mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Earth Day Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,209
Earth Day

The first Earth Day was observed on April 22, 1970, to draw public attention to the need for cleaning up the Earth's air and water and for conserving our natural resources. Earth Day is now observed regularly throughout the United States and in many other countries. Typical ways of celebrating Earth Day include planting trees, picking up roadside trash, and conducting various programs for recycling and conservation. Schoolchildren may be asked to use only recyclable containers for their snacks and lunches, and families often try to give up wasteful habits. More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:14:08 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I remember the awareness of the dangers to Earth coming to public consciousness in the seventies.
Hope2
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 8:42:44 AM

Neurons: 16,769
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: from Merriam Webster -

Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained. Saving the environment is really about saving our environment -- making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it. If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so. -Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b.1945).
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 2:10:09 PM

Neurons: 7,559,187
Earth Day
BY JANE YOLEN
I am the Earth
And the Earth is me.
Each blade of grass,
Each honey tree,
Each bit of mud,
And stick and stone
Is blood and muscle,
Skin and bone.

And just as I
Need every bit
Of me to make
My body fit,
So Earth needs
Grass and stone and tree
And things that grow here
Naturally.

That’s why we
Celebrate this day.
That’s why across
The world we say:
As long as life,
As dear, as free,
I am the Earth
And the Earth is me. 

Jane Yolen, "Earth Day" from The Three Bears Holiday Rhyme Book. Copyright © 1995 by Jane Yolen. Reprinted by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt.
William39
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:48:53 PM

Neurons: 138,701
So perfect and hospitable but we want to cut it, like a piece of cake and possess it!!! Boundaries, boundaries, boundaries, mine, mine, mine - homo sapiens' mentality.
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 6:10:43 PM

Neurons: 23,973
The 1960s raised our consciousness to many issues, recycling being just one of them. Hurrah for the hippies.
Listening . . .
Posted: Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:32:51 PM

Neurons: 3,950
Earth is amazing and beautiful and powerful . . . I Love this planet! I just wish I knew WHY ARE WE HERE?!?!? Anxious
excaelis
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:50:32 AM

Neurons: 32,652
I'm kinda with Hope on this one. Enlightened self interest is our best weapon. Besides, I like whales better than overpaid oil company execs. They're way less obnoxious when they've had a few.

@Listening : If you can think of anywhere else to hang out I'm all ears...Angel

I'm reminded of the old soldiers' song ( to the tune of Auld lang Syne ):

We're here because we're here,
Because we're here because we're here.
We're here because we're here
Because we're here because we're here.

( continue 'til trench foot spreads to major organs...)
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:43:24 PM

Neurons: 1,430,822
Hope2 wrote:
A THOUGHT FOR TODAY: from Merriam Webster -

Myth: we have to save the earth. Frankly, the earth doesn't need to be saved. Nature doesn't give a hoot if human beings are here or not. The planet has survived cataclysmic and catastrophic changes for millions upon millions of years. Over that time, it is widely believed, 99 percent of all species have come and gone while the planet has remained. Saving the environment is really about saving our environment -- making it safe for ourselves, our children, and the world as we know it. If more people saw the issue as one of saving themselves, we would probably see increased motivation and commitment to actually do so. -Robert M. Lilienfeld, management consultant and author (b. 1953) and William L. Rathje, archaeologist and author (b.1945).

Now that I've had a chance to think about it, this is the best take I've ever heard. Thank you, Hope2. As humans, we consider ourselves to be above all other forms of life, and at the same time we are the worst perpetrators. You don't see any other species interfering the way that we do.

The lions, the frogs, the birds: they have no interest in documentaries about their lifestyles. They go about their business day by day. Their only prerogative is to survive, while we busy ourselves in the gossip of others, whether human or insect or whatever, and then we think we're cool because we know who is dating or cheating on whom. I really doubt that the penguin needs to see a film about how the big cats in Africa can take down a zebra.

I think that humans live in a world of delusion and illusion where an attempt is made to validate one's existence by knowing for sure that everyone and everything else is worse off. I would imagine that the idea of making the planet "...safe for ourselves, our children, and the world..." would leave little time for most people to find out what Lindsay Lohan has been up to these days.
excaelis
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:06:51 AM

Neurons: 32,652
Very few penguins watch movies about people hiking or learning to tap-dance. Penguins are very clear thinkers.