mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Marzas Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 94,569
Marzas

On the last night of February and the first of March in Spain, young marceros, or March serenaders, wander through the streets singing songs to their girlfriends and asking for donations of food and sweets to celebrate the arrival of spring. The term marzas refers both to the traditional songs they sing and to the gifts they receive. Although the songs themselves vary, they always mention the month of March and the coming of spring, leading many to believe that the tradition has its roots in pagan rituals celebrating the passing of winter. More...
curmudgeonine
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 8:51:50 AM

Neurons: 170,308
I'd love to see this happen here in my northern Canadian town, but everyone would freeze. Spring doesn't look like it's coming for a while. (written 2014 02 28)
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 5:17:50 PM

Neurons: 23,973

I would love to see and hear a marcero singing love songs. It would herald the end of this endlessly cold winter. Today in New England it is only 24 degrees Farenheit--tonight will be 10. The ice is two feet thick. But I love the winter, especially the colors of the sky at sunset. The air is crisp and clean and envigrorating. Viva winter just ave spring.