mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Mobile Devices Distracting Parents at Mealtimes Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
Mobile Devices Distracting Parents at Mealtimes

Face-to-face interactions with their caregivers are crucial to children's cognitive, linguistic, and emotional development, yet the allure of mobile devices is increasingly pulling parents' attention away from their kids at valuable bonding times, like meals. Researchers observed a number of families dining at fast food restaurants in various Boston, Massachusetts, neighborhoods and found that nearly three-quarters of the adults used a mobile device during the meal, with about a third using the device throughout. More...
Absurdicuss
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 2:56:09 AM

Neurons: 30,734
Everybody has their head in a box these days. I'm looking at a monitor as I type this message.
But since I declined the text feature on my crude, outdated flip phone, I am free to observe the pathetic state of people everywhere staring transfixed into their tiny handheld world, talking with someone who's not physically there instead of the person that is right next to them.

The illusion of independence fitted inconspicuously into the collective hive.
curmudgeonine
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 9:37:07 AM

Neurons: 170,308
People have to learn where their PROPER priorities lie.
Azam Siraj
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 9:57:49 AM

Neurons: 6,332
The scenario plays out in restaurants everywhere: Mother or father looks at the smartphone or tablet, swiping, scrolling, reading, while son or daughter sits across the table. Or maybe a child’s acting up, and instead of engaging, a parent hands over a tablet to distract the child with a game of Fruit Ninja.
kphathi
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 10:15:52 AM

Neurons: 21,198
The findings confirm what we already know. This is the case at homes too. Its a question of priorities
StephenLion
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:52:19 AM

Neurons: 54,301
Think A few years ago in a small cafe here in London (UK) I observed a mother with her young son. They were sat opposite each other not more than two foot of space separated them.Yet the mother was not in the same world as her bored and well behaved son, as she was having a conversation with someone on her mobile and eating her meal at the same time. Double rudeness in my opinion, though I may be wrong.
It would not surprise me that when her son did something wrong she would utter those parental words of dispair "I just don't know my child anymore" or "He/she will not listen to me or do as I ask him/her"............
Marguerite
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:52:31 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Since I fallen in love with my laptop, I developed the attention span of a gnat. I was amazed when watching Clueless that the two girls while talking to each other via cell phone when they met up they still talk to each via cellphone as they walk side by side.
kenturner1
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 8:45:10 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Signs of the times.
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Monday, March 17, 2014 10:08:05 AM

Neurons: 1,430,822
Marguerite wrote:
Since I fallen in love with my laptop, I developed the attention span of a gnat. I was amazed when watching Clueless that the two girls while talking to each other via cell phone when they met up they still talk to each via cellphone as they walk side by side.

Yes. And this is a film that's 20 years old!