mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Cleaning your keyboard Options
Geeman
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:13:28 PM

Neurons: 125,022
Apparently keyboards are covered in bacteria and germs. It seems like nobody ever cleans their keyboards... but any number of hands can touch them, especially for computers at the office or in a computer lab someplace. I occasionally aerosol out my keyboard and wipe it down with one of those "computer cleaners" that is mostly alcohol, but I admit I do it all too rarely.

What do you guys do to keep your keyboards clean?
Raparee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:16:34 PM

Neurons: 18,102
I periodically turn my keyboard over and try to shake out any sort of loose debris that's found its way inside (the amount of which can be truly remarkable). I do periodically wipe down my keyboard with a topical abt sanitizer, either when it's starting to look grimy or I've been particularly unwell or the office has the crud going around. But I wouldn't say it's a frequent event.
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:23:25 PM

Neurons: 4,778
I use disinfectant wipes, compressed air, and I sometimes remove the keys when compressed air seems to not be doing enough. I usually clean my keyboard once every few months.
NinjaMonkee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:24:00 PM

Neurons: 768
My keyboards at work are disgusting. My co-workers and I rotate work areas everyday and everyday I have to use the compressed air to blow it out and then wipe them down with disinfectent. I have a good team to work with though, so I don't complain.(unless they were sick!)
AJC
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:35:40 PM

Neurons: 2,436
I wear blue rubber gloves. Someone asked me why I was wearing them. I told her it's because the yellow Rubbermaid gloves are too thick.
The Saurus
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:44:27 PM

Neurons: 762
I don't clean mine so much as when nobody's looking I sneak around and make everyone else's dirtier so mine's better by comparison.
uuaschbaer
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:03:37 PM

Neurons: 6,180
I don't clean mine because I doubt they carry dangerous strains of bacteria. I suppose keyboards are a bit like hands that haven't been washed for a long time because a celebrity shook it. Bad, but not as bad as, say, public toilet doorhandles at a money exchange point in a hospital.
pkeadle
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:58:22 PM

Neurons: 427
I know from experience that alcohol will take the shine off the keys. I'd rather use a damp cloth with a tad of liquid soap. Then dry with compressed air.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:03:08 PM

Neurons: 7,777
Geeman wrote:
Apparently keyboards are covered in bacteria and germs. It seems like nobody ever cleans their keyboards... but any number of hands can touch them, especially for computers at the office or in a computer lab someplace. I occasionally aerosol out my keyboard and wipe it down with one of those "computer cleaners" that is mostly alcohol, but I admit I do it all too rarely.

What do you guys do to keep your keyboards clean?

Nothing. There is a lot of dirt only. I don't see any bacteria??!! Anxious
Christine
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 11:16:51 PM

Neurons: 15,842
My home computer I put covers on both the keyboard and the screen. I never eat at my computer. Twice in a while I wipe with disinfectant pop-up wipes.
LeadPal
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 1:28:36 AM

Neurons: 1,413
I'm the only person who uses my keyboard, so I don't usually worry about it.
Civambiha S
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:15:58 AM

Neurons: 3
I clean my key board once in a week using a painting brush...
supernules
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:33:20 AM

Neurons: 3
I don't beleive you guys!
All those entries about cleaning keyboards!
It was fun though, but sad, very sad (me included!)
26letters
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:02:07 AM

Neurons: 2,050
I think it's time they added a crumb-tray to keyboards - like a toaster has. Then you can just flip it open and dump the crumbs.

Unfortunately, too many at my house eat while at the computer. One of these days I might just open up the keyboard and find a full-course meal in there. (I won't have to cook for a week!) I figured I'll clean the inside when we get to the point that the keys will no longer depress.

There are times when I'm going nuts using the hand-vac and will vacuum every little thing, including plants, telephones, cats, etc. and I'll get the notion to vacuum the keyboard. But I don't take the time to turn the computer off first. Vacuuming a keyboard while the computer is still on adds an element of excitement to my life. (Having a cat walk on the keyboard has the same effect.) d'oh!
Gwen
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:50:10 AM

Neurons: 689
I hardly ever clean my keybored. But when I do, I just spray all the crap out of it with compressed air.
Ellenrita
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2010 6:09:03 PM

Neurons: 3,889
supernules wrote:
I don't beleive you guys!
All those entries about cleaning keyboards!
It was fun though, but sad, very sad (me included!)

