The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The Lingam Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, February 27, 2014 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 93,384
The Lingam

The lingam is a Hindu symbol of the god Shiva and of generative power. Fashioned from wood, gems, metal, or stone, lingams are common in family shrines throughout India. Historically, the lingam was a representation of the phallus, and a sexual dimension is apparent today as the yoni—symbol of the female sex organ—often forms the base of the lingam to emphasize the male and female aspects of existence. What did British missionary William Ward say about lingams in his 1815 book? More...
Westley Payne
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:39:19 AM

Neurons: 19,966
How long it will take till the end of this, I wonder!!!
curmudgeonine
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 8:32:25 AM

Neurons: 170,308
British missionary William Ward criticized the worship of the lingam (along with virtually all other Indian religious rituals) in his influential 1815 book A View of the History, Literature, and Mythology of the Hindoos, calling it "the last state of degradation to which human nature can be driven", and stating that its symbolism was "too gross, even when refined as much as possible, to meet the public eye."
Marguerite
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 11:49:20 AM

Neurons: 23,973
Imagine the horror of an Indians after they read William Ward's understanding of their reverent Lingam. That these willingfully ignorant and shockingly ungodly Brits could be their overlords must have been shocking indeed for they had nothing to learn from these empirial Brits other than how to enslave people. (If the person reading this entry is British I am not talking about you but the less than one percent who are ruling and have ruled since the creation of the nation states. My apology if I offend for that is not what I am about.)
Christine
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 3:55:14 PM

Neurons: 15,842
Marguerite wrote:
Imagine the horror of an Indians after they read William Ward's understanding of their reverent Lingam. That these willingfully ignorant and shockingly ungodly Brits could be their overlords must have been shocking indeed for they had nothing to learn from these empirial Brits other than how to enslave people. (If the person reading this entry is British I am not talking about you but the less than one percent who are ruling and have ruled since the creation of the nation states. My apology if I offend for that is not what I am about.)

http://abcnews.go.com/International/daughters-sale-indias-child-slavery-scourge/story?id=20540368
Daughters for Sale: India's Child Slavery Scourge
youme
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 6:10:40 PM

Neurons: 1,793
Amazing how people can create by their hands their own gods, and worship them! And amazing how some others reserve time to criticize things that are not even worth being mentioned!
kenturner1
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2014 8:42:03 PM

Neurons: 11,475
Interesting.