mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Jersey Shore Shark Attacks of 1916 Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,379
Jersey Shore Shark Attacks of 1916

In the summer of 1916, thousands flocked to the New Jersey shore to seek relief from the polio epidemic and severe heat wave plaguing the northeastern US. As WWI raged in Europe, the vacationers watched for German U-boats that were reportedly maneuvering off the coast, but they were unaware of a different danger lurking beneath the water's surface—sharks. Between July 1 and July 12, sharks attacked 5 people along the Jersey coast, killing 4. What are some theories about why the attacks occurred? More...
MiTziGo
Posted: Friday, January 1, 2010 11:34:42 AM

Neurons: 6,142
You would think the thing I'd be most afraid of in the ocean is sharks, but no, it is seaweed. It is not that I have a fear of seaweed per se, it is just that every time some brushes against me I imagine a slimy ocean creature is about to bite or sting me and I shriek. I much prefer pools.
sandraleesmith46
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:07:10 AM

Neurons: 2,132
I've been swimming along that same portion of the Jersey shore, as well as Jones' beach and several others less well known on Long Island, and never ran into sharks while doing so, but I also remember the annual mako shark hunts along LI beaches in September, and a few instances of beaches being closed due to Man-o'-War infestations temporarily, and the shark watchers along beaches, when I was a kid. I haven't lived near an ocean for decades, now. But the particular shark in question responsible for those attacks was most likely a bull shark, and it is a rarity in those waters apparently. The next spate of attacks by sharks in that area at all was in this past decade, almost a century later. We humans are probably more responsible for attacks than the sharks, however. We're the ones invading their domain, when we venture into the oceans, and in some cases rivers, so not expecting an occasional attack is foolish. And diminishing their food supplies probably isn't too smart either...
Yorker
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 8:11:07 AM

Neurons: 2,084
It may have been the Gulf Stream moving further north up the coast from Mexico bringing the warmer weather and the sharks from further south. I do remember being told the Gulf Stream narrows to around 50 miles close to the Mexican coast. Also in 1916 there were many hurricanes in the summer which might have been a contributing factor as the sharks would hug the coast staying in calmer waters.
nxt_annawintour
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:51:15 PM

Neurons: 135
My biggest problem with the Jersey Shore is crabs. Almost every time I go on family vacation, I end up standing in the ocean with one hanging off of my big toe!