What Beatle is your favorite and why? Options
Christine
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 11:39:22 AM

Neurons: 15,842
My is George Harrison. But, I will write later about 'why'. Whistle
Geeman
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 12:14:59 PM

Neurons: 125,022
My favorite story about the Beatles comes from Paul after John's death. During an interview he was asked what he missed about John and he described the process of collaboration. Paul would throw out a lyric:

It's gettin' better all the ti-ai-ime!

And John would respond:

It couldn't get much worse!

Gotta love that back and forth.

In general, I'm more of a John Lennon guy. He put himself out there as an artist more dramatically, and even when that turned out rather sour, he at least went for it. The rest are too cautious artistically for my taste. They all went a little overboard after The Beatles, but Ringo's later career makes me wince. McCartney is a little too cute and fuzzy, and seems very conscious of his public persona. Harrison would be my #2 simply because I think he walked it like he talked it with the most class, but that'd be a close call with McCartney.
Todd C. Williams
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 12:49:16 PM

Neurons: 10,440
John. (To answer a slightly different question.) He strove for peace and put all his energy in that direction. "This is Christmas/War is Over" is my favorite holiday song. Yes, not quite a Beatles tune.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 12:55:28 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Hey Jude by Paul McCartney.
I can recall this from my memory bank and hum instantly.
Cass
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 1:17:49 PM

Neurons: 1,770
My fave Beatle is/was George Harrison mainly because I loved the pieces he wrote but also because he seemed uncomfortable with all the attention. He was my Mum's favourite because he "was shy". He wasn't a bad guitar player, either.
Christine
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 3:30:49 PM

Cass wrote:
My fave Beatle is/was George Harrison mainly because I loved the pieces he wrote but also because he seemed uncomfortable with all the attention. He was my Mum's favourite because he "was shy". He wasn't a bad guitar player, either.

Yes. I saw a documentary on the Beatles and he was the person who led the Beatles into all the new sounds.

pkeadle
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 5:31:55 PM

Neurons: 427
Mine is Paul. He has turned in to a complete musician. Sir Paul no less. The others were great too, but we didn't get to have George and John long enough.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 7:15:28 PM

Neurons: 7,777
Let it be. I love that song. The only problem is that it is a bit repetitive as far as lyrics are concerned.

And yes, Paul of course. I like John lennon's solo, Imagine. Actually, for the words. Honestly, this song 'whispers words of wisdom' more than the first. :D
TL Hobs
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 7:27:38 PM

Neurons: 6,101
I liked them as a group more so than individually. He's not my favorite, but I heard that Ringo Starr is getting back together again.
Christine
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 7:53:46 PM

kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
Let it be. I love that song. The only problem is that it is a bit repetitive as far as lyrics are concerned.

And yes, Paul of course. I like John lennon's solo, Imagine. Actually, for the words. Honestly, this song 'whispers words of wisdom' more than the first. :D

Let it be. Is a genius way of saying don't lose your temper or forgive someone or let the past stay in the past.

But, I do love the words and melody of Imagine.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:41:19 AM

Neurons: 2,132
Here I go with the wet blanket again, but NONE: the reason being they WRECKED rock and roll, and only play cacaphony behind their words, not music at all, in my opinion. Once they hit the American shores I couldn't listen to the radio any more, without becoming severely agitated by the racket pouring out, even at low volumes, because I'm just too sensitve to the quality of sound, I guess. Anyway, all I got from it is a strong urge to KILL something!
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 6:20:56 AM

Neurons: 6,040
sandraleesmith46 wrote:
Here I go with the wet blanket again, but NONE: the reason being they WRECKED rock and roll, and only play cacaphony behind their words, not music at all, in my opinion. Once they hit the American shores I couldn't listen to the radio any more, without becoming severely agitated by the racket pouring out, even at low volumes, because I'm just too sensitve to the quality of sound, I guess. Anyway, all I got from it is a strong urge to KILL something!

