mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Makeup: From Kohl to Cosmeceuticals Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 98,790
Makeup: From Kohl to Cosmeceuticals

Cosmetics have been used for millennia to simulate or enhance the appearance of youthfulness, health, and beauty—eye makeup and scented creams were used by the ancient Egyptians as early as the 4th millennium BCE—but they have not always been viewed favorably. In the 19th century, for example, Queen Victoria publicly declared the use of makeup by anyone other than actors to be improper and vulgar. Today, however, the cosmetics industry is thriving. How much is spent on cosmetics each year? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:32:19 AM

Neurons: 170,308
Far too much is spent on cosmetics each year.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:32:23 AM

Neurons: 170,308
Far too much is spent on cosmetics each year.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 12:50:58 PM

Neurons: 7,191,559
Cosmetics are products you apply to your body to clean it, make it more attractive, or change the way it looks. They include

Hair dyes
Makeup
Perfumes
Skin-care creams
Cosmetics that treat or prevent diseases are also drugs. Products such as dandruff shampoo, fluoride toothpaste, and antiperspirant deodorant are both cosmetics and drugs. A good way to tell if you're buying a cosmetic that is also a drug is to see if the first ingredient listed is an "active ingredient." The active ingredient is the chemical that makes the product effective. The manufacturer must have proof that it's safe for its intended use.

Cosmetics can cause allergic reactions. The first sign is often red and irritated skin. Fragrances and preservatives are the most common causes of skin problems.

To find out all the ingredients in a cosmetic you use, check the container. Manufacturers are required to list them. Labels such as "natural" and "hypoallergenic" have no official meaning. Companies can use them to mean whatever they want.

Food and Drug Administration
Haz
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:52:31 PM

Neurons: 34,034
The worldwide cosmetics and perfume industry currently generates an estimated annual turnover of US$170 billion (according to Eurostaf - May 2007).

The amount of money spent on make-up is an absolute disgrace and the cosmetics industry have got men buying the stuff now. Amazing and sad that people are not happy with the way they look and try to disguise themselves.

I'd rather spend my money on food!
Marguerite
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 4:40:43 PM

Neurons: 23,973
What is makeup's pull that so much money is wasted on it? It must have something to do with the fountain of youth and the desire to attract the stronger sex.
zellij
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:17:52 PM

Neurons: 47,178
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
kenturner1
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 5:18:17 PM

Neurons: 11,475
There's nothing wrong with purchasing and wearing makeup. It accentuates positives, covers blemishes and aides in appearance and beauty thus enhancing confidence and self esteem. It's all subjective; there are worse things on which to waste money. At least there's a return on investment.
Haz
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 7:12:22 PM

Neurons: 34,034
I haven't worn make-up for 30 years and men don't care less. I still get approached by men far younger than myself. They are grateful if a woman smiles at them or speaks to them. If a woman shows confidence, make-up or otherwise, men appear to be happy.

When I was young my father would be livid if I ever wore make-up. He had the mind-set of the olden days when it was considered only 'loose' women would wear such stuff.

There are worse things to spend money on for sure but it's sad people can't be comfortable in their own skin. Some women I know would not even allow their boyfriends to see them without make-up!!!!!!

Marquerite I don't know why you have stated that men are 'the stronger sex'. Surely you are jesting?!?
Marguerite
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 11:40:08 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Haz, I have yet to best a man in any sport or physical activity.