The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Fat Drug Options
reinsalkas
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 10:55:02 AM

Neurons: 11,683
Well, I have just read this in the NY Times and I can say that it opened a new window for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/opinion/sunday/the-fat-drug.html?src=me

I had read about the resistance of bacteria and viruses due to high use of antibiotics, but that it could cause obesity? or that farm animals were fed antibiotics much more often than humans?

Such things we humans do!

easton
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 12:38:58 PM

Neurons: 4,014
It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths that men will go to for financial gain, without the slightest regard for the effect upon their fellow human beings. Greed,power and political correctness will be the downfall of us all.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 7:57:51 PM

Neurons: 350,106
reinsalkas wrote:
Well, I have just read this in the NY Times and I can say that it opened a new window for me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/opinion/sunday/the-fat-drug.html?src=me

I had read about the resistance of bacteria and viruses due to high use of antibiotics, but that it could cause obesity? or that farm animals were fed antibiotics much more often than humans?

Such things we humans do!

The main process that causes obesity is hidden in plain sight.

Insulin is a storage hormone that reduces excess blood sugar through two mechanisms: 1) reducing blood glucose by storing it (eventually as fat) and by securing fat so that it can't be converted into blood glucose (making losing fat very, very difficult).

Elevated insulin is also very tightly correlated with elevated incidence of chronic disease (and Big Pharma profits!)

How do you elevate insulin?

You elevate insulin when your glycemic load (carb intake time glycemic index) is too high.

This knowledge would absolutely wreck Big Pharma profits, hence, Big Pharma doesn't finance it in the medical schools they control.

A former MIT PhD lipid research developed the Zone Diet in order to keep your insulin in a therapeutic zone. It is an anti-inflammatory diet as well. He has a number of books on the subject - I recommend The Anti-Inflammation Zone and The Anti Aging Zone, but his others are good as well.

The best diet I've been able to put together is the Organic Paleo Zone Diet. Dr. Sears' books cover the benefits of paleo (low glycemic index vegetables are a staple), but he doesn't get into non (pesticide and herbicide saturated) GMO and organic foods.

The results can be powerful - even if you've never heard of the Zone Diet.

Search "Minding Your Mitochondria" on youtube and you'll find the story of a woman who reversed her late stage multiple sclerosis using a diet that fits the description of "organic paleo Zone Diet" to a "T".

Big Pharma will run from this incredible outcome because it threatens their legal corporate mandate to maximize profits for their Biggest Finance Capital OWNERS AND CONTROLLERS.
Hope2
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:27:28 AM

Neurons: 16,769
This might be a good reason to stop eating meat. You save the animals and the environment too, as well as yourself. You do have to be careful to get all the correct proteins if you become a vegetarian. (You as in the impersonal 'you'.)

But If you eat meat, eat only organic bought from a farmer you trust, if possible. If not, the major supermarkets in Canada and the US sell antibiotic and hormone free meat that is range free or grass fed. If there is enough demand, the prices will come down.

Diets are not necessary to control glycemic index or to keep a natural weight. Yo-yo dieting causes weight gain.

A lifestyle of getting enough sleep, exercise, and eating a well balanced diet of whole grains, good protein, fruits and vegetables, and good fats such as olive oil, walnuts, and small fish oil, will keep one healthy, wealthy, and wise. Eating protein with every meal and snack and using agave and stevia as sweeteners will keep the glycemic index down. We rotate our meals as much as possible to get a variety of foods.

Filtered water such as reverse osmosis or distilled water, and as many organic foods as you can afford will help to prevent pesticides from building up in the body any more than they already have. Studies have shown that pesticides also cause weight gain. And we take our own glass bottles of water with us when out. Plastics have hormonal like properties and they leach into the food from coatings on pans and food bottled in plastic, studies have shown.

Smoking, drinking empty calories of alcohol, and eating chips, fried foods, and donuts. etc. cause obesity too. We prepare our own food and eat out as a treat, not all the time. Sugar should be a treat too, like it used to be. Some people cannot handle excess salt. I prepared my own food even when teaching and looking after a family. If you are organized and make it a priority, it can be done.

We store our food in glass, not plastic, whenever possible.

We take antibiotics only when we are seriously about to die. And if you have to take them, for goodness sake, take probiotics. We rotate different kinds every day. Digestive enzymes help too. Your immune system is mainly in your gut.

If you are considering supplements, Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Omega 3 fats are the important ones but check with your doctor before taking anything.

My doctor told me that people have to be sick enough before they will make lifestyle changes. When I first started on this, for me necessary, lifestyle in 1980, a little bit at a time, the only source of organic food for me was a religious community who graciously sold me the organic food they grew for themselves. What a change nowadays.

I had a lump in my throat the first time I walked into a large health food store here in Naples last year where the produce in the store is 100% organic and everything is monitored for goodness.