"Let it Be"
grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:37:50 AM

Neurons: 33,836
When my sister and I were kids, we used to love to get together with either our two neighbor friends or our two cousins and pretend to be the Beatles. I was always John. I think I secretly always wanted to be Paul (the cute one), but my older sister snatched up that role. However, given that John was the leader, I was very satisfied to portray him.

We would lip-sync the songs from our collection of Beatles 45's or LP's from their early years--songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night, Please Please Me, I Should Have Known Better, and Can't Buy Me Love. We used badminton racquets for guitars and wore these incredibly tacky Beatles wigs. We loved to put on shows for any audience we could find, and once we even charged admission to the other kids in the neighborhood as we did our little show in the garage. That was the time we also served refreshments from our cotton candy machine and the other two Beatles' snow cone machine. During intermission we entertained the "crowd" with our Give-a-Show Projector. A good time was had by all.
Christine
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:51:43 AM

grammargeek wrote:
When my sister and I were kids, we used to love to get together with either our two neighbor friends or our two cousins and pretend to be the Beatles. I was always John. I think I secretly always wanted to be Paul (the cute one), but my older sister snatched up that role. However, given that John was the leader, I was very satisfied to portray him.

We would lip-sync the songs from our collection of Beatles 45's or LP's from their early years--songs like I Want to Hold Your Hand, A Hard Day's Night, Please Please Me, I Should Have Known Better, and Can't Buy Me Love. We used badminton racquets for guitars and wore these incredibly tacky Beatles wigs. We loved to put on shows for any audience we could find, and once we even charged admission to the other kids in the neighborhood as we did our little show in the garage. That was the time we also served refreshments from our cotton candy machine and the other two Beatles' snow cone machine. During intermission we entertained the "crowd" with our Give-a-Show Projector. A good time was had by all.

Wonderful! You have any movies? I love the 'guitars'!Applause
Yorker
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 5:05:08 PM

Neurons: 2,084
grammargeek wrote

My favourite Beatles songs were: Michelle ma belle, Yesterday and Here comes the sun.

My eldest sister went to see them (I say see, because she couldn't hear them)in Manchester and managed to get their autographs. We also gave little concerts and would lip-sync the songs from their latest LP, but it was for my parents, who I'm sure collapsed with laughter later. With tennis raquets as guitars wearing those very tacky beatle wigs we would "do our stuff." I was also the youngest daughter so didn't have much of a choice over who I should be, I thought Paul rather dishy but I wasn't allowed to be Paul, I had to be Ringo the drummer, we only had two tennis raquets.

George I love, I have the Traveling Wilburys cd in my car and play it often, it cheers me up.
risadr
Posted: Sunday, January 3, 2010 1:40:04 PM

Neurons: 3,545
My Beatles are John and George. For their abilities as songwriters, for their political and activist standpoints, and for what they represented (in my mind, anyway) about what a "man" should be.

I don't think that I could choose a favorite song if someone had a gun to my head. My mother used to call me "leftover sixties garbage" for a reason. She was never much a fan of the Beatles, but she told me that she could understand why I liked them, because their sound is "right up my alley."

My two-year-old daughter knows the words to probably five or six Beatles songs and she recognizes far more than that. I must be doing something right...
Drew
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:59:26 PM

Neurons: 4,487
risadr wrote:
My Beatles are John and George. For their abilities as songwriters, for their political and activist standpoints, and for what they represented

I totally agree with your reasoning. I go back and forth between George and John being my favorite, although I tend to favor underdogs, so I often lean toward George more often than not. I've always felt that George was tremendously underrated musician, and, not to take anything away from the Lennon/McCartney songwriting duo, but some of my absolute favorite Beatles tunes were penned by George. Also, for what it's worth, I think George's All Things Must Pass is probably the best post-Beatles solo album.
rluna
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 3:21:41 PM

Neurons: 570
John. If only we could have all dreamed his dreams.
nooblet
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 5:05:41 PM

Neurons: 4,778
John Lennon. Of actual Beatles song, I think that "Blackbird" is my favorite. "Imagine" is probably my favorite song that John Lennon ever wrote, though.
Barbara
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 7:59:33 AM

Neurons: 27
"No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low.
That is you can't you know tune in but it's all right.
That is I think it's not too bad.

Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields.
Nothing is real and nothing to get hung about.
Strawberry Fields forever.

Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out.
It doesn't matter much to me."

This is poetry,this is art, it is not a simple successfull rock'n'roll song for its psichedelic and innovative soundings. That's why i love John, he cuold express and transmit his mood through everything he did
Kat
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:40:55 AM

Neurons: 3,389
John Lennon...he had a great nose.
pedro
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 8:51:01 AM

Neurons: 63,022
unfortunately the most talented Beatles and also the most talented Rolling Stone happen to be dead- John Lennon wrote more memorable songs. Apart from 'Strawberry Fields' there are more aggressive ones like 'Instant Karma' and 'Revolution', quirky songs about old girlfriends such as 'Norwegian Wood' and 'She Said' and some delightfully tender ones such as 'Love 'from solo days along with the handful he wrote with Paul. I have to say that 'Imagine' is my least favourite of his though I'm afraid.
Galad
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:04:36 PM

Neurons: 10,532

Why Herbie of course, because he always outwitted the bad guys....

[image not available]

Anthony57
Posted: Thursday, January 7, 2010 1:36:11 PM

Neurons: 152
I would bore all of you if I got into this topic but to answer the question; my favorite Beatle is John. If he would allow me to take the liberty to speak for him; Dr. O’Boggie, for talent reasons, would state that his favorite Beatle was George.

Drew and risadr state very good reasons why John and George are/were better than Paul and Ringo.

Paulie never developed over the years. Yes, he’s had hits but because he is Paul. His work doesn’t come close to John’s and George's in comparison of music and words/lyrics. As the good doctor stated in a song “The sound you (Paul) is muzak to my ears.”

Richie was never given or wanted the chance to develop musically but then again he only wanted enough money to open his own hair dressing shop in Liverpool.
TL Hobs
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 5:12:32 PM

Neurons: 6,101
Paul's contribution was his great bass guitar. Try to imagine Come Together without his bass line. It wouldn't be the same. Like I said before, I liked them better as a group than as individuals. They each had their own strengths to add. Collectively, it was highly synergistic music.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 5:17:22 PM

Neurons: 2,132
Galad wrote:

[image not available]

Now there's a beatle I can get along with!
The Saurus
Posted: Friday, January 8, 2010 5:48:45 PM

Neurons: 762
No love for Yoko in this thread?
Kat
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:15:44 PM

Neurons: 3,389
The Saurus wrote:

Yoko-shmoko
The question was, "Who was your favorite Beatle?"
aerial
Posted: Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:40:33 PM

Neurons: 192
George

It's stupid but when I was a teenage girl I found him best looking of them all. As far as the songs are concerned, I like it better when Paul is the vocalist.
risadr
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2010 9:03:34 AM

Neurons: 3,545
nooblet wrote:
John Lennon. Of actual Beatles song, I think that "Blackbird" is my favorite. "Imagine" is probably my favorite song that John Lennon ever wrote, though.

"Blackbird" is one of my favorite songs of all time. Beatles or not. Period, the end.

The Saurus wrote:

None from me, anyway. As much as I respect her as an artist, she did end up causing the break up of The Beatles (though many feel that's where they were headed before she came into the picture, anyway), and as much as I love John Lennon's work as a solo artist, it is my opinion that his best songwriting came when he was writing and playing with The Beatles.

Galad wrote:

[image not available]

Wrong kind of Beetle, Galad, though I appreciate the pun. Applause