mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/7/2009
Posts: 33,212
Neurons: 98,814
Location: Inside Farlex computers
Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored...

Herman Melville (1819-1891)
capitán
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:14:50 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/18/2013
Posts: 495
Neurons: 28,396
Location: San Salvador, San Salvador, El Salvador
“All goes onward and outward, nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier.”
W.W.
dusty
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:19:28 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/13/2012
Posts: 1,770
Neurons: 5,765
At first I thought that it was Conrad who wrote the quote, I wish the two could meld their minds and write a book as one crazy author
avi21nash
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:24:50 AM

Rank: Newbie

Joined: 2/9/2014
Posts: 9
Neurons: 3,773
Location: New Delhi, NCT, India
true
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:45:21 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/27/2014
Posts: 2,500
Neurons: 2,138,500
Location: Tbilisi, T'bilisi, Georgia
Let us hope so.
sarah71
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:37:27 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/18/2011
Posts: 553
Neurons: 80,490
Location: Turin, Piedmont, Italy
dusty wrote:
At first I thought that it was Conrad who wrote the quote, I wish the two could meld their minds and write a book as one crazy author


You might find in P.K. Dick what you're looking for..
pedro
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:48:20 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/21/2009
Posts: 13,057
Neurons: 63,022
'Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored...'

sounds as if he's halfway there
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:31:26 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/8/2013
Posts: 2,886
Neurons: 30,734
Location: Jefferson, South Carolina, United States
Death bed reports of portals are not uncommon.
RamufAznag
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:06:39 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/19/2014
Posts: 321
Neurons: 578,405
Location: Hirātī, Helmand, Afghanistan
All hail the WHITE WHALE!
adele T
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:53:24 AM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/22/2014
Posts: 33
Neurons: 154



Quote of the DaY
Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored...
Herman Melville (1819-1891)

To accept that death is part of our life is an accurate position to deal with it and be wise about it.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:57:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/23/2011
Posts: 567
Neurons: 170,308
Location: Orillia, Ontario, Canada
Good words.
Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:03:35 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/26/2013
Posts: 3,465
Neurons: 350,719
Location: Minsk, Minskaya Voblasts', Belarus
Daemon wrote:
Death is only a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored...

Herman Melville (1819-1891)

This region may be strange as it is or even more, but not untried. We came into this life from there only to forget it right after birth.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:07:06 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/4/2014
Posts: 8,578
Neurons: 7,191,559
Location: Bogotá, Bogota D.C., Colombia
I wonder, so which is life if not "a launching into the region of the strange Untried; it is but the first salutation to the possibilities of the immense Remote, the Wild, the Watery, the Unshored...."
kenturner1
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 12:43:00 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 1/26/2014
Posts: 309
Neurons: 11,475
Location: Steubenville, Ohio, United States
Death is a plunge into the unknown. No matter what's taught or believed, it may not be exactly like what we perceive.
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:12:18 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/14/2010
Posts: 2,409
Neurons: 12,902
A launching into the region of nothingness. But life will go on in a different form.
Marguerite
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:15:14 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/26/2010
Posts: 538
Neurons: 23,973
Location: Hebron, Connecticut, United States
It is odd indeed that people talk about death as if it is knowable. No one has ever come back from the dead to discouse on it.
ellana
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 4:58:25 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/19/2010
Posts: 673
Neurons: 127,363
Location: Roquefort, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur, France
I have to agree with Marguerite... Let the other side of the curtain be a surprise, or peace and quiet!
Christine
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 6:06:54 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/3/2009
Posts: 3,917
Neurons: 15,842
kenturner1 wrote:
Death is a plunge into the unknown. No matter what's taught or believed, it may not be exactly like what we perceive.


or it is!!
RamufAznag
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:11:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/19/2014
Posts: 321
Neurons: 578,405
Location: Hirātī, Helmand, Afghanistan
Has anyone here already passed out? As in fainting? OK if you have, dying is just like it. One moment you're living then (for whatever reason) you loose consciousness and then there's NOTHING. Absolutely nothing, total darkness, non existence.
Believe me that's it, I've already been there (a couple of times in the past - doesn't happen now that I'm healthy) and have fortunately returned, which is the best part of fainting , the warping back into existence (it's awesome).
This said, would you people stop indulging in great theories about plain old death! It's uninteresting and boring - except if it's this one:

Think about life instead because it's so much fun...
Henry Martinez
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:23:23 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/16/2014
Posts: 42
Neurons: 1,811
We are born alone, we may share our experiences with others but we are still alone, we die alone and there is no reason to believe we shall not spend eternity, if that exists, alone. We are like God, if you will, alone, always within ourselves, alone. There is no watery, shorelessness. We may continue after death, even as a spark of energy shooting through the universe, maybe to become part of the foundation of a new world, but we shall continue alone. Frankly it depresses the hell out of me, and frightens me, but I have yet to learn to embrace my aloneness. If that day ever comes, and time IS growing short, I shall look death in the eye and say, "Come on motherfucker, let's see what you got!".
Absurdicuss
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:27:14 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 1/8/2013
Posts: 2,886
Neurons: 30,734
Location: Jefferson, South Carolina, United States
RamufAznag wrote:
Has anyone here already passed out? As in fainting? OK if you have, dying is just like it. One moment you're living then (for whatever reason) you loose consciousness and then there's NOTHING. Absolutely nothing, total darkness, non existence.
Believe me that's it, I've already been there (a couple of times in the past - doesn't happen now that I'm healthy) and have fortunately returned, which is the best part of fainting , the warping back into existence (it's awesome).
This said, would you people stop indulging in great theories about plain old death! It's uninteresting and boring

Think about life instead because it's so much fun...


I appreciate your comments Ramuf, but wholly disagree.

From your description it sounds like you had a near death experience, which is obviously, given your current state of aliveness different than being dead.

Now if you were to stay dead for a couple of days and then come back to life, then I perceive that you would have something of substance to report.

Your fainting spells, while serious, and I rejoice that you are now healthy, do not constitute "non existence" and cannot be regarded as expert opinion on the matter.


Only one person in history has claimed to have resurrected from death. His story has been chronicled, vetted and scrutinized more than any other in the history of humanity, yet only a minority of the world's population believe that it is true.





I do enjoy fun and it is here that we are in agreement so I conclude with you, on a high note.


Christine
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 9:02:54 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/3/2009
Posts: 3,917
Neurons: 15,842
Henry Martinez wrote:
We are born alone, we may share our experiences with others but we are still alone, we die alone and there is no reason to believe we shall not spend eternity, if that exists, alone. We are like God, if you will, alone, always within ourselves, alone. There is no watery, shorelessness. We may continue after death, even as a spark of energy shooting through the universe, maybe to become part of the foundation of a new world, but we shall continue alone. Frankly it depresses the hell out of me, and frightens me, but I have yet to learn to embrace my aloneness. If that day ever comes, and time IS growing short, I shall look death in the eye and say, "Come on motherfucker, let's see what you got!".


no swearing on this site
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.