My computer told me it needed cleaning when certain crudded under keys would not depress.
e_n_w
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:46:58 AM

Neurons: 21
I have started cleaning mine quite recently... Normally I just hoover it.
RuthP
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 12:44:16 PM

Neurons: 87,618
uuaschbaer wrote:
I don't clean mine because I doubt they carry dangerous strains of bacteria. I suppose keyboards are a bit like hands that haven't been washed for a long time because a celebrity shook it. Bad, but not as bad as, say, public toilet doorhandles at a money exchange point in a hospital.

Sorry to disappoint:
Managing Infection Control: Nursing and patient care; computer keyboards (PDF)

CDC: Guidelines for hospital sterilization and disinfection includes keyboards

Chicago Journals; Clinical Infectious Diseases: Keyboards as reservoir for A. baumannii
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:56:41 PM

Neurons: 656,139
Ruth, do you have further knowledge on what specific key this bacteria likes to hang about? Space bar, Enter key?
26letters
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:39:07 PM

Neurons: 2,050
Jyrkkä Jätkä Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:56:41 PM
Ruth, do you have further knowledge on what specific key this bacteria likes to hang about? Space bar, Enter key?

26letterswrites:Justincaseit'sthespacebar,I'mnotgoingtotouchitanymore.
maverickwoman
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:01:25 PM

Neurons: 352
Did you consider cleaning it up with a couple of cotton swap Geeman?İt works! Firstly I get the little particules by vacuum cleaner-I cannot stop eating cips or pop corn when I use my computer Eh? -after that I complete the job with some cologne and cotton swap .I think you should try it,it worths.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:27:06 PM

Neurons: 7,777
maverickwoman wrote:
Did you consider cleaning it up with a couple of cotton swap Geeman?İt works! Firstly I get the little particules by vacuum cleaner-I cannot stop eating cips or pop corn when I use my computer Eh? -after that I complete the job with some cologne and cotton swap .I think you should try it,it worths.

Did you mean cotton swab?
maverickwoman
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:07:47 PM

Neurons: 352
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
maverickwoman wrote:

Did you mean cotton swab?

I am sorry for the wrong letter, yeah cotton swab....
RuthP
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 10:04:41 AM

Neurons: 87,618
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:

To quote Romany, *snerk* - doubtless, either "A" or "b"
Vickster
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 11:52:30 AM

Neurons: 7,211
lol... the only time I clean this keyboard is when everyone at work is sick.. I should do it all the time, but I don't... I can't imagine what nasty germs are on this... ok... I'm gonna stop typing and clean ....lol Sick
uuaschbaer
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2010 5:13:44 PM

Neurons: 6,180
RuthP wrote:
uuaschbaer wrote:

Sorry to disappoint:
Managing Infection Control: Nursing and patient care; computer keyboards (PDF)

CDC: Guidelines for hospital sterilization and disinfection includes keyboards

Chicago Journals; Clinical Infectious Diseases: Keyboards as reservoir for A. baumannii

Well yes but that's in hospitals, I wouldn't dare touching a keyboard in a hospital. I don't know how dangerous my own keyboard is but I can't imagine that it is just as dangerous as one in a hospital; I haven't gotten gangrene from it so far, for instance. The thing is: if it lives on my keyboard and not on its surroundings, it must have come there by my hands. Therefore: the cleaner my hands, the cleaner my keyboard.
Joneswilliamsc
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:53:20 AM

Neurons: 12
Well there have not been mentioned from the beginning that you are talking about home computer or talking about office computers. Because at office there may be lot of computers so no one can keep the care of their keyboards that happens in our office. But I think you are talking about home computer than I always care for it. I clean at every week by Dettol. I always cover it with covers when it is not in use.
TL Hobs
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:04:36 PM

Neurons: 6,146
I don't clean my keyboard, either. It has a nice patina of dirt on the keys, except for the ones that get hit the most often. Nobody else uses my keyboard at work. I wash my hands several times a day and do not pick my nose. The germs on the keyboard hasn't made me sick, yet. I suppose I have developed some natural antibodies from prolonged exposure that keep me safe.

What I don't like is when people insist on touching the monitor screen with their dirty fingers. I have a Post-It note on mine that says, "Please, stick your finger way up your nose before touching the screen. I do."
oxymoron
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:59:26 PM

Neurons: 845
I hoover keys and wash screen with 4:1 holy water/vinegar mix; polish with pressurised Tibetan sherpa's breath.
gradyone
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 1:52:52 AM

Neurons: 12,277
oxymoron wrote:
I hoover keys and wash screen with 4:1 holy water/vinegar mix; polish with pressurised Tibetan sherpa's breath.

My keyboard is protected by a repellent force field that allows
only my fingers to touch the keys. Dirt, food particles, bacteria and
other single-celled critters are denied access to it.
I picked it up a few years ago at a Star Trek convention.