounds such a suit would be based, I sure didn't see! If you ask me, it's just to focus attention on something, anything, other than matters of real importance...like what our governments are doing behind our backs, and they're hoping we won't catch on about, before everything is in place! Things like the healthcare reform here, opening another front in the war on terrorism, in Yemen, and so on...
AJC
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:19:49 AM

RuthP wrote:

Some of the participants here are far too young to remember any of this personally, but please remember there are still people for whom this is a vivid and unfair memory, and others for whom it is family history.

[image not available]

Well....that is just mean spirited and ugly.
TYSON
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 10:41:46 AM

There's this one too:

pedro
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 11:02:14 AM

Neurons: 63,022

[image not available]

This was on UK screens until 1978 (called The Black and White Minstrel Show}
TYSON
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 11:06:51 AM

cant see it pedro
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:52:32 PM

Your right Pedro, I can remember that show playing in Australia. I don't mean to be funny but it was in the black & white days, of TV I mean. As a child I really didn't like it.
Ellenrita
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2010 10:23:34 PM

Neurons: 3,889
RuthP wrote:

[image not available]

When Tiger Woods got to play the Augusta Golf Open a member asked, in front of TV camera, would they now have to put fried Chicken on their menu.
jinsy
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:15:57 AM

Neurons: 93
KFC is a known australian chicken restaurant known all over the world...
fourx
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 6:39:06 PM

Neurons: 21
Please, jinsy, don't blame us for KFC- we're a long way South of Kentucky here.Anxious
Re the Coon reference above, the Aborigines here tried to enforce a name change or ban the advertising of Coon cheese in Australia in the PC 90's.
rivershin
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2010 9:31:35 PM

Neurons: 102
I'm wondering if the "culinary racism" was thought to be directed at the Aborigines?

My cynical shadow says this could be nothing but devious advertising. Maybe the chicken lobby was offended!
Tovarish
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 12:14:49 AM

rivershin, as per my original posting. The ad was introduced when the West Indies played Australia in the cricket.
The chicken was given to WI people in the crowd to shush them up as they were playing drums and generally supporting their team.
By a young Aussie cricket fan.
No aboriginal intent what so ever.