mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Eurovision time - say cheese! Options
thar
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 5:18:55 AM

Neurons: 90,937
Congratulations on Icelandic entry on getting through to the final Applause

Pollapönk - Enga fordóma

Sung in Icelandic and then English, on the theory that it is not much use singing a song about tolerance and understanding if nobody else understands it!

Quote:
Pollapönk were founded in 2006 by guitarists Haraldur Freyr Gislason and Heidar Orn Kristjansson of the Icelandic post-punk trio Botnledja. They created Pollapönk when graduating as Bachelors of Education from the Icelandic University of Education – in fact the first Pollapönk album was recorded when Haraldur and Heidar were graduating as pre-school teachers: they made an album as a part of their final work and submitted it along with a final paper. The purpose was to write and perform ambitious music that children and adults alike would enjoy and be able to sing along to. The songs are intended to relate to different age groups in an open and illuminating way.

The first Pollapönk album was a major hit in Iceland. In 2007 drummer Arnar Thor Gislason – who is Haraldur‘s brother - and bassplayer Gudni Finnsson both joined Pollapönk, who then became a quartet. Pollapönk have recorded two subsequent albums and played countless gigs for children and adults all over Iceland. In everyday life Haraldur Freyr is chairman of the Association of pre-school Teachers. Heidar Orn is a pre-school teacher and Arnar Thor and Gudni are professional musicians.

I can certainly hear a couple of familiar punk progressions in there!

I find if you listen to it a couple of times, it it very catchy! I don't think it has any chance of getting many marks, but it is fun!! Dancing Dancing

I haven't seen any of the other entries yet, but I am sure they all did themselves proud - and hopefully they were as strange and weird as ever. Dancing

edit - I just noticed the blurb I quoted had their names a bit crudely transliterated. So, with respect...
Heiðar Örn Kristjánsson, Haraldur Freyr Gíslason, Arnar Þór Gíslason, Guðni Finnson.
Not the same thing!

edit 2
thanks sarah!
sarah71
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:06:07 AM

Neurons: 79,449
Hi Thar,
I just heard a few seconds of Iceland's song, it is very catchy indeed, and it really stands out among the other monotonous Europop tunes. Congratulations to the guys for entering the final and, as the saying goes, break a leg!
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:22:49 AM

Neurons: 605,462
Sorry Thar, I can only say eDam!.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:36:23 AM

Ah, I think you are just jealous because Katie Price is not the British entry. She isn't, is she? I thought I saw some news item about her trying, but I assume it didn't amount to anything.... but you never know. Let your Wensleydale do its best!

I almost wish Russia had won the last one, and it had been held in Russia this time. Pollapönk could have sung their hit "Þór og Jón eru hjón" - Thor and John are married. That would have been one in the eye for the haters.Applause

And those guys must be the coolest pre-school teachers!Whistle
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:56:58 AM

Neurons: 605,462
No. it's not Katie Price. It is Molly something-or-other aided by whatever electronic sound devices are available today.
sarah71
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 6:58:14 AM

Neurons: 79,449
I wonder whether the contestants lipsync or actually sing live...
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 7:26:25 AM

Neurons: 563,379
12 points from the Faeroe Islands?
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 8:43:09 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Ding Dange Dong (or Ding-a-Dong to Esperanto speakers) was the pinnacle of Eurovision cultural achievement. It all went downhill after that. Sick

Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 9:20:14 AM

Neurons: 1,396,883
Thar, that was fun. Thank you for the link. Can you imagine having people like that educating children? We could use more like them.

The Brit entry is Molly Smitten-Downes, goes by just "Molly." From what I gather, she is an experienced performer. It seems that she could be a refreshing change from Bonnie Tyler or Engelbert Humperdink, but then again, say "cheese."
thar
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2020 4:23:25 PM

Rejuvenating a very old thread but I prefer that to starting new ones.
I am sure there are more interesting threads to append this to but this one came up first and I didn't continue looking. So anyway...

Eurovision selection time in Iceland. Going through so far on the public vote - heavy metal, post-modern ironic electronica?, some tuneful songs, some with attitude, and this one. A bit out of the ordinary for Eurovision so I really hope it gets entered. Probably would be the first entry with lyrics in Latin.

Oculis videre

Nice and calming. Whistle

Not sure about every note, but it is supposed to be a song contest, not a singing (or staging) contest.

Any opinions?

The singer is Iva. This is her audition for The Voice Iceland a few years ago. The judges turn around if they want the singer to progress, and they didn't.
And, yes, she is blind. From birth.

Iva audition 2016
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 11:23:12 AM

Neurons: 225,144
I agree with one of the commenters - the MIX could be better. Her voice should be a little more prominent and the chorus reduced.

Not quite ABBA . . . or Lulu.

It will take a lot to top Riverdance, though.
thar
Posted: Saturday, February 29, 2020 6:14:22 PM

Sad - she didn't win. This was expected to and did. I don't think it's that great but at least it is fun. And a little funky.
And, as you can see from this video, doesn't take itself too seriously!

It is sung in English here because the rule is you have to sing the same version in the selection final and in the Eurovision - ie they sang in Icelandic in the semi-final but have to sing in English in the final if they want to do that in the actual competition. Which makes sense in terms of people understanding but I think is sad for a competition that should celebrate all diverse European (and some Middle Eastern, Asian and Australian) culture.

