mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
So wise so young, they say, do never live long. Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,406
So wise so young, they say, do never live long.

William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Carmelo
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 6:35:32 AM

Neurons: 750
So wise so young, they say, do never live long.

Dear Daemon,
it might be better for a few of us to have a few more words quoted. The first question is what does that mean here in the USA, not in England? To some of us the context is most important for we don't like to sound like noisy gongs. These same people appreciate your consideration.Think
LadyRose
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 8:09:40 AM

Neurons: 84
It is from "Richard III", the play about a man who murders one of his brothers on the way to becoming king. He has been made guardian of his (dead) older brother's sons, who are heirs to the throne. He plots to kill them, too, so in this scene he tells them that they will reside in the Tower until the coronation of the older one of them. He, the Prince of Wales, does not like this idea, but agrees, and then Richard says these words as an aside.Of course, he usurps the crown for himself and kills the two princes.

What do these words tell us in general ? You shouldn't be too smart at an early age. People don't like other people outdoing them in every field, particularly intellectually, and particularly adults don't like youngsters to be better than they are. It could become dangerous, if intelligence is not based on life experience and knowledge of people's minds. The young genius may be seen as a threat and the more powerful adult might crush him to pieces.

The truly intelligent youngster learns when to shut up and watch and learn.
The truly great adult appreciates gifted young people, carefully guides them and helps them to survive.

susanstar1234
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:02:45 AM

Neurons: 230
It is the poetry of William Shakespeare that makes you see love. Maybe he, inversely means, that you should live you life to the fullest and that people could get full of it.
LadyRose
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 9:15:28 AM

It's the plays of Shakespeare that show you man's (=human) nature.
ardii
Posted: Sunday, December 27, 2009 3:29:36 PM

Neurons: 447
Re: LadyRose...thanks for your ref to Richard III

So in a more brutish, less enlightened age, like the medieval times and even now, being too wise at a young age within a power hierarchy means that the more powerful will want to snuff it out, not necessarily that the very wise youth will never live long.
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:52:27 PM

Neurons: 4,678
This sounds to me like an omen, a dark foreshadowing, an ominous black cloud about to burst upon the heads of the two princes...The older I grow the more I love Shakespeare.
LadyRose
Posted: Saturday, January 2, 2010 4:48:42 AM

I can relate to that. Once you manage to understand the language and concentrate on the stories he tells, you realize that he describes people that we all know. Maybe they don't actually kill to get their aims, but ambition can drive you far.
Hupomone
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:42:26 AM

Neurons: 1,431
Context: Billy and I were eight when he said this. We were comparing Easter basket contents, and he made this jest as he bit the head off of a chocolate bunny. I laughed as I bit the tail off of mine.

"You should be a playwright, Billy," I said.

"I'm going to be a shortstop," he asserted, "like Yogi Berra."

Both of us drizzled.
DHeavyOne
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:49:59 AM

Neurons: 378
LadyRose wrote:
It is from "Richard III", the play about a man.....them and helps them to survive.

Thank you for the grade 6 english lesson LadyRose..........I'm pretty sure most of us know from whence it came, as well having our own intentions for it's meaning..........but it's nice that you care enough to explain.

By the way, if any of you need Shakespeare explained, then you're probably in the wrong discussion group.......or I am.

....but then again, I'm only guessssssssing!
susanstar1234
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:49:39 AM

Neurons: 230
It is wise and the wiser with age, that's true that gain experience in life to outlive what once was young. Madison wrote slander against me. I did not "succumb to peer pressure". It was wrongly written. What was right, was the fact that they started Physical Training in the morning and were waiving their arms. So, I believed they told me to do it. Then, they said to bring me my profile. I showed them, and did not continue to do anything against the British Doctor.
jagxk
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:21:46 AM

Neurons: 2,464
My grandmother use to say, "Don't be too smart for your britches or you will get yourself in trouble".
Barbara
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 12:00:56 PM

Neurons: 27
Contextualization is always good. It helps in focusing our attention on aspects we wouldn't have thought about. Expecially LadyRose wrote that to support her elaboration, it was necessary an introduction to link what she was trying to say.

That's why i love W.S., he's describing mankind,not simple stereotypes like Aristotelian tradition did,he wrote about attitudes that are common to every human being on earth. Everyone would like to tend to perfection,youth and wisdom: everyone's dream, especially if forever. This involves a large list of topics: revenge, gealousy, passion, naivete, cunning,power, deception,death,and lots more.. Another reason for wich no one will write like him is his cut:he starts from the detail to reach the whole, and such harmonically.