I am not a doctor and anything I say here is my own philosophy and not meant as a prescription for anyone else. But I have picked a lot of doctors' and nutrituionists' brains over the years.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:33:20 AM

Hope2 wrote:
This might be a good reason to stop eating meat. You save the animals and the environment too, as well as yourself. You do have to be careful to get all the correct proteins if you become a vegetarian. (You as in the impersonal 'you'.)

But If you eat meat, eat only organic bought from a farmer you trust, if possible. If not, the major supermarkets in Canada and the US sell antibiotic and hormone free meat that is range free or grass fed. If there is enough demand, the prices will come down.

Diets are not necessary to control glycemic index or to keep a natural weight. Yo-yo dieting causes weight gain.

A lifestyle of getting enough sleep, exercise, and eating a well balanced diet of whole grains, good protein, fruits and vegetables, and good fats such as olive oil, walnuts, and small fish oil, will keep one healthy, wealthy, and wise. Eating protein with every meal and snack and using agave and stevia as sweeteners will keep the glycemic index down. We rotate our meals as much as possible to get a variety of foods.

Filtered water such as reverse osmosis or distilled water, and as many organic foods as you can afford will help to prevent pesticides from building up in the body any more than they already have. Studies have shown that pesticides also cause weight gain. And we take our own glass bottles of water with us when out. Plastics have hormonal like properties and they leach into the food from coatings on pans and food bottled in plastic, studies have shown.

Smoking, drinking empty calories of alcohol, and eating chips, fried foods, and donuts. etc. cause obesity too. We prepare our own food and eat out as a treat, not all the time. Sugar should be a treat too, like it used to be. Some people cannot handle excess salt. I prepared my own food even when teaching and looking after a family. If you are organized and make it a priority, it can be done.

We store our food in glass, not plastic, whenever possible.

We take antibiotics only when we are seriously about to die. And if you have to take them, for goodness sake, take probiotics. We rotate different kinds every day. Digestive enzymes help too. Your immune system is mainly in your gut.

If you are considering supplements, Vitamin D, Magnesium, and Omega 3 fats are the important ones but check with your doctor before taking anything.

My doctor told me that people have to be sick enough before they will make lifestyle changes. When I first started on this, for me necessary, lifestyle in 1980, a little bit at a time, the only source of organic food for me was a religious community who graciously sold me the organic food they grew for themselves. What a change nowadays.

I had a lump in my throat the first time I walked into a large health food store here in Naples last year where the produce in the store is 100% organic and everything is monitored for goodness.

I am not a doctor and anything I say here is my own philosophy and not meant as a prescription for anyone else. But I have picked a lot of doctors' and nutrituionists' brains over the years.

Hi Hope2, thanks for the good recommendations.

Two points of clarification.

1. The #1 definition of "diet" is simply what one eats... and that's how I use the term.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/diet

If people think of it as an alternate eating plan, they can substitute "eating lifestyle" to differentiate from their understanding of diet...

2. All fish oils are not the same. I tried a Costco brand and it was toxic. It made me dizzy and gave me a bad headache - and I never get dizzy and I never get headaches. I tossed it in the trash can.

I only buy IFOS 5 star 3rd party certified fish oils. One can search the term and find the IFOS 5 star fish oils listed. The best bang for the buck that I've found (subject to change - so check it out yourself!) is OmaPure purchased at least 10 at a time. Life Extension has a brand that is good as well, but it is lower in EPA and higher in DHA - and you need a membership to get the good pricing.

When it comes to liquid (for small children and people who prefer it), I only use OmegaRX from ZoneDiet.com.

Also note that fish oil is fat soluble, so taking it with organic extra virgin olive oil should increase its bioavailability.

About 40% of our brains are DHA by weight and it makes sense to supply the building blocks to the brain so it can maximize its potential.

My son has been on fish oil since about 7 years old. His memory is excellent. He won his 5th grade spelling bee, was tied for 3rd in his 6th grade spelling bee (the presenter mispronounced lethargy as "lah-thargy" - my son went with the wrong pronunciation and misspelled a word he never missed in practice. In 7th grade he won the school spelling bee beating both students that finished above him the previous year (and with the experience of knowing that the pronunciations can't be relied upon).

His fine motor skills are excellent. His art was voted the best in a major metropolitan school district two years in a row. His picture was top 6 in the district (several school districts combined), but he hasn't won the district's #1 spot to compete in state... yet. ;-) It is hard to predict a #1 district finish in an area that has 2-3 million people in it (not all are in middle school and not all middle schoolers compete, I'm just giving an idea of the population size), but I think he has a really good chance next year... I saw the winning picture this year and it didn't do much for me. I preferred a couple of the runner-ups to it and I could have seen one of the runner ups beating my son's picture - it was very good. The winner (8th grader) had the cliche artist statement about the whole world getting along, though... and I guess that was judged to be uber important. I guess it was very creating (a tree / brain shape with feel good words emanating from it)... and art is in the eye of the beholder - so I'm not saying it was bad, it just wasn't too appealing to my non artistic eye.

