mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
"Teflon Don" Hit with Charges that Finally Stick (1992) Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
"Teflon Don" Hit with Charges that Finally Stick (1992)

For years, John "the Teflon Don" Gotti, the dapper NYC boss of the Gambino crime family, got away with murder—literally. Criminal charges slid off him time after time thanks to his long reach, which extended to witnesses and jurors alike. But Gotti's "luck" ran out in 1992. After a nearly two-month trial, he was convicted of racketeering and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The FBI had finally gotten its man. How had prosecutors managed to get the charges to stick? More...
Absurdicuss
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:59:26 AM

Neurons: 30,734
Love that mug shot smile, John. I bet he doesn't feel cute after 20+ years in Joliet Federal Penitentiary.

If we were truly a nation of laws, not men, then Gotti's inmates would include many federally elected politicians.

Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:31:18 AM

Neurons: 34,034
Yes, that has to be the best mug shot I've ever seen. I guess he didn't think he'd be there for long.

He doesn't look too good in the 'Last photo of John Gotti, taken by the Bureau of Prisons on October 17, 2001' shown in the written piece. (Sorry but I don't know how to insert the photo here)

Based on tapes from FBI bugs played at pretrial hearings the Gambino administration was denied bail. At the same time, attorneys Bruce Cutler and Gerald Shargel were disqualified from defending Gotti and Gravano after prosecutors successfully contended they were "part of the evidence" and thus liable to be called as witnesses. Prosecutors argued that Cutler and Shargel not only knew about potential criminal activity, but had worked as "in-house counsel" for the Gambino organization.[101][102] Gotti subsequently hired Albert Krieger, a Miami attorney who had worked with Joseph Bonanno, to replace Cutler.[103][104]

monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 8:34:41 AM

Neurons: 7,576,446
John Gotti, the Last Mafia Icon
'Teflon Don'
The newspapers reported peripheral stories that were going on during the trial. They discussed how courtroom guards gave Gotti the VIP treatment, clearing onlookers so the Dapper Don and his attorneys could move about the courthouse. One newspaper wrote that Gotti was "never unattended." Associates held umbrellas for him when it rained, while another aide stood ready with paper towels as he washed his hands in the men's room. Actors Tony LaBianco and Ray Sharkey attended parts of the trial. It was believed that one of them would portray the mob boss in an upcoming movie.

BY Allan May
curmudgeonine
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 9:00:39 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I'm sure he was so used to being caught then let go, that mug shots were a joke to him
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:29:12 PM

Hi monamagda, that is very interesting. Prison must have come as a shock to Gotti after being treated like some sort of demi-god for so long.
Marguerite
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:11:33 PM

Neurons: 23,973
If Gotti was making up to 11 million a year during his tenure as boss of the Gambino crime consortium, where is all that money today? I don't know why print media gives Gotti and his ilk so much coverage: he was just a thug and added nothing what ever to what it means to be human.
johnfl
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:28:11 PM

Neurons: 484,397
POOR JOHNNY GOT A BAD RAP.Shame on you
Haz
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:04:58 PM

Hi johnfl. I was just wondering, are you a relative of Mr Gotti?

In response to Marquerite, I think that the media does everything to keep us distracted from the important and the worthy things in life. It is actually getting worse as the years go by and I no longer source any information from our 'free' press.

The BBC is hailed as a flagship example of good reporting in Britain. It makes me feel ashamed most of the time and I now refuse to switch it on.
kenturner1
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:55:34 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Interesting article.