mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,614
The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 12:33:54 AM

Neurons: 350,106
Daemon wrote:

Not just can, but does it with vigor.

A systematic method of intellectual self-defense is one's only countermeasure to what Orwell calls "universal deceit."

I put forth the method used by the likes of Socrates as your best bet - the trivium method of intellectual self-defense.

The Trivium Binder Project
http://triviumbinder.blogspot.com/
hassanishome2
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:16:48 AM

Neurons: 335,334
Devil's got talent ;)
Bertoray
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 4:21:25 AM

Neurons: 27,584
I've noticed a politician or two citing scripture.
TheParser
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 7:07:10 AM

Neurons: 22,062
So true!

So-called "religious people" cite holy books when they find a passage that supports their viewpoint.

But they ignore those passages that contradict their viewpoints.

thar
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 7:15:00 AM

Neurons: 97,689
To be fair, if you are talking Christian scripture, you have a lot to play with. Stick the Christian book of peace, love and forgiveness on the end of the Jewish book of wrath, vengeance and law, and you can find something in that lot to justify absolutely any viewpoint you want to elevate!
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 7:28:37 AM

Neurons: 365,727
Daemon wrote:

Words even the most righteous ones must be supported with deeds otherwise sooner or later they start to lose their meaning.
Dr. Mohammed Albadri
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 8:24:50 AM

Neurons: 77,915
so true
GordonB
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 8:32:55 AM

Neurons: 2,054
You should still try to grasp what is being said, especially by the churchmen. "Test the Scriptures", ordains our Lord Jesus Christ. To remain undeceived, the only real solution is living according to the Gospel, as well as reading and rereading Apostolic Epistles and the Acts of the Apostles. From that position, you should realise (as John Donne puts it) that the Old Testament is the prefigurement of the New. There have to be core things in your mind represented by Jesus Christ, His Self-Sacrifice for our sins, and His Reconciliation of us with God the Father. Indeed, a true Christian who lives in meekness and humility, and believes and does the Will of God - is a source of insurmountable terror for the devil, who frequently flees such ones. Otherwise, the fact that the devil comes near us shows that either we are proud or that (which applies to the former as well) that we have forsaken the Godly path (the narrow path), or in other words that we put ourselves in danger of perdition, or, which too is possible, that we stand in need of temptation to be tried (as Abraham was) for the strength of our faith and loyalty to God. The coming of devil during our life-time may signify a call of God to return to Him.
The devil's arrival can also be effected auricularly - it is just one of the insruments through which the evil spirit has access to our souls (remember the Original Sin?). A great proportion of persuasion is made through our hearing. In this connection we should recall the parable of the seed - God makes sure, in the last times, that the Gospel is preached to all nations across the globe, so that "many will arise from the East and the West" (Matt 8:11). Thus, the devil is eager to disrupt the union with God, and tries to pollute, and nip the seed in the bud. Since he cannot be truly original, but parasitises on that which he seeks to destroy, he reverts to the Holy Scriptures (but, as you might infer, to many other things in this world, such as the Christian family, to devastate it) in order to win over as many souls to hell as he can.
Thus, seek God and do his will, and "the gates of hell shall not prevail". Remember, that God loves us and we should just open ourselves to Him to trample the devil underfoot - because God will vanquish the devil, as He has already done in the Person of Jesus Christ, in our lives as soon as we consecrate them and walk the path of righteousness. (Matt 16:18)
jcbarros
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 9:12:11 AM

Neurons: 14,289
How could he not do it? The devil wrote the Scripture.
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 11:49:47 AM

Neurons: 672,827
Gordonb - Applause Applause Applause
walirlan
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 2:48:33 PM

Neurons: 253,078
Many religions use bible verses PERFECTLY.

"The Bible is a violin, and even the devil can play his own tune on it."

If you search diligently, you can find verses in the Bible to prove almost anything. So in the wrong hands, the Bible can be a dangerous instrument.
nikki71671
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 2:51:25 PM

Neurons: 9
To TheParser and anyone else who shares this viewpoint and reads this post, First, I want to apologize to you for any, so called, believer who has ever made you feel this way. Also, I just want to ask you to PLEASE be sure not to lump all believers into that one category. A TRUE Christian will even accept the scriptures that he or she DOESN'T want to hear and do their best to adhere to them. If someone is calling themselves a Christian and refusing to accept the TRUTHS of The Word, then they are lying to God, themselves, and others. It's a matter of knowing that the truth sometimes hurts or is uncomfortable. I consider myself to be a loyal believer, however, my goal is to love others even when they DON'T agree with me and to do right. If I fail at either of these, then I STRIVE, because I'm not perfect, to apologize quickly when I should. I MUST humble myself, as those who are too proud are like killers who get sloppy. Pride can and WILL be their undoing.

I pray that you are well and thanks for listening!!

Blessings to you,
Nikki

TheParser wrote:
So true!

So-called "religious people" cite holy books when they find a passage that supports their viewpoint.

But they ignore those passages that contradict their viewpoints.

Hope2
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:37:35 PM

Neurons: 16,769
No need to apologize, Nikki. It is called confirmation bias and everybody does it with their own beliefs. Welcome to the Forum.

Except me, of course.Whistle
monamagda
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 3:44:09 PM

Neurons: 7,679,916
From "The Merchant of Venice" - Act 1, Scene 3 ( Antonio taking to Bassanio)

ANTONIO
Mark you this, Bassanio,
An evil soul producing holy witness

Is like a villain with a smiling cheek,
A goodly apple rotten at the heart:
O, what a goodly outside falsehood hath!
cdrobsonjr
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 6:03:09 PM

Neurons: 462,708
Shakespeare was not trying so much to be cleaver but to use what was known to him of Satan's temptation of first Adam and Eve - where Satan misquoted or misrepresented God's word and again when Christ was tempted by Satan as recorded in Matthew chapter 4. Satan is the master deceiver and the father of the lie. Shakespeare was saying that men ape Satan's treachery by making illegitimate use of God's word for their own evil ends.
RamufAznag
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 10:23:28 PM

Neurons: 578,405
I'm sorry cdrobsonjr, you are wrong!

[image not available]

It is Loki, who is "the master deceiver and the father of the lie"!
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:47:09 AM

Neurons: 22,062
nikki71671 wrote:
A TRUE Christian will even accept the scriptures that he or she DOESN'T want to hear and do their best to adhere to them.

Thank you, Nikki, for your very thoughtful comments.

I am sure that you are, indeed, a true Christian.

You may already be aware of something that either Mahatma Gandhi or George Bernard Shaw said.

It goes something like this:

Christianity is a good idea. Someone ought to try it sometime.