The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Daylight Saving Time Adopted as Law in the US (1918) Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,656
Daylight Saving Time Adopted as Law in the US (1918)

Daylight saving time (DST) is the system of advancing clocks forward one hour near the start of spring to increase "usable" hours of daylight in the afternoon. Though Benjamin Franklin proposed the idea in 1784, DST was not widely adopted until World War I. It was first used in Western European countries like Germany and England, and Newfoundland became one of the first North American jurisdictions to adopt DST in 1917. The US followed suit a year later. Which two US states do not observe DST? More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 8:49:48 AM

Neurons: 170,308
DST is not observed in Saskatchewan, Canada
Haz
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:54:55 AM

Neurons: 34,034
Is it St. Paul and Minneapolis?

I didn't know other countries still did it. I always did wonder.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:03:19 PM

Neurons: 6,219,160
My beautiful country, Colombia, with its privilege location on the planet, days have always the same level of solar lighting and the sun rises and sets every day a the same time!
R E H
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 1:47:24 PM

Neurons: 37,206
It is far past time the ridiculous notion of daylight savings time was thrown on the trash heap of history. At best it's ineffective. At worst it kills.
Apsu
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:22:40 PM

Neurons: 84,885
I believe Arizona is one of the U.S. states that does not observe DST.
Marguerite
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2014 9:36:18 PM

Neurons: 23,973
It is so refreshing to read some one write that their country is beautiful as did monamagda from Columbia. I would like to see that magnificently green country. as for day light saving the article was so long that I gave up half way. so I dont' know the argument either for or against. I like daylight and bright sunny skies but I also like the cold, just not the dark. The only time I like dark skies is in the summer. it seems less threatening them
early_apex
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:41:14 PM

Neurons: 12,855
In the U.S., it is Indiana and Arizona ("why would we want another hour of sunshine?") that do not observe DST. Indiana is right on the edge of a time zone anyway, so they can choose to synchronize with the state to their east or the state to their west (Ohio and Illinois, respectively).

An interesting side note is that the Navajo Nation does observe DST, and their reservations include a sizable percentage of the real estate in Arizona, so this time of year, your local time changes by an hour when you travel onto of off of the rez.

DST makes less sense as you get closer to the equator, where, as monamagda points out, the days do not change in length throughout the year.

Here is a website I found listing effective dates for DST for several countries around the world.