mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Joachim von Ribbentrop (1893) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,155
Joachim von Ribbentrop (1893)

Ribbentrop was Nazi Germany's foreign minister from 1938 until 1945, during which time he helped negotiate the German-Soviet Nonaggression Pact of 1939, which set the stage for Germany's attack on Poland that touched off World War II. He, like so many other Nazi officials, was an active participant in the "Final Solution" and various other atrocities and was one of the few who paid with his life at Nuremberg, where he was tried, convicted, and hanged for his war crimes. What were his last words? More...
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:24:58 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Am I imagining this or didn't (von) Ribbentrop's dog, perhaps out of sympathy for his owner's demise, commit suicide by urinating on a lamp-post with faulty wiring? Perhaps another urban myth.
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:31:10 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Will we celebrate Goebbels', Goering's, Himmler's and Heydrich's birthdays, too?
Oh wait, we forgot 'Führers Geburtstag' ten days ago.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I find it important and appropriate to keep reminding the world of what has happened during the Third Reich at each and every occasion, but do we really need to single out the birthdays of those culprits to provide mementos?
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:05:09 AM

Neurons: 7,550,582
No celebrations!! Shame on you

His words To Leon Goldensohn, June 23, 1946, from "The Nuremberg Interviews" by Leon Goldensohn, Robert Gellately - History - 2004

"I was truly under Hitler's spell, that cannot be denied. I was impressed with him from the moment I first met him, in 1932. He had terrific power, especially in his eyes. Now the tribunal accuses us of conspiracy. I say, how can one have a conspiracy in a dictatorship government? One man and one man only made all the crucial decisions. That was the Fuhrer. In all my dealings with him I never discussed the exterminations or anything of that sort. What I shall never comprehend is that six weeks before the end of the war he assured me we'd win by a nose. I left his presence then and said that from that time forth I was completely at a loss — that I didn't understand a thing. Hitler always, until the end, and even now, had a strange fascination over me. Would you call it abnormal of me? Sometimes, in his presence, when he spoke of all his plans, the good things he would do for the Volk, vacations, highways, new buildings, cultural advantages and so forth, tears would come to my eyes. Would that be because I'm a hysterical weak man?"

Shame on you
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:53:04 AM

Neurons: 170,308
"I'll see you again."
walirlan
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 10:02:23 AM

Neurons: 253,078
This picture after his execution is shocking. But more shocking is that he esteemed Hitler so much knowing how many people died during the World War II.
ithink140
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 1:18:38 PM

Neurons: 17,922
Pedro mused: Am I imagining this or didn't (von) Ribbentrop's dog, perhaps out of sympathy for his owner's demise, commit suicide by urinating on a lamp-post with faulty wiring? Perhaps another urban myth.

What an electrifying thought!
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:45:08 PM

Neurons: 1,430,822
IMcRout wrote:
Will we celebrate Goebbels', Goering's, Himmler's and Heydrich's birthdays, too?
Oh wait, we forgot 'Führers Geburtstag' ten days ago.

Sorry for the sarcasm. I find it important and appropriate to keep reminding the world of what has happened during the Third Reich at each and every occasion, but do we really need to single out the birthdays of those culprits to provide mementos?

I agree with you. Having grown up watching footage on TV, as a young child I didn't realize until I was older the effect that it had on me. While it is important for subsequent generations to be made aware of it all, I'm now quite shy to look. To acknowledge the birthdays of these people is a turn off for me, but not everyone on the planet has had this "in yer face" experience, and so I can appreciate the educational aspect.

Personally, I vote for acknowledging the birthday of Alice B. Toklas (aside from hanging out with Gertrude Stein, I have recall of a pretty good cookbook) or Cloris Leachman (Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein) or even Johnny Galecki (The Big Bang Theory).

Happy Birthday!!
thar
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 6:00:14 PM

Neurons: 97,340
I never thought of 'today's birthday' as a celebration - strange though that sounds. Just as a figure from history, whatever the situation, who happened to be born on this day. But now I do see your point that if you do have a mental filing of it as a celebration then he is certainly not a character one wants to celebrate.
Henry Martinez
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 8:02:48 PM

Neurons: 1,811
It has nothing to do with this bastards birthday, it has to do with remembering how weak cowardly pathetic scum like the Nazi's could successfully be the cause of the slaughter of millions of guiltless human beings. If you didn't live throughh it you will never understand the fear everyone felt. Here in the States every household knew the dread of getting "the letter" or seeing soldiers walking to someone's door knowing somewhere in Europe or in the Pacific some loved one had died. Add, we were some of the lucky one's, we were never invaded. Everyone should remember every day what that little puny sonofabitch did to the world. They really believed that the world was there's to carve up anyway they wanted. To bad other's with real guts decided they wouldn't.
Henry Martinez
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:55:52 PM

Neurons: 1,811
Henry Martinez wrote:
It has nothing to do with this bastards birthday, it has to do with remembering how weak cowardly pathetic scum like the Nazi's could successfully be the cause of the slaughter of millions of guiltless human beings. If you didn't live throughh it you will never understand the fear everyone felt. Here in the States every household knew the dread of getting "the letter" or seeing soldiers walking to someone's door knowing somewhere in Europe or in the Pacific some loved one had died. And, we were some of the lucky one's, we were never invaded. Everyone should remember every day what that little puny sonofabitch did to the world. They really believed that the world was their's to carve up anyway they wanted. To bad other's with real guts decided they wouldn't.