Even if nowadays wisdom is not particurlary recherchèe, surely youth is still one of the most desired aspiration,and a lot more achievable than ever, with our fashionable make-up musk all over the face every single day, and with fake accultured smiles all around us showing us the brutality of reality .

ps= You're probably in the wrong discussion if you judge one's comment without even judge the quotation. Oh pardon, it's true, you're the heavy one ! Boo hoo!
DHeavyOne
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:06:26 PM

susanstar1234 wrote:
It is wise and the wiser with age, that's true that gain experience in life to outlive what once was young. Madison wrote slander against me. I did not "succumb to peer pressure". It was wrongly written. What was right, was the fact that they started Physical Training in the morning and were waiving their arms. So, I believed they told me to do it. Then, they said to bring me my profile. I showed them, and did not continue to do anything against the British Doctor.

Very interesting, Susan, to answer a quote with another quote.....an unusual way to analogize.

Much nicer than to see cliche after cliche after cliche after cliche, as so often happens when the mean employs the tool of the dim-witted.
DHeavyOne
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 1:07:36 PM

jagxk wrote:
My grandmother use to say, "Don't be too smart for your britches or you will get yourself in trouble".

That's hilarious.....mine used to say,"......commando, or NO GO!"

(my attempt at humour)
LadyRose
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:52:32 PM

DHeavyOne wrote:
LadyRose wrote:
It is from "Richard III", the play about a man.....them and helps them to survive.

Thank you for the grade 6 english lesson LadyRose..........I'm pretty sure most of us know from whence it came, as well having our own intentions for it's meaning..........but it's nice that you care enough to explain.

By the way, if any of you need Shakespeare explained, then you're probably in the wrong discussion group.......or I am.

Do I detect a trace of sarcasm here? I am sorry if I did not hit the correct intellectual level, but I am not a native speaker, I didn't go to school in an English speaking country and I don't know when you study Shakespeare plays. Someone asked about the context and as I happened to know, I tried to be of help.

By the way, I thought this thread was about discussing a quote and its (!) meaning and one way to get to the meaning can be to have a look at the context.
Gwen
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 6:32:28 PM

Neurons: 689
LadyRose wrote:
DHeavyOne wrote:
LadyRose wrote:

Do I detect a trace of sarcasm here? I am sorry if I did not hit the correct intellectual level, but I am not a native speaker, I didn't go to school in an English speaking country and I don't know when you study Shakespeare plays. Someone asked about the context and as I happened to know, I tried to be of help.

By the way, I thought this thread was about discussing a quote and its (!) meaning and one way to get to the meaning can be to have a look at the context.

Its alright LadyRose, I'm growing up in the US (I'm still a teenager Dancing ) and I love Shakespeare, but sometimes I dont understand him. Not everybody can understand Shakespeare ... I'm guessin thats how he writes. idk. Nevertheless, ur right about this forum/thread being where we discuss the quote and not put anyone down for not getting it.
nooblet
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 7:08:41 PM

Neurons: 4,778
LadyRose, I appreciate the context and background for the quote that you provided. It's been about a decade since I last read Shakespeare, so I wouldn't have remembered which play it had come from without your posts.

Also, I find your interpretation of the quote to be perfectly acceptable; it's quite similar to how I interpret the quote.

I'm not sure why DHeavyOne decided to attack your posts. The only possible thing I can think of is that he may have felt you were trying to force your interpretation on others instead of simply sharing it. I did not feel that you were preaching.
DHeavyOne
Posted: Tuesday, January 5, 2010 10:17:35 PM

Wow, did I sound that harsh? I was IN NO WAY attacking LadyRose; nor was I questioning her analysis of Willy's poetry......I was simply reliving my Shakespeare days, from public school, as I've been reading Shakespears since aged 8, and travelling to The Avalon Theatre to watch since my teen's......

The "most of us" mentioned was inclusive of our Lady and I was merely giving a subtle compliment to others here for being able to develop and understanding of Shakespeare, nevermind being able to formulate and educated opinion of his work......and the thanks were genuinely given for taking your time to share YOUR grasp on him; it was NOT sarcasm.....if I use sarcasm, I promise you'll feel you need a band-aid.......that's a joke......

The after thought may have been unnecessary, and also too subtle, but I was seriously stating that the level of intellect I frequently observe Here is warming.....far beyond the need for Shakespearean explanation, unless you need a sleeping aid!

My humour is very dry....at times caustic.....but certainly not malicious. I will not apologize for presenting it in the way I have, however I will apologize to our Lady if she has taken any personal offence to it, as NONE was EVER intended toward such an obvkously gentle and thoughtful soul.....the rest of you can get over it.......it's too bad you didn't get it.

If you've got anymore to say, email me, directly.
LadyRose
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 2:58:57 PM

DHeavyOne - it is a pity that in written messages one cannot hear if something is meant to be sarcastic, slightly ironic, joking or serious, so I am sorry that I misunderstood you.

Actually, I didn't feel very much "attacked", but the "grade 6 English lesson" in this context did not go down as particularly amiable, either.

On the other hand, I do have a tendency to lecture and bore people to tears with it - in other words, no hard feelings from my side - it was a misunderstanding, so let's shake hands and make up ?!?
nooblet
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2010 3:43:57 PM

Neurons: 4,778
My mistake, I apologize for my misinterpretation.