mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,236
Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt

The Sunday of St. Mary of Egypt is celebrated by Orthodox Christians on the fifth Sunday of Great Lent, and also on April 1. St. Mary was a sinful, lustful woman who repented and became devout. She is seen as the least worthy person, who through God's mercy became a treasure chosen by God. She is revered as a patron saint of penitent women. On the fifth Sunday of Great Lent, St. Mary of Egypt is the subject of sermons during the Divine Liturgy. On this day, Orthodox priests typically bless dried fruit after the services. More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:15:42 AM

Neurons: 170,308
All part of the Easter celebration
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:54:16 AM

Neurons: 23,973
I wonder if anyone can believe the story that St. Mary told about not being able to enter a church in Jerusalem due to a great force impeding her entrance? It seems pure poppycock to me.
Would a just and merciful God intervene in this one instance, but let monstrous atrocities go uncontested?
Primo Levi, a holocaust survivor, was so shocked when he would see a man on his knees to God thanking him for sparing him from the selection process for death only to see that same man selected for death the next day.
Levi faced the same selection process the following day and almost conceded to prayer only to tell himself:
"A prayer under these conditions would have been only absurd but blasphemous, obscene, laden with the greatest impiety of which a nonbeliever is capable. I rejected the temptation: I knew that otherwise were I to survive I would have to be ashamed of It." --The Drowned and the Saved (1986)
I wonder if anyone can believe the story that St. Mary told about not being able to enter a church in Jerusalem due to a great force impeding her entrance? It seems pure poppycock to me.
Would a just and merciful God intervene in this one instance, but let monstrous atrociites go uncontested?
Primo Levi, a holocaust survivor, was so shocked when he would see a man on his knees to God thanking him for sparing him from the selection process for death only to see that same man selected for death the next day.
Levi faced the same selection process the following day and almost conceded to prayer only to tell himself "A prayer under these conditions would have been only only absurd but blasphemous, obscene, laen with the greatest impiety of which a nonbeliever is capable. I rejectd the temptation: I knew that otherwise were I to survive I would have to be ashamed of it." --The Drowned and the Saved (1986)
Haz
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 12:25:40 PM

Neurons: 34,034
Stories from the Bible should not be taken literally.

Remember that there are only two examples of women in the Bible. Those that give birth without ever being touched by a man and those who are dirty, low-down slappers!

The Bible was compiled by men to control their populations. I think it was Constantine who put all the books of the Bible together; omitting those that he did not like (including everything written by women). Papers have been found hidden in the desert that were purportedly written by this most sinful of women, Mary!

When you think about it; we Westerners say that Islam is against women yet there are writings in the Koran contributed by women! What does that tell us?

As an aside - please do not take offence by what I have written. I am not against religion if it helps people to get through their lives... that is what it is for. I just think all religions have serious flaws.
johnfl
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:42:33 PM

Neurons: 484,397
hail MaryPray full of grace.
johnfl
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 1:43:16 PM

Neurons: 484,397
hail MaryPray full of grace.
Haz
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:54:55 PM

Neurons: 34,034
You sound very Catholic johnfl... none of my Church of England friends know this prayer as the Church of England does not accept Mary was a virgin so they do not use it!
Marguerite
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:20:37 PM

Neurons: 23,973
Haz: is St Paul's Catheral in London an Anglican Church? Just curious

As for Mary being a virgin Jesus had brothers and sisters.
Miriam...
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 12:58:12 AM

Neurons: 12,634
To Marguerite: I could not read The Drowned and The Saved. I remember buying it and trying to read it, but having to put it down. Even now, I cannot bear to look at the cover of the book.

Women have always, most generally, been portrayed badly in literature.
Miriam...
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:02:07 AM

Neurons: 12,634
Miriam... wrote:
To Marguerite: I could not read The Drowned and The Saved. I remember buying it and trying to read it, but having to put it down. Even now, I cannot bear to look at the cover of the book.

Women have always, most generally, been portrayed badly in literature by men.