mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Optimism May Be Good for Your Waistline Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,622
Optimism May Be Good for Your Waistline

Women who see the glass as half full may find it easier to stick to healthy eating habits than glass-half-empty types. In a recent study, women who measured highest on a scale of optimism made the greatest strides in improving their diets. Those who were lowest on the scale also tended to have less healthy diets to begin with than those with more positive outlooks. Researchers believe it is not so much the women's outlook at play as it is the skills that tend to go hand-in-hand with optimism, like self-regulation and positive coping skills. More...
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 8:17:33 AM

Neurons: 34,034
What a load of claptrap.
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 9:23:57 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Haz, I didn't find the article to be a "load of claptrap" and I don't buy or read self-help books. For there is a lot to say for coping skills. One of the biggest breakthroughs I have personally experienced is the simple solution to not eating unhealthy food, such as potato chips that I simply love, is not having any in the house. I found taking a walk far more enjoy with an ipod. Listening to music makes that hour walk seem like minutes. But the most important element in the article is having friends, or even so little as one good friend to talk through things that are causing you pause which can help brighten your outlook.
I don't have a weight problem but I transfer the knowledge and tips over to my area of concern. I like the article.
GreenBanana
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:27:48 AM

Neurons: 20,818
That's solipsism. Therefore, it is "claptrap".
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:32:44 AM

Neurons: 6,641,701
I think that optimism is the faith that leads us to success. Nothing without hope and confidence is achieved. Optimism is the power for perseverance.
People do not lose weight because of lack of perseverance......
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 1:08:07 PM

Neurons: 34,034
Marguerite and monamagda please forgive any insult or upset I may have caused you. It was not intentional and I do admire your 'optimism'.

But I have to deal with an optimistic sibling who (though I truly love and respect her) gets on my nerves like you could never understand.

I am as skinny as a rake, my sibling does have to watch her weight. My wonderful sister, unfortunately to me, is solely led by media and news reports and whatever is being foistered upon the general public by the manipulators.

It is good to be optimistic about you, your life, yourself. It is good to be confident and hopeful about your experience and outlook of the world.

Unfortunately I have met too many optimistic people, including my sister, who never question. They just follow and are optimistic for the best. In my opinion this just is not enough, sometimes (in most cases) action by the optimistic person has to be taken to actually achieve the result they want.

My sister was optimistic that she would stay employed after 20 years of loyal work. Her employment ends in less than 12 months and NOW she and her colleagues take action. I can only shake my head in despair.

From my understanding, large people are waiting for some 'wonder drug' that will lose the weight they want to lose whilst allowing them to carry on living an 'unnatural' lifestyle that caused the problem in the first place.

Many large people are that way because they are not living the life they should be living, they are not fulfilling their dream(s). It is but a single manifestation created within our societies due to this sole factor.

I can't put weight on if I try... lucky me you may say. Not really. I still have to ensure I eat well and exercise to maintain my health.... and men appear, in the main, to like women with hips and breasts!!

Strength comes from within and it is sad that so many of us depend on our appearance to get us through life. I don't worry about not having large enough breasts (and risking my life filling them with silicon !!!!!) or being the right skin colour. I know who I am, what I am capable of and 'hope' that the world will turn around one day. I 'hope' that the human race will all get together, before they are forced to, and reach the greatness we should be achieving.

I'm pessimistic because without 'action' I just can't see this happening.

I think I'll stay with 'hopeful' hope with a bucket-load of pessimism mixed in.!

I'm trying to get my head around 'solipsism' GreenBanana as I may be a bit partial to that myself.!

kenturner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 9, 2014 5:38:51 PM

Neurons: 11,475
I guess it's a state of mind, positive reassurance and such. It has to be better than being a pessimist.