mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
what does" The rose's rarest essesence lives in the thorn" mean? Options
reiki333
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:44:40 AM

Neurons: 74,481
Is it something like there must be some pain within the beauty & scent of the rose? I believe its from Rumi...Think
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:48:31 AM

Neurons: 15,842
about thorns
Barbara
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 10:57:45 AM

Neurons: 27
the evil side of nature is the one that really shows its essence.
Every man on earth has always been linked to evil it self, in the sense of sin, of selfishness, or simple seduction of not doing the right thing.
It's such a double-faced argument: evil(whose sound remotly remembers the word "ego"), we feel evil on one hand like repulsive,but on the other hand like temptation..
But falling in temptation is not always "repulsive", it can also be experience that teaches us what really means doing the right thing.
I agree with Coleridge on that

There can be said a lot of things on this topic. Great argument
JPtheapostle
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:15:51 AM

Neurons: 9
A rose is commonly appreciated as a flower, but few appreciate or recognize beauty or value in its thorns. Rumi rarely ascribes "evil" to nature or existence, and I doubt that this poemette flowed from any perception of thorns as "evil."
The Saurus
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 12:24:45 PM

Neurons: 762
If you truly want something you have to be prepared to stab yourself to get it.
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:42:39 PM

Neurons: 4,778
Well, I think that the phrase is worded awkwardly, and after looking up various meanings of the word "rare" and "essence," I think I may have come to an acceptable conclusion.

"The rose's rarest essence lives in the thorn."

First, let's take a look at the word "rare." According to the Collins Dictionary entry on TFD, "rare" can mean "not widely known; not widely used or experienced; uncommon or unusual." I would say that the first two ideas expressed in that definition make more sense than most other commonly accepted definitions of rare. Thorns are not uncommon or unusual on roses, after all.

Second, let's take a look at the word "essence." I tend to think of essence as the 6th definition under the American Heritage Dictionary entry on TFD, however that makes little to no sense. However, the first definition makes sense, which is "the intrinsic or indispensable properties that serve to characterize or identify something."

Taking a second look at the phrase, the sentence becomes "The thorn is one of the most character defining attributes of the rose, yet it is the least widely used/known." I have seen many roses that have had their thorns removed, as I can safely guess the majority of people appreciate roses for their beauty or scent. However, all roses grow thorns naturally, it is truly a hallmark of the rose, but it is so infrequently observed or appreciated. To ignore such a feature, though, is to deny a part of what makes the rose what it is. It is a fragile beauty that has one line of defense, to bite those that would touch it. Without this key trait, I doubt it would have survived long. Beauty attracts admirers, and admirers will unwittingly harm such a plant in the process of taking it for themselves. The thorns prevent the admirers from harming the rose bush in their ignorance. Instead, it teaches the admirers to appreciate the rose from a distance.

I think the sentence is really just meant to make the readers ponder the thorns, and how they are part of the whole of what a rose is and how that is significant. I sometimes associate the thorn with the price of beauty.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:42:25 PM

Neurons: 58,164
nooblet - a truly great deconstruction . Think you've given the definitive answer to the question there, mate.
reiki333
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:48:42 AM

Neurons: 74,481
That was a beautiful interpretation nooblet!!! I so appreciate the time & the thought processing...thanks for that enlightenment!
man in black
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 8:25:16 AM

Neurons: 1,334
beauty without a certain degree of danger lacks much of attraction, besides the thorns being the guardians of the rose, they are also there to make you aware that there´s always a price to be paid for almost every pleasure we relish
frasha4ever
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 10:00:45 AM

Neurons: 208
very well said nooblet Applause