Ah well, the Eurovision can always use a little more funk.

Daði & Gagnamagnið – Think About Things

It's funny - on the listing they give the names:
Music - Daði Freyr
Lyrics - in Icelandic - Daði Freyr
Lyrics - In English - Daði Freyr Pétursson

It is like suddenly that requires a last name, which people don't normally use. FunnyWhistle

Oh, and speaking of Riverdance, apparently KEiiNO (the Norwegian entry from last time with the Saami joik chorus) was invited to be the interval act for the selection final.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2020 12:08:16 PM

OK so no Eurovision in Holland this year.

But there is a netflix film out - Eurovision - the story of Fire Saga or something like that - making fun of the whole kitchness of it with a fictional Icelandic entry.
Of course Iceland hasn't taken offence at being made fun of - songs from the film have got into the charts.
I haven't seem the film but apparently it is better than you would expect from a Will Farrell vehicle with guest spots from Eurovision stars. And parodying something that is so silly in the first place it is hard to be more kitch.
So, anyway, I don't know about that, but the Euroentry song is catchy.It is actually not outlandish at all - I think it would do quite well...
The actress is American/Canadian but the song is actually sung by a Swedish singer.

My home town

And for an American film where the stars are American/Canadian/British/Irish, it is fun to play 'spot the famous Icelandic actors'. Whistle

closing scene

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 9:25:09 AM

Neurons: 53,387
thar wrote:
OK so no Eurovision in Holland this year.

But there is a netflix film out - Eurovision - the story of Fire Saga or something like that - making fun of the whole kitchness of it with a fictional Icelandic entry.
Of course Iceland hasn't taken offence at being made fun of - songs from the film have got into the charts.
I haven't seem the film but apparently it is better than you would expect from a Will Farrell vehicle with guest spots from Eurovision stars. And parodying something that is so silly in the first place it is hard to be more kitch.
So, anyway, I don't know about that, but the Euroentry song is catchy.It is actually not outlandish at all - I think it would do quite well...
The actress is American/Canadian but the song is actually sung by a Swedish singer.

My home town

And for an American film where the stars are American/Canadian/British/Irish, it is fun to play 'spot the famous Icelandic actors'. Whistle

closing scene

Thanks Thar. “My Hometown” singer has a gorgeous voice!

Loved “Jaja Ding Dong” rhythm - baby takes the prize.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 10:04:35 AM

That last one has the definite vibe of Lulu in 1969 - so although from the plot it looks like it isn't their Eurovision song, it sure sounds like one. From 50 years ago!

Boom bang-a-bang

Canada should join. Australia did, so you can't argue it is just for Europe. Not the US for now, though - I fear some people would take it far too seriously. But I think Canadians would get it.

I know, I know,generalisations by country are bad. Shame on you I just think the American media would have an agenda other than celebration.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2020 7:14:33 PM

Neurons: 53,387
Hey Thar!

That one's great too. A real toe tapper. Plus she's cute.

I had never heard of Eurovision till I read this thread today.

If it is the media that might be a problem, Canada's is almost as bad as the US and getting worse in the past few years.

Conservative Stephen Harper (who is actually Reform Party taking the Progressive Conservative name but no longer being PC - it’s a long story) muzzled the media while in office and also sold Postmedia to an American hedge fund which is Republican. So I'm not sure they'd be any better than the American media because it is no longer Canadian. They tell the broadcasters what to say and support Conservative viewpoints.

This and other attacks Harper made on Canada's democracy are why we got rid of him in 2016.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:42:14 AM

Neurons: 12,542
Eurovision can be a mixed bag pervious winner have included Conchita Würst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaolVEJEjV4
Netta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CziHrYYSyPc

And Lordi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU

Some years the voters are just having a laugh.
Of course the British tradition of having a sarcastic Irishman commentator the late Sir Terry Wogan and now Graham Norton doesn’t endear us to the organisers...
They seem to think we find it silly can’t imagine why.
thar
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:07:03 AM

I have just looked at this video of the winners - a real social history

all winners since 1956

-chansons to pop to anthems
- the hair, the trousers
- Luxembourg, a lot!
- countries that no longer exist or newly exist
- the growth of staging ad absurdum
- the bizarre!
- and, so sad, the switch to English by so many countries

And now I get the Ding-a-dong reference. Ouch.
thar
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2020 6:59:03 AM

People are weird - why would someone make a video of all the eurovision second placers.

It is actually more interesting than the first places. UK runners up a lot in the earlier years. Several famous acts ( I never knew the Shadows had entered) and it seems a bit more geographically and culturally diverse than the winners list. (I'm not just saying that because it includes two from Iceland - they were pretty bland).

Bizarre isn't new. That make-up from the German backing singers - Eh?
But I don't think the Babushkas would get nominated nowadays!

eurovision second placers
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 11:59:24 PM

Neurons: 225,144
The amazing thing (to me) is that, except for a couple from the early years, I only recognised ONE song.

And the version of "Fly on the Wings of Love" I remember is so totally different from the one on that video, it could well be a different song with the same name.

It's the Eurovision SONG contest (not "singer contest") and the songs are so . . .forgettable.