The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Betty Ford (1918) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,438
Betty Ford (1918)

Betty Ford, born Elizabeth Anne Bloomer, supported herself as a dancer and model before marrying congressional hopeful Gerald Ford—later to be the 38th president of the US. An unusually candid first lady, she spoke openly about drugs, premarital sex, abortion, and women's rights. In 1978, she sought treatment for alcoholism and drug addiction and later established the Betty Ford Center for the treatment of chemical dependency. What prompted critics to call for the first lady's "resignation"? More...
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 8:01:35 AM

Neurons: 6,389,835
“Betty: A Glad Awakening” (1987), the second volume of her autobiography.
She wrote about her dependency on pills that began in 1964 with a medical prescription to relieve constant pain from a neck injury and a pinched nerve:
“Now I know that some of the pain I was trying to wipe out was emotional...”

A remarkable woman, and she also was a professional dancer, teacher of dance, model, department store fashion coordinator........
curmudgeonine
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 10:16:28 AM

Neurons: 170,308
She was open about the benefits of psychiatric treatment, and spoke understandingly about marijuana use and premarital sex, and as a new First Lady pointedly stated during a televised White House tour that she and the President shared the same bed. After Ford appeared on 60 Minutes in a characteristically candid interview in which she discussed how she would counsel her daughter if she was having an affair, saying that she "would not be surprised,"[18] and the possibility that her children may have experimented with marijuana. Some conservatives called her "No Lady" and even demanded her "resignation", but her overall approval rating was at seventy-five percent. As she later said, during her husband's failed 1976 presidential campaign, "I would give my life to have Jerry have my poll numbers."
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:07:16 PM

Neurons: 23,973
After Eleanor, we didn't have a first lady worth her salt until Betty Ford. Since then we've have nothing but nonentities occupying the White House. Can you imagine Laura, Barbara or Michele speaking frankly about anything, excepting what extradordinary men they married. Betty is the most candid first ladies in history, commenting on every hot-button issue of the time, including feminism, equal pay, the ERA, sex, drugs, abortion, and gun control. She also raised awareness of addiction when she announced her long-running battle with alcoholism in the 1970s.
That is the kind of woman I require as a role model.
Haz
Posted: Tuesday, April 8, 2014 3:56:45 PM

Neurons: 34,034
All our leaders are now just mouthpieces for the corporations and multi-nationals. They have no ideas of their own. If they did they wouldn't get into power.
kenturner1
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 7:04:31 AM

Neurons: 11,475
Great take Marguerite.