The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Harry Truman Becomes 33rd President of the US (1945) Options
Daemon
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,629
Harry Truman Becomes 33rd President of the US (1945)

Truman was the 33rd president of the US. He is remembered for authorizing the use of atomic bombs against Japan and for his opposition to Communism. A Democrat who largely accepted the New Deal tradition, he presided over victory in World War II and the Marshall Plan to rebuild Europe. His administration also oversaw the beginning of the Cold War and the desegregation of the US armed forces. What famous headline ran in the Chicago Tribune the day after Truman won his second term? More...
kenturner1
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 6:43:19 AM

Neurons: 11,475
Great article. I've always admired Truman. He appeared to be an ordinary man in an extraordinary position. I like his stances on Israel and desegregating the Military. And compared to the pensions and benefits of today's former Presidents, Congress and Senators, he left and lived out a humble, meager existence. Bombing Japan was a necessary evil to save American blood and treasure. The Korean war and firing MacArthur were questionable to poorly thought out decisions and sparing the Puerto Rican that tried to assassinate him diminished the White House police officer's life. Just my opinion. Interesting about the White House remodel too. I wish they would've included the famous picture of Harry driving with Bess.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 8:52:56 AM

Neurons: 170,308
The defining image of the campaign came after Election Day, when an ecstatic Truman held aloft the erroneous front page of the Chicago Tribune with a huge headline proclaiming "Dewey Defeats Truman."
monamagda
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 10:03:29 AM

Neurons: 6,213,886
"So that there can be no possible misunderstanding, both Germany and Japan can be certain, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that America will continue the fight for freedom until no vestige of resistance remains!"
(Harry S. Truman in his April 16, 1945, address before Congress following the death of Franklin D. Roosevelt.)

When Harry S. Truman assumed the Presidency on April 12, 1945, victory in World War II was close, but not at hand. Key events over the next five months included the surrender of Germany, the Potsdam Conference of the Big Three Allies, the decision to drop the Atomic Bomb, and the surrender of Japan and conclusion of the war.
GreenBanana
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 1:11:39 PM

Neurons: 20,818
He looks like the guy who played KITT.
Marguerite
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 11:13:51 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Truman was no great, just a slimy politican. He was responsbile for the Cold War that diverted millions of dollars from education to fight what-communism-and made the world an unsafe place.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, April 13, 2014 5:58:55 AM

Neurons: 22,062
When President Truman left office, I hear, he did not have enough money to live decently. So Congress started the practice of granting a pension to former presidents.

I am sure that President Truman would be astonished by how the presidents are treated today -- like kings.

People forget that the writers of the Constitution intended Congress to be the most powerful branch of government. They did not want the executive branch to become so dominant -- as it is today.

Personally, I wish that we had a parliamentary form of government.