mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
First Biomarker for Depression Identified Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,932
First Biomarker for Depression Identified

Researchers have identified the first biomarker for clinical depression, and it could be helpful in identifying teenage boys at risk of developing the mental illness. Teen boys with depressive mood symptoms, such as feelings of misery, loneliness, or of not being loved, who also had high levels of the stress hormone cortisol were 14 times more likely to develop depression than those with low cortisol levels and no depressive symptoms. During the course of one three-year study, about half of the boys identified as high-risk using this screening tool went on to be diagnosed with clinical depression. More...
Dialectrum
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:38:58 AM

Neurons: 17,968
"Cortisol responses to caffeine are reduced, but not eliminated, in healthy young men and women who consume caffeine on a daily basis." (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2257922/)

....as I sip my first cup of morning coffee :)
curmudgeonine
Posted: Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:21:52 AM

Neurons: 170,308
Could be helpful in identifying teenaged boys at risk . . . I would hope it would help in identifying teenaged girls too. I was one of those girls, and have suffered from depression since I was in my preteen years. More than 50 years I've fought it.