The bottom line is I'm very happy with his IFOS 5-star fish oil enhanced neurological development and I'd love to see other children have similar successes.
Hope2
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:37:52 PM

Neurons: 16,769
Hi Trivium.

We were all given cod liver oil as children but that seems to have disappeared these days.

I do not know your brands but I never buy any supplement from any place other than a health food store or a small Vitamin Shoppe (not necessarily the chains) and from companies that I know are good. (Experience over the years, same as you.) Most of them are companies that will not let a store carry their product unless there is a certified healthcare practitioner affiliated with them. They are called 'professional' companies. My MD who was also ACAM, I think that was the name, (I have to look up the letters behind his name as I forget but it is integrative medicine ) recommended some for me and monitored my intake. I also do not buy any product with a lot of extra excipients and try to get liquid first, then capsules, or softgels. Tablets are harder to digest.

Blood tests are available to check to see if one needs such supplements as Vitamin D or Magnesium.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:51:39 PM

Neurons: 583,484
Here we eat Salmon or other fish at least twice a week, and have those cod liver pills, too.
Trivium_Discipulus
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:47:57 AM

Hope2 wrote:
Hi Trivium.

We were all given cod liver oil as children but that seems to have disappeared these days.

I do not know your brands but I never buy any supplement from any place other than a health food store or a small Vitamin Shoppe (not necessarily the chains) and from companies that I know are good. (Experience over the years, same as you.) Most of them are companies that will not let a store carry their product unless there is a certified healthcare practitioner affiliated with them. They are called 'professional' companies. My MD who was also ACAM, I think that was the name, (I have to look up the letters behind his name as I forget but it is integrative medicine ) recommended some for me and monitored my intake. I also do not buy any product with a lot of extra excipients and try to get liquid first, then capsules, or softgels. Tablets are harder to digest.

Blood tests are available to check to see if one needs such supplements as Vitamin D or Magnesium.

The IFOS 5 star specifications are posted for easy comparison...

Just go here:

http://www.ifosprogram.com/consumer-reports.aspx

click on a brand and then a report. Within the PDFed report you will see the testing specifications and you can compare that to any product of your choice, assuming they release the data.

Vitamin D and magnesium are good recommendations... make sure to take the natural version of vitamin D to get the best effect.

If You Take Oral Vitamin D You MUST Avoid Making This Serious Mistake

http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_data/health/food/news.php?q=1330102744

Also of note...

Avoid Flu Shots, Take Vitamin D Instead

http://archive.lewrockwell.com/miller/miller27.html
Klaas V
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 7:02:29 AM

Neurons: 4,802
Alice M Toaster
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 11:28:20 AM

Neurons: 1,396,883
Chia seeds are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. They can be bought in bulk and are flavorless, so they can be added to anything.

There are many websites with information, too many to choose from, so I've opted to not include a link.

Bon appétit!
reinsalkas
Posted: Friday, March 28, 2014 9:23:21 AM

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-fda-antibiotics-20140326,0,985413.story#axzz2xGNKykii

I think that at least, this is a path in the right direction! (And will set a precedent for other less developed nations -eg mine-)

Joy Frohlich
Posted: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 9:32:39 AM

Neurons: 240,520
Very worrying. Animals being fed so many antibiotics. When we eat the animals, some of those antibiotics can affect us. It could make us fat, it could also increase our resistance of antibiotics, and that resistance is already a problem!
Miriam...
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:24:23 AM

Neurons: 12,634
Lately, I have been contemplating buying distilled water to drink. However, I feel troubled, wondering if the distilled water sold in plastic bottles leach chemical/plastic from the bottle. It is so difficult to find distilled water packaged in glass. I wonder if any of the posters here on this thread would know whether it does, and if it is safe?
reinsalkas
Posted: Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:41:24 AM

Miriam... wrote:
Lately, I have been contemplating buying distilled water to drink. However, I feel troubled, wondering if the distilled water sold in plastic bottles leach chemical/plastic from the bottle. It is so difficult to find distilled water packaged in glass. I wonder if any of the posters here on this thread would know whether it does, and if it is safe?

You should not drink distilled water, humans must drink water with minerals and salts. Distilled water is for engines.
Tovarish
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2014 2:03:36 AM

Neurons: 39,933
To assume or believe that cattle feed lots do not administering anti-Bs is naive.

If a bullock get an infection from a cut or kick, that beast is deemed unfit by the company vet, unsuitable for human consumption, slaughter etc, for they are hardly standing around in hygenic yards.

The drugs are administered as a preemptive strike for infections, when we are talking thousands $$ for grain fed beef on the hoof it is sound

business practices, for everyone other than the